Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Read somewhere that Pesce did play LD with Dougie when Dougie was in Carolina. Probably didn’t play a whole lot, but still interesting…
It wasn't really with Dougie, but he was partnered with Justin faulk quite a bit when faulk was still in Carolina after Dougie came on board. Pesce played his off and faulk played his natural side when they were paired

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Just a random thought, came out of no where, but we should have kept Kulikov.

Kulikov played 38 games for us in what was a god awful, misery factory of a season and he’s somehow this board’s fave 3rd pair defender 4Ever.

Not sure chaining him in our basement, instead of sending him to playoff team, would have led him to want to stay here.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Kulikov played 38 games for us in what was a god awful, misery factory of a season and he’s somehow this board’s fave 3rd pair defender 4Ever.

Not sure chaining him in our basement, instead of sending him to playoff team, would have led him to want to stay here.
Uhhh ever hear of Stockholm syndrome???

Also, it was a joke.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This made me laugh out loud.

30 year rebuild finally coming to fruition..."See I told you so"

What's truly laughable is when the experts promote losing as the way to win a Stanley Cup.

For all the players like McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse and RNH, people seem to ignore the Paajarvis, Puljujarvis and Yakapovs that are long gone.

Let alone...wait for it...Taylor Hall.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I finally saw that random tweet about Pesce and Marino. Why would we want to subtract more D.

We need to get another veteran D not subtract.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Marino is a good d man who had a tough year on a team full of guys who had tough years. He's not the guy we should be moving on from. I'm worried what Fitz is thinking here. It feels like he might be on the verge of going nuclear with non core members of the team.

I get purging guys you don't think are part of the solution and even making short sighted moves if you think the window is now. But I think moves like trading Sharangovich and potentially Marino straight up hurt the teams chances to win a Cup. But whatever. If it works I'll sing Fitz's praises.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What's truly laughable is when the experts promote losing as the way to win a Stanley Cup.

For all the players like McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse and RNH, people seem to ignore the Paajarvis, Puljujarvis and Yakapovs that are long gone.

yeah, Taylor Hall being traded from the Oilers 8 years ago is definitely why they nearly won the Cup this year. Or Nail Yakupov (drafted 12 years ago) leaving Edmonton like 9 years ago.

what a weird post

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Marino is a good d man who had a tough year on a team full of guys who had tough years. He's not the guy we should be moving on from. I'm worried what Fitz is thinking here. It feels like he might be on the verge of going nuclear with non core members of the team.

I get purging guys you don't think are part of the solution and even making short sighted moves if you think the window is now. But I think moves like trading Sharangovich and potentially Marino straight up hurt the teams chances to win a Cup. But whatever. If it works I'll sing Fitz's praises.

If there is one person who deserves to be "purged"....it's Palat.

Reactions: Billdo

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If there is one person who deserves to be "purged"....it's Palat.

It’s great that you think that but he has a full NTC/NMC next season so he’s not going anywhere.

It turns into a 10 team trade list (w/ a NMC clause) in 25-26, which makes him sort of theoretically easier to move, so that’s nice.

His contract is currently buyout proof due to bonuses. The buyout in 25-26 isn’t great either.

I’m guessing there’s a real good chance his last year gets bought out in 2026.

It is what it is. If you want to complain about it, have at it, but he’s not going anywhere.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I don’t understand the anger toward palat. Just pretend Jack makes 9 and Nico makes 8.25 if you really need to cheer up about it. He’s the one guy on the team I would rely on to win a board battle with his body. He was paid to be a vet leader and perform in the playoffs. We have gotten him there once and he came exactly as advertised.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017

just curious - where were these guys drafted?

ekblad
barkov
tkachuk (or the guy he was traded for)
bennett
reinhardt

lol at pointing at the oilers for losing with a bunch of high draft picks as if the other team didn’t endure the same period of futility and rebuild the same way. what exactly is your point?

just surprised there wasn’t some dig at the hughes brothers shoehorned into this complaint

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
palat's meager production is in line with his output over the last 5 years or so, i think. it's been a minute since i looked it up. and yes, a guy making $6m should have more than 10 goals a season or whatever. fitz panicked and overpaid him by probably $2m. having said that, i'm really looking forward to seeing some of our guys under a better coach, and palat is one of them. assuming he can stay healthy, i'm betting that he pots over 15 next year and starts making the contract look a little more...Palat-able.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Is it a good contract? No. Does it really matter that much? Not yet, and if it does we can cross that bridge when we get there. If we're going to have a bad contract I'd rather it be somebody like Palat.

Reactions: Guadana

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
palat was brought here to step it up in the playoffs which he has done historically, for tampa and for us. not guaranteed we beat the rangers without his singular effort in game 7 last year. tired of all the bitching about him he’s not handcuffing us from making moves

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don’t understand the anger toward palat. Just pretend Jack makes 9 and Nico makes 8.25 if you really need to cheer up about it. He’s the one guy on the team I would rely on to win a board battle with his body. He was paid to be a vet leader and perform in the playoffs. We have gotten him there once and he came exactly as advertised.
I don’t think it’s worth this much anger but the point of good contracts isn’t to make up for the savings with bad ones. I’d rather have the 6M in cap space but it is what it is and he has value.

Reactions: theoptimist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad