Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A part of one of the most consequential plays of the decade at least.

We’d be so much better if he made 3.8 million per year. Things I would be so different.
There's still 4 years remaining on his contract and he looked like Tuomo Ruutu in 2016.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Can we pay Palat Dawson's ELC dollars and cap hit?

So that’s all it is? You make $6 million, you can’t have a terrible stretch of production in the top 9 but if you’re only in your third year, you get a pass?

Again, not defending his production, but it’s funny when some get passes and others don’t.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So that’s all it is? You make $6 million, you can’t have a terrible stretch of production in the top 9 but if you’re only in your third year, you get a pass?

Again, not defending his production, but it’s funny when some get passes and others don’t.
Yes. a 22 year old gets a bit more leeway than a veteran hired gun....every single time.

He was brought here for veteran leadership and he was absent in crunch time. Stop making excuses for him. I would love to see him gone honestly.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The difference here is that we literally have zero players like Palat or anyone in the pipeline that plays like him. And how many guys in free agency play like him and won’t get their own bag?

With this, Marino is awfully similar and locked up at a decent number. And we have one of the best offensive D in franchise history and a future number 1 already in house on the right side.

I think it would be more puzzling than a Palat deal unless we somehow avoid giving him huge term. Or maybe they’re comfortable with him on the left side and see him as a Siegs upgrade? Who knows.

People act like the board was awash with Palat defenders when it happened and I don’t remember that at all.

In fact the Tampa board was critical of how negative we were about the signing of their beloved glue guy.

A lot of it is just how much you want to bitch about it. It was clearly 1m too much and 1 year too long when it happened but that’s the bad team UFA tax.

I actually buy into his value as a vet but the older winger business is a bad buisiness to be in.

I don’t see the point in continually bitching about it. Adding more ugly UFA deals on top of the Palat one would earn Fitz a lot more new grief though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
People act like the board was awash with Palat defenders when it happened and I don’t remember that at all.

In fact the Tampa board was critical of how negative we were about the signing of their beloved glue guy.

A lot of it is just how much you want to bitch about it. It was clearly 1m too much and 1 year too long when it happened but that’s the bad team UFA tax.

I actually buy into his value as a vet but the older winger business is a bad buisiness to be in.

I don’t see the point in continually bitching about it. Adding more ugly UFA deals on top of the Palat one would earn Fitz a lot more new grief though.
I liked the move when it happened...we needed the elder statesmen... I felt like Haula and Palat were the right choice at the time

Ullmark to Ottawa

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Beyond everything that's being said, I'm not a huge fan of picking up players that Carolina is giving up on, even if they have plenty of reasons to do so. They don't make many mistakes.
I don't know if it's giving up on him. They offered him something around a 5x5 contract within the last year according to Friedman on the May 17th episode of 32 thoughts.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
If the team had competent goaltending, people would refer to Palat/Haula as those underrated, glue guy, straw that stirs the drink types. They still can be, it's just hard for defensively-responsible forwards to move the needle when the D, goaltending, and coaching system aren't great. The advanced stats did like both of their games this year though.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yes. a 22 year old gets a bit more leeway than a veteran hired gun....every single time.

He was brought here for veteran leadership and he was absent in crunch time. Stop making excuses for him. I would love to see him gone honestly.

No excuses being made at all, hence me saying I'm not defending his production because I'm not. I would like to see more production out of him. But I am capable of seeing his overall game being a net positive for the team. I'm not going to pin our crunch time issues on him when I'm sure if I go back to that stretch of games there were several other issues at play as well. I'd much rather have him here than not, personally.

Sorry I don't need to jump aboard the wagon that he creates imaginary issues for our roster construction because he hasn't, and I don't see it happening this year either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad