the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
IMG_7261.jpeg

Make it happen

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Colorado makes a lot of sense here.
Maybe just at the deadline he tells the Pens 'let me try and get another one' and then re-evaluates at the end of the season if he comes back or if he gets a 2-3 year deal on a major contender.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
It’s not happening.

Crosby isn’t Ray Bourque. He’s not Jarome Iginla. He doesn’t need to win, he’s won three Cups with Pittsburgh.

Dude is always rejuvenated playing with younger players and showing them the ropes, why wouldn’t he want to help rebuild the franchise he built before he hangs them up?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I get the sense Crosby wants to win. Realistically, Pittsburgh is headed for a very long rebuild. So it would surprise me in that sense that he would want to stay.

I also understand he has been there 20 years. Up there with Roethlisberger & Bettis as very popular Pittsburgh athletes. It's the only place he has known. In this sense, I can see why he would not want to move on.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
So like in terms of a range.

Are you talking top 10 prospects in hockey?
Are you talking 10-25 range?
25-50 range?
50-75 range?
75-100 range?

Why don’t you just tell us your definition of top prospect instead of this game you’re playing

It usually means one of the team’s top prospects. Therefore, fully dependent on the team. Is this your first NHL trade discussion?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
this isn’t your traditional rental so him becoming a ufa I don’t think diminishes his value as much your average pending ufa. Likely he will get permission to discuss an extension with the new team. It will probably take multiple 1st round picks and prospects.
Nah he's gonna play with McDavid at 4 nation's tournament or whatever and then sign a 3 mill deal with the Oilers

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Why don’t you just tell us your definition of top prospect instead of this game you’re playing

It usually means one of the team’s top prospects. Therefore, fully dependent on the team. Is this your first NHL trade discussion?
My definition of top prospect is a top 50 prospect in the NHL. Or a prospect that I would pay a 1st+ to get. Some people have different views on what fits that definition, so I asked his.

And young roster player is even more broad. Are we talking about a cost controlled top 6 or top 4 player at 22 on the rise who's likely worth multiple 1sts on his own, or a 23/24 year old decent player worth like a 2nd.

If we're talking young roster player and prospect and 1st that adds up to like 4 1sts of value, f*** no.

But if for example you want to look at the trade like Timo Meier got, 1st+Shakir+Zetterlund, then that becomes much more reasonable for a retained crosby

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021
He will retire as a Penguin, as he has said before. Crosby, of all people, will not renege.

If you’re talking about value, he is invaluable to the Penguins franchise, ownership, and fan base. Even hypothetically, his value is insanely inflated. I.E. all your first round picks for the next 10 years.

• Haha
Reactions: HabsQC

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
He will retire as a Penguin, as he has said before. Crosby, of all people, will not renege.

If you’re talking about value, he is invaluable to the Penguins franchise, ownership, and fan base. Even hypothetically, his value is insanely inflated. I.E. all your first round picks for the next 10 years.

If he's ready to move on the organization would be stupid not to accept a 1st + for him.

Zero reason for him to cut his career short by several seasons just to grind it out in Pittsburgh. It's one thing to say you want to stay with one franchise then to suddenly realize you're going to have to work 2-3x harder going forward, in your late 30s, just for your team to maybe compete down the stretch for an 8th seed - that's if one of the other teams falls off.

Or go somewhere as the number 2 guy and play meaningful games, with better linemates, padding your stats, and elongating your career no longer being the sole focus of the opposing team for all 82 games.

Colorado, Boston, Montreal - they all make sense. But so do many others. I'd just like to see him play meaningful hockey again.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
If he's ready to move on the organization would be stupid not to accept a 1st + for him.

Zero reason for him to cut his career short by several seasons just to grind it out in Pittsburgh. It's one thing to say you want to stay with one franchise then to suddenly realize you're going to have to work 2-3x harder going forward, in your late 30s, just for your team to maybe compete down the stretch for an 8th seed - that's if one of the other teams falls off.

Or go somewhere as the number 2 guy and play meaningful games, with better linemates, padding your stats, and elongating your career no longer being the sole focus of the opposing team for all 82 games.

Colorado, Boston, Montreal - they all make sense. But so do many others. I'd just like to see him play meaningful hockey again.
Crosby definitely seems like the kind of guy who wants to play second fiddle somewhere else because he doesn't want to work too hard :rolleyes:

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
As a Pen's fan I of course want him to retire as a Penguin. And I fully expect that. Especially after extending the two guys he wanted extended, in Malkin and Letang. If he goes, then resigning those two was a gamble that didn't pay off.

If he absolutely wants out, and I had to pick a team, I say Colorado. Would be cool to see him chase a Cup with his home boy.

But whatever he wants, nothing but love. As he gave us 3 Cups and did everything we hoped he would do.

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Crosby already won 3 Cups. Just ride out the rest of your career with the team that drafted you then move on. No point for another team to waste assets on a guy that has nothing left to prove.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Crosby still wants to win. we need to respect that and any team that wants to take a shot at him can do so. He is built like a tank seems like he doesn't age at all. I think he wants to win one more, while Dubas seems to have other plans for Pittsburgh.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I'm sure he wants to stay but how many years he plans on playing? If he wants to (as he likely will) keep playing after next season, it's going to be an interesting story. I remember when last season when Penguins sold Guentzel at the deadline after Crosby had already carried them the entire season that just how frustrated he looked out there. If they are looking at another 35+ win season and on the outside looking in, he's going to have to decide if he wants to play again in the Playoffs. I'd say there is still a glimmer of hope that some of their players can rebound next season but if they miss the Playoffs again next season, does anyone really think there is a chance that they are better team in 2025-'26, when Malkin, Letang and Karlsson are all closer to retirement age?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Colorado makes a lot of sense here.
Maybe just at the deadline he tells the Pens 'let me try and get another one' and then re-evaluates at the end of the season if he comes back or if he gets a 2-3 year deal on a major contender.

If he leaves the Pens, The Avs or Habs would be my guess. Probably more the Avs because it's a possible cup.

Plays with MacKinnon on the Avs
or
Joins the team he cheered for as a kid.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
If somebody is one those guys who play their whole career with the same team, it's Crosby. At the same time, he is one super competitive motherf***er and wants to win, even when he has won it all. So him staying and retiring as a Pen or wanting to go to a contender both make sense and neither would surprise me.

I don't see him joining Montreal, no offense, but they are not a contender yet, at least I don't think so. It would be Colorado or maybe Edmonton.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
NYR. It’s not so far away that he has to uproot his life. Can play there on a 2 year deal or whatever and finish out his career and ride off into the sunset.
Get ceremonially traded back to Pitt before he retires.

I’m sure Pitt fans wouldn’t like it, but rangers are close. 2 trips to the ECF in last 3 years. Overall young team with some talent coming up in house.
Crosby s leadership and work ethic would be good for them.
Crosby
Tro
Zibby
Is solid down the middle.

Gives Sid 2 more kicks at the can to build on his legacy

Not sure what a trade would look like. It can’t be something that takes away from NYR current roster too much, or it would defeat the purpose of adding him.
Prospects and picks mostly imo….. but anyone’s guess.

Already a legend, but bringing the cup back to NY since Mess did it in 94, would put the cherry on top of an already stellar career

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I think whatever GM moves Crosby will be removed the next day. 94 points last year and you want to /move/ him? Hell no, the man retires a Pen. Front Office needs to load up the roster and go for a run. He's 36, no reason not to burn it all down and go for it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Colorado seems like it would make sense on a personal level.

TB would base an offer around Cirelli. Well, I hope we would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad