Devils chances at playoffs - The Final Push - Points and Standings Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mory Schneideur*

Exactly why this team isn't a playoff team. A playoff team doesn't need to be worrying about the ifs and maybes. They are a bubble team, but more leaning towards missing the playoffs. I still believe they can make it, but they'll need help from around the league, and a lot of it.

I meant that they are a (mostly) well built team, and they have potential to be a great team. I think the real difference is just shedding the dead weight (Salvador for ex) and getting a 1st line guy. If those things are done, this team, with Jagr and Marty and all, has potential to do what the 2012 team did, again.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I'm thinking we miss by 3-4 points...just too much to overcome and wee blown way too many points this year between blown leads (Edmonton, Florida come to mind), loses to crap teams (Same teams) and not winning a single shootout all year. Just going 3-5 in the shootout could possibly have been enough.

In the beginning of the year, I thought this team was a potential bubble team. I thought that if the Solid goaltending tandem could make up for the poor D and they could find some chemistry up front, we might squeak in. The goaltending and D have had good moment but also some shaky ones, no one goalie established himself as the clear cut #1, Jagr has been above expectations but other underwhelmed. Special teams have been above expectations, yet, here we are, still on the bubble.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
funny how it was our savior in 2012, and our demise this season. what a difference not having two of the best wingers in the world makes when it comes to scoring on goalies one-on-one

i also noticed lightning and kings (virtually identical records) have only 2 extra ROW wins and sit nicely in a playoff spot

tampa allows the same amount of goals as devils but scores more….
kings score the same as us but allow much less…

must be nice

Mory Schneideur*

rangers, bruins, blues, ducks, kings to name a few

Blues I can agree with, but Kings and Ducks? Bruins? Those guys have a awesome starter and a questionable backup. Rangers might have ale thing legit with Talbot but too early to tell. We have two proven guys.

goawaygary*

Blues I can agree with, but Kings and Ducks? Bruins? Those guys have a awesome starter and a questionable backup. Rangers might have ale thing legit with Talbot but too early to tell. We have two proven guys.

Brodeur is ranked the worst goaltender in the NHL over his past 75 starts. He is garbage

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

Kings: Martin Jones is a stud. Similar to Talbot, he stepped up when Quick wasn't playing too well earlier in the season. I know it's a small sample size, but we're specifically talking about performance this season so it applies. And I know people will talk about defensive systems but Scrivens and Bernier also turned out pretty well in less than stellar systems so I'll give Jones leeway.

Rangers: Similar situation.

Ducks: The Ducks aren't known as a defensive minded team but have 2 good goalies in Hiller and Anderson. Anderson is actually playing better than hiller right now with a .920+ save percentage.

Bruins: May be a stretch, they are a team where backups don't see much work at all and haven't really seen Johnson play.

Regardless it doesn't help when Marty barely has a .900 save percentage and Schneider is .15 points above that.

YouMyBoyBlue

Jul 19, 2013
Still in it...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    726.8 KB · Views: 33

hockeyr5

Mar 8, 2009
I'd like to point out that we are 13th in the league in ROWs. We aren't as bad as it seems.

Our special teams is especially good though, 5 on 5 is lacking which may kind of counteract the high ROWs. I didn't realize we were that bad 5 on 5, statistically.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
20 points left on the table.

vs. Washington on 4/4 is an absolute must win.

If we win that game, then we can afford to drop 3 points in the other 9 games. Of those nine games, only one of them is against a team currently higher in the standings than we are.

Tough, but not impossible.

-We need Gelinas in the lineup every game, even if he doesn't get a regular ES shift this team can't score PP goals without him and our ES play isn't good enough to get us in by itself.
-We need BOTH goaltenders to play consistently excellent and not give up any softies.
-We need one of Ryder/Brunner/Ruutu/Zubrus to step up and start scoring, our three man offense won't make it to the playoffs.
-We probably need to win at least one shootout along the way.
-We need to cover the front of the net I mean god damn that guy is standing right there are you ****ing blind cover him

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007

If we win that game, then we can afford to drop 3 points in the other 9 games. Of those nine games, only one of them is against a team currently higher in the standings than we are.

-We need Gelinas in the lineup every game, even if he doesn't get a regular ES shift this team can't score PP goals without him and our ES play isn't good enough to get us in by itself.
-We need BOTH goaltenders to play consistently excellent and not give up any softies.
-We need one of Ryder/Brunner/Ruutu/Zubrus to step up and start scoring, our three man offense won't make it to the playoffs.
-We need to cover the front of the net I mean god damn that guy is standing right there are you ****ing blind cover him

Devils are 5 points back behind the last wildcard. They need to go 8-2 if either of those teams play at least .500 hockey. 7-3 if they dont....maybe 6-4 if the other teams really really suck.

Either way, good luck at even 6-4 considering you're .500 on the season (and by .500 I mean more like .420 since 13 are ot losses). Save yourself the heartache now.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

better yet, smash him to the ice. first thing one learns about defence is hopefully think about clearing the crease.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Devils are 5 points back behind the last wildcard. They need to go 8-2 if either of those teams play at least .500 hockey. 7-3 if they dont....maybe 6-4 if the other teams really really suck.

Either way, good luck at even 6-4 considering you're .500 on the season (and by .500 I mean more like .420 since 13 are ot losses). Save yourself the heartache now.

Did you miss the part where I said it would be tough?

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Good luck not doing anything in the playoffs yet again. And this year you probably won't get the Capitals, who just lay down to you like a bunch of *****es. Good luck getting by Pittsburgh. Save yourself the heartache now!

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Who then?

There's at least 5-10 teams, at minimum, who have had better goaltending than us this year. I don't feel like researching all the numbers but our goaltending is probably middle of the pack, thanks in part to Marty's god awful play in October and December and Schneider's recent rough patch. If it wasn't for Schneider's ridiculously good play back in December and January we'd be even lower in the rankings.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Laughed at Cory&Marty being best goaltending duo in the league, our goaltending didn't deliver this season Marty was mostly inconsistent (IMO he's done) and Cory can't be blamed for lack of support but his performance after olympic break was way below his standards.

Teams with better goaltending:
- NYR - Henrik is one of the best, Talbot has .937 SV%.
- SJS - Niemi was on Schneider level this season and Stalock has been really impressive.
- LAK - Quick, Jones and Scrivens possibly made the playoffs for LA, given their offensive struggles.
- BOS - Rask & Johnson played well, of course they've played behind probably the best defence in NHL but still their numbers are impressive and Rask is one of the best in the business
- COL - Even though Giguere slowed down a little, their goaltending was better than ours this season
- MIN - Kuemper and Harding both with .920SV%
- STL - It's Miller time.
- ANA - Hiller & Andersen, both are very good.
- MTL - Price & Budaj. First is top5 goalie in NHL, second is backup that right now is better than Marty (imo at least).'

This list is probably longer but if you don't take into account achievements of Marty but his current form, you'll notice that having him in your roster isn't a blessing.

leftwing

May 26, 2007
funny how it was our savior in 2012, and our demise this season. what a difference not having two of the best wingers in the world makes when it comes to scoring on goalies one-on-one

I didn't realize how bad it was until seeing that stat. We are 1/25 on shootout attempts. That's 4%. Next worse is 16%, four times better than us. The rest are solidly 20% and up. 53% for the leader (edmonton).

To put it in perspective, our being so bad is equally probable to having another team shoot 100%. It just shouldn't happen.

Separately, I don't understand all this discussion on 'best goalie tandem'. Since when does that matter in the W/L column? Rather than having two guys playing at equally good levels give me one rockstar and one backup any day. With most good starters taking 75% of the games at least I can bank those then work the backup in as needed. IMO 'best goalie tandem' is exactly the way not to go. Just another way of saying your starter will be sub-par.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Realistically the Devils need to win out and everyone needs to tank. Lots of early golf this year in New Jersey.

Not true. If the Devils win out they will get 95 PTS. THis year it look like 92 PTS makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad