Devils chances at playoffs - The Final Push - Points and Standings Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
5 points out of the last 2 wildcards with 2 other teams in between, sounds tough but as the old cliche goes "THATS WHY THEY PLAY THE GAMES" win and in on the final day of the season 1988 style at home vs boston (that would be amazing)

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
If they can win out through the Sabres, I think that Caps game is going to be huge--one to definitely make a road-trip for.

I would love to see another meaningful game again. I hope the team can win some games so the caps game will mean something in the play off race. But... this team has trouble winning three in a row. Maybe this three day break can make the team come together and hit it hard for the rest of the season. Who knows.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
8-1-1 or 7-0-3. Anything less won't do it, and even that is going to need help.

9-1 or 8-0-2 should do it without as much help. I don't see the final spot being over 93.

That is the math of it...them actually doing it is another matter.

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
8-1-1 or 7-0-3. Anything less won't do it, and even that is going to need help.

9-1 or 8-0-2 should do it without as much help. I don't see the final spot being over 93.

That is the math of it...them actually doing it is another matter.

just wondering how anyone really knows how many points it will take to make the play offs ? I guess based off the last few years 8th seeded point totals ? so many things can happen over the next few weeks , how do we know that 89 points wont get you in ? a few years back the flyers and habs got in with 88 points each I think and they both went to the east finals.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
just wondering how anyone really knows how many points it will take to make the play offs ? I guess based off the last few years 8th seeded point totals ? so many things can happen over the next few weeks , how do we know that 89 points wont get you in ? a few years back the flyers and habs got in with 88 points each I think and they both went to the east finals.

Because of where the teams that are in and on the bubble are at, and historically it is usually around 92. For it to be 88 the Leafs free fall has to continue in full force, AND the Caps and Jackets would have to play really bad too (as well as us...just not AS bad).

Odds don't favor it. Odds favor a 92-93 point finish for the final wild card spot.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Because of where the teams that are in and on the bubble are at, and historically it is usually around 92. For it to be 88 the Leafs free fall has to continue in full force, AND the Caps and Jackets would have to play really bad too (as well as us...just not AS bad).

Odds don't favor it. Odds favor a 92-93 point finish for the final wild card spot.

Odds Devil make playoffs (as of today)
95 PTS - 99.9%
94 PTS - 99.1%
93 PTS - ~95%
92 PTS - ~83%
91 PTS - ~62%
90 PTS - ~35%

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Odds Devil make playoffs (as of today)
95 PTS - 99.9%
94 PTS - 99.1%
93 PTS - ~95%
92 PTS - ~83%
91 PTS - ~62%
90 PTS - ~35%

So 92 points is the goal.

Sounds easy enough.... :help:

I can just see the Devils, though...finish with 88 points and just miss the playoffs. A big friggin' tease.

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !

odds are that the leafs will continue to slide and the caps will also do the same, not because of any numbers only because Ive been watching this sport since 1983.

Koivu777

Feb 26, 2012

Yea, that was a fantastic year. Halak was dominating like its no one's business and Hal Gill with the roadblock on the PK was amazing!

I still believe you guys can make the playoffs, just Believe! It Ain't Over 'Till Its Over!!

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
Yea, that was a fantastic year. Halak was dominating like its no one's business and Hal Gill with the roadblock on the PK was amazing!

I still believe you guys can make the playoffs, just Believe! It Ain't Over 'Till Its Over!![/QUOTE]

thats what Im trying to tell some of these "sky is falling debbie downer" fellow devil fans of mine

Mory Schneideur*

As much as we bad mouth this team, it is a playoff team if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot or have extended periods of brain-farts.

If they only won a game or two during that 0-7 start, and/or won a OT/SO game here and there, or won one of the last few putrid games, we would be in a solid playoff spot. The most painful thing about this team is that we are so damn close, yet so far... And every time it looks like we could do it, they shoot themselves in the foot... Twice.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

It is called math. You run simulations (in the millions) and you can get to the most realistic numbers. Sure 88 points is possible, but the odds of that happening is less than 6%. It is actually less than 4% for us to get in if you assume each game is 50/50.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
As much as we bad mouth this team, it is a playoff team if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot or have extended periods of brain-farts.

If they only won a game or two during that 0-7 start, and/or won a OT/SO game here and there, or won one of the last few putrid games, we would be in a solid playoff spot. The most painful thing about this team is that we are so damn close, yet so far... And every time it looks like we could do it, they shoot themselves in the foot... Twice.

Team would be in the playoffs if our goalies didn't have a combine .908 SV%.

Big PP

Jan 19, 2014
Nothing short of a miracle gets us in. We basically need to win 8 out of 10 and that gives us 91, which might be enough.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Nothing short of a miracle gets us in. We basically need to win 8 out of 10 and that gives us 91, which might be enough.

Sad thing it really isn't. Maybe for this current team, but winning 8 out of 10 isn't that great a feat. Especially with the schedule and amount of home games, a true playoff team could win 8 out of 10.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Exactly why this team isn't a playoff team. A playoff team doesn't need to be worrying about the ifs and maybes. They are a bubble team, but more leaning towards missing the playoffs. I still believe they can make it, but they'll need help from around the league, and a lot of it.

Big PP

Jan 19, 2014
Sad thing it really isn't. Maybe for this current team, but winning 8 out of 10 isn't that great a feat. Especially with the schedule and amount of home games, a true playoff team could win 8 out of 10.

Considering our schedule, it shouldnt be that big of an ask to win 8 out of 10. But since its crunch time and only such a streak gets us in, it would be one hell of a clutch performance by this team if they were to make it happen. Im not holding my breath, but it would be amazing if it happened.

I think it comes down to our final game against Boston (we need 2 points) and we win it in a shootout (our first of the season):naughty: What a story that would be.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Considering our schedule, it shouldnt be that big of an ask to win 8 out of 10. But since its crunch time and only such a streak gets us in, it would be one hell of a clutch performance by this team if they were to make it happen. Im not holding my breath, but it would be amazing if it happened.

I think it comes down to our final game against Boston (we need 2 points) and we win it in a shootout (our first of the season):naughty: What a story that would be.

That game is on my birthday. I don't think my heart could take it but what a birthday present for that to be the clincher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad