Devils chances at playoffs - The Final Push - Points and Standings Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mory Schneideur*

Laughed at Cory&Marty being best goaltending duo in the league, our goaltending didn't deliver this season Marty was mostly inconsistent (IMO he's done) and Cory can't be blamed for lack of support but his performance after olympic break was way below his standards.

Teams with better goaltending:
- NYR - Henrik is one of the best, Talbot has .937 SV%.
- SJS - Niemi was on Schneider level this season and Stalock has been really impressive.
- LAK - Quick, Jones and Scrivens possibly made the playoffs for LA, given their offensive struggles.
- BOS - Rask & Johnson played well, of course they've played behind probably the best defence in NHL but still their numbers are impressive and Rask is one of the best in the business
- COL - Even though Giguere slowed down a little, their goaltending was better than ours this season
- MIN - Kuemper and Harding both with .920SV%
- STL - It's Miller time.
- ANA - Hiller & Andersen, both are very good.
- MTL - Price & Budaj. First is top5 goalie in NHL, second is backup that right now is better than Marty (imo at least).'

This list is probably longer but if you don't take into account achievements of Marty but his current form, you'll notice that having him in your roster isn't a blessing.

I doubt we would have been much better off with Kinkaid in his place. I don't blame our woes on the goalies at all, for the most part they've been the one think that doesn't stink about this team.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm not trying to be a wet blanket for the few fans who still believe.
The odds are just too remote and are stacked against us.

I'll keep the door open with a glimmer of hope if they win the next two games.
If not, its 100% O-VA

Even so, I'll still root hard for them to win every game out and have a good time at the games.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
there is a chance that even if we win out we don't make it.

that is pretty much "slim to none"

team has blown too many games to be considered a playoff team anyways.

Mory Schneideur*

We can't them out yet. Just look at the season when Lemaire came back. They are due for a streak, maybe they finally get their crap together. Wasn't LA in a similar situation to us in 2012?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
there is a chance that even if we win out we don't make it.

that is pretty much "slim to none"

team has blown too many games to be considered a playoff team anyways.

There is a 99.9% chance we make the playoffs if we win out.

We have a 95% chance of making the playoffs if we go 9-1-0

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
They haven't won 4 games in a row yet this year and they have won 3 in a row a grand total of one time.

its over, folks.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Ok mathematically but they really aren't going to do that. And lets see how they do against Boston at the end of the season.

Boston will be playing for nothing that last game. I agree that it is very unlikely we make the playoffs.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
I'm resigned to the fact we're not going to make the playoffs. It's still possible and I'll support and hope we do, but there's been nothing this team has shown that makes me believe we can go 9-1 on the final stretch. One 3 game winning streak all season. Nothing beyond that. So to say we are likely to go any combination of 9-1 is exceptionally unlikely. Granted, our schedule is as favorable as one could ask for so there's that. As for the Phoenix game, Smith was injured last night so it's likely we'll be playing against their backup. That game is a coin toss in my opinion. Still, if we make it then I'll do the happy dance but I am not expecting that to happen.

Loyal Lou

Oct 25, 2013
Rutherford
Boston will be playing for nothing that last game. I agree that it is very unlikely we make the playoffs.

Ok even still are they going to beat Washington who has something to play for? I doubt it especially if they beat Buffalo and Florida before that. And a half full Boston could still destroy the Devils.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Incredibly unlikely they make it. They had their chance to make up
Significant ground when they played Florida but decided to blow a two goal lead against one of the most pitiful teams in the league. That's all you need to know right there. Frankly if they somehow made it they would probably be the most undeserving team to be in the postseason over the last decade.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Ok even still are they going to beat Washington who has something to play for? I doubt it especially if they beat Buffalo and Florida before that. And a half full Boston could still destroy the Devils.

That is just ignorant. Any team could lose in a single game.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It'd be nice if they kept themselves alive long enough for the next few home games to matter at least.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I guess the question now is:

what are the chances a team who has never won 4 games in a row goes 9-1...or 10-0

:laugh:

We're all rooting for them aj. Just looking pretty dark and gloomy on Mulberry. Beating the free-falling Leafs was fun. But we've got a long way to go.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We definitely still have a chance.

Have to be excellent down the stretch, but luckily the schedule is more then favorable.

Am I confident? No. But to say no chance? That is incorrect.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto plays St Louis tonight. So assuming a loss by the leafs we will be 5 pts back with 2 games at hand.

Mory Schneideur*

what are the chances a team who has never won 4 games in a row goes 9-1...or 10-0

We're all rooting for them aj. Just looking pretty dark and gloomy on Mulberry. Beating the free-falling Leafs was fun. But we've got a long way to go.

What are the chances that the team in 2010-11, which was more likely to go on a 10 game losing streak, would go on a 30 game record-breaking tear under Lemaire :). You never know, I prefer to stay positive.

I remember people counting the 2012 team out & look what they did.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
NJ still has a chance. I mean it's not a great chance but all it will take to make things look a lot better is to win the next couple of games combined with Columbus and the Capitals slowing down a bit.

Toronto is the key here. A week or so ago, the first wildcard they held seemed out of a reach but that's not the case anymore. They no longer have the goaltending to prop up their record the way they have all season long. Detroit has been playing well lately but they may be due to hit a tough stretch as well. So even with 3 teams to jump over, there are two wildcard spots up for grabs now. 3rd place in the division is definitely lost though. NYR and Philly are going to secure the 2nd and 3rd seeds.

Things tend to balance out over the course of a season and if any team is due to put some wins together, it's the Devils. The ROW's are a huge plus for them if they can find a way to close the gap in points.

I'm not counting on them making it, but I also wouldn't put money on them definitely missing. It really all depends if they can win the next two or three. I think that will get them right back within striking distance of those last two spots.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
From an outsiders POV, I actually think you guys still have a chance. Obviously you gotta string together some W's but your schedule is pretty easy for the most part plus there's a decent amount of home games.

I'd root for a CBJ regulation win tonight. That would put the Leafs, Wings, and Jackets all at 80 points (assuming a TOR loss) with you guys having two games in hand on Toronto. Washington also plays so you'll have a game in hand on them as well. You guys have the ROW tiebreak on everyone and still have a game against the Caps. I'd just root for the CBJ win because if not, Detroit starts to pull away. Much better chance if it's 5 teams battling for 2 spots than 4 battling for 1.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007

You are the one who opened up my eyes to the Devils not being a play off team. Before that I still had faith. Although I admit hockey is a lot more fun to watch when the team is still mathematically in it. They also don't have to worry about tanking for a draft pick so that makes games worthwhile.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Detroit plays a big role for us because if they beat Columbus and Toronto, especially in regulation, they will pull away from the pack, but this will also help open up the door a little more for that last spot. If they lose, they stay closer to the pack leaving two spots up for grabs. I guess it's a win win no matter how you look at it.

Just have to hope for no 3 point games. They're killer.

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
NJ still has a chance. I mean it's not a great chance but all it will take to make things look a lot better is to win the next couple of games combined with Columbus and the Capitals slowing down a bit.

Toronto is the key here. A week or so ago, the first wildcard they held seemed out of a reach but that's not the case anymore. They no longer have the goaltending to prop up their record the way they have all season long. Detroit has been playing well lately but they may be due to hit a tough stretch as well. So even with 3 teams to jump over, there are two wildcard spots up for grabs now. 3rd place in the division is definitely lost though. NYR and Philly are going to secure the 2nd and 3rd seeds.

Things tend to balance out over the course of a season and if any team is due to put some wins together, it's the Devils. The ROW's are a huge plus for them if they can find a way to close the gap in points.

and a lot more can change in the next 10 games and 3 weeks and thats all Ive been trying to say here for the past month, lets just try to win as many as we can and let the chips fall where they may.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad