GDT: Preseason Game 7: Red Wings vs sens 10/4/24 7pm et

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Lalonde needs to go independent of preseason. He was very bad all last year too. I don’t think he’s capable of being ahead coach

Reactions: 14ari13

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
So when is it okay to start questioning lalonde. This has been a reoccurring problem for awhile now under his coaching. The team clearly has issues coming prepared and being focused under him. A ton of blown leads.
I think I'm working with a short 'mental' leash this season. Seeing some of the same defensive issues this preseason.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Same old same old with the Lalonde criticism. Team improved six points in his first season, 11 points in his second. Special teams, which even to a simpleton should be an obvious indicator of coaching staff capability, were on balance good last year. Won many must-win games down the stretch, outplayed Washington by a wide margin in the biggest one but lost. Overall they did not underperform relative to talent level.

Team lacked good defensive structure? Sure. They also lacked the necessary defensive interest/capability from too many players. They still don't have enough of them and will probably struggle again in their own end., but you can't assess that until games mean something. It's mind-boggling how any decently informed fan can get upset with preseason. Of course Lalonde will someday be replaced, maybe even this season if they fall into a deep hole. Doesn't matter who the replacement is, there will be a peanut galllery insisting he's an idiot.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Seems like Kasper lifted that puck enough.

More than likely the coaches are addressing the issues even before we see it as fans. It's really hard to beat a NHL goalie low on the ice. Glad to see the adjustment after watching 2 games where he literally couldn't get the puck off the ice.

That shot was aimed higher than it looks at full speed, because it deflected off the bottom of the blocker. You can see it 37 seconds into this video. Blocker side low is good shot placement, but then again #42 decided to float around and give Kasper lots of time and space. He's gotta be able to do the same with a guy on his back.

Anyways, it was a nice goal:

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
So we’re firing the coach in preseason?

Some of you guys are in rare form.
I think we are just pointing out issues from last year that so far in preseason still seem to be present. I don’t get how you guys looked at our underlying metrics last year and how they were almost as bad as dumpster fire teams and not scratch your head at that.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think we are just pointing out issues from last year that so far in preseason still seem to be present. I don’t get how you guys looked at our underlying metrics last year and how they were almost as bad as dumpster fire teams and not scratch your head at that.
I’m not sure which coach would eliminate issues with this roster though?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Maybe not “eliminate” but I promise you a guy like Gallant would make our team a hell of a lot more fun to watch.
Wings were probably one of the most fun non-contenders last season. Bad defense+good offense+most comebacks in the league+most exciting playoff push. If anything the goal for the team (and for the coaching staff) is to make the team much more boring.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Same old same old with the Lalonde criticism. Team improved six points in his first season, 11 points in his second. Special teams, which even to a simpleton should be an obvious indicator of coaching staff capability, were on balance good last year. Won many must-win games down the stretch, outplayed Washington by a wide margin in the biggest one but lost. Overall they did not underperform relative to talent level.

Team lacked good defensive structure? Sure. They also lacked the necessary defensive interest/capability from too many players. They still don't have enough of them and will probably struggle again in their own end., but you can't assess that until games mean something. It's mind-boggling how any decently informed fan can get upset with preseason. Of course Lalonde will someday be replaced, maybe even this season if they fall into a deep hole. Doesn't matter who the replacement is, there will be a peanut galllery insisting he's an idiot.
Did the roster improve or Lalonde made it better?

Kasper was so close to a natural hat trick. He is getting chances.
I didn't watch the game only the highlights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad