Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I expect the top 4 to be:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard

Then
Xhekaj - Struble
Barron

We'll see if they keep Mailloux in Montreal or send him to Laval. I think he should be in Laval.

Imo, this is the last year for Mailloux & Barron. They either improve and show they can help this team or they're getting moved. If they can't step up, I wouldn't be surprised if Montreal re-signs Savard rather than trade him.

Reinbacher will help this team as soon as he steps into the lineup. Just like Guhle did.

I was a huge believer in Guhle & I'm huge believer in Reinbacher. Both need to stay healthy, though.
I really don’t like Ghule on the right side. It’s going to be interesting to see what they do with Matheson. That’s another avenue we could explore.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I expect the top 4 to be:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard

Then
Xhekaj - Struble
Barron

We'll see if they keep Mailloux in Montreal or send him to Laval. I think he should be in Laval.

Imo, this is the last year for Mailloux & Barron. They either improve and show they can help this team or they're getting moved. If they can't step up, I wouldn't be surprised if Montreal re-signs Savard rather than trade him.

Reinbacher will help this team as soon as he steps into the lineup. Just like Guhle did.

I was a huge believer in Guhle & I'm huge believer in Reinbacher. Both need to stay healthy, though.
Definitely not the last year of Logan and I’m not really sure how one comes to that thought process. I would even say Barron as well but they have a much better idea on where he is heading as a professional

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
So Michkov is leading the preseason in points. Let's face it reinbacher was a lousy pick.
We could have had Michkov, cutter gauthier or askorov. What exactly has anybody seen to believe he's gonna be good. It's been hughes' biggest mistake, what did he see?
You know, this narrative is as bad as Flat Earth conspiracy arguments. No matter what people will tell you about his solid play in the zone, and much needed stability on RD, you will come back to "yeah but Michkov" cliche. Kid is 19 ffs and I would already take him over effing Mailloux who can't play in his zone still.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wasn’t my choice either, I was hoping for Leonard or Michkov but then again, I am not privy to ALL the information pro scouts have on these players!

I’m just jaffy from HF which isn’t saying much lol
I like my D offensive players. Gives better powerplay more secondary scoring in general. Why I leaned towards Leonard/Michkov. Guys like Pesce are good players but at 5 I am looking for more. Look at Carolina last year in playoffs had trouble scoring.

My first pairing I like that physical mobile offensive right shot D. Somebody like Yakemchuk Sens drafted. Big mobile good hands, shot, plays with an edge. Sees ice well, makes quick accurate passes. Gives you toughness, 20 goals, size. On left side I like that smooth playmaking D. Somebody like a Markov or JC Tremblay. Hockey smarts, quarterback powerplay. They balance each other well.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I like my D offensive players. Gives better powerplay more secondary scoring in general. Why I leaned towards Leonard/Michkov. Guys like Pesce are good players but at 5 I am looking for more. Look at Carolina last year in playoffs had trouble scoring.

My first pairing I like that physical mobile offensive right shot D. Somebody like Yakemchuk Sens drafted. Big mobile good hands, shot, plays with an edge. Sees ice well, makes quick accurate passes. Gives you toughness, 20 goals, size. On left side I like that smooth playmaking D. Somebody like a Markov or JC Tremblay. Hockey smarts, quarterback powerplay. They balance each other well.

The first job of a defenseman is to defend against the rushes and consistently win defensive assignment. Reinbacher is well above teenager defenseman in those department.

An offensive D is worth nothing, a big zero, if he can't defend a rush or break a cycle.

Its what is holding Barron and Mailloux from blossoming into NHL regular.

Reinbacher is already competent here.

I don't really understand your comparison with Pesce as he is only and solely a defensive player with no offensive acuity.

But, since Pesce already had bigger demand (so a bigger contract) than a 35-40 goal small scorer like Marchessault, what would be his worth if he had an important offensive element(like Reinbacher) to his game on top of his defensive acuity?

That is what we are looking at and aiming for Reinbacher.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
He played a bunch of games last year, both in the Swiss League and in Laval.
Lol ok , getting picky about saying he missed games now I see. I’ll bow out before the law comes down on me for suggesting he’s been injured for large stretches of time two years in a row.

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Lol ok , getting picky about saying he missed games now I see. I’ll bow out before the law comes down on me for suggesting he’s been injured for large stretches of time two years in a row.

Because he wasn't injured for long stretches of time. The only game he missed in Laval was the final one and the team was already eliminated. He played in Switzerland last year.

You just don't care because you want to live in your delusional outrage that he's always injured & is already a bust.

It's pretty obvious you don't know this player at all, since you think he should be comparable to Subban/Hutson when that's not his game at all.

Thomas Sowell

Sep 23, 2024
The first job of a defenseman is to defend against the rushes and consistently win defensive assignment. Reinbacher is well above teenager defenseman in those department.

An offensive D is worth nothing, a big zero, if he can't defend a rush or break a cycle.

Its what is holding Barron and Mailloux from blossoming into NHL regular.

Reinbacher is already competent here.

I don't really understand your comparison with Pesce as he is only and solely a defensive player with no offensive acuity.

But, since Pesce already had bigger demand (so a bigger contract) than a 35-40 goal small scorer like Marchessault, what would be his worth if he had an important offensive element(like Reinbacher) to his game on top of his defensive acuity?

That is what we are looking at and aiming for Reinbacher.
I agree completely. A defenseman should first and foremost be able to defend. That's what Habs brass and all those other teams dawning him and I wholeheartedly believe he has the ability to grow his offense and become something like a 50 pt dman aswell but I want a rock solid penalty killer and a guy who just gets the puck out of the zone and on to the stock of a forward as quickly and effectively as possible and that is reinbachers calling card.

We are massively under estimating and under appreciating what reinbachers is likely to become and how important a piece to our team he will be if we want to be contenders

lou4gehrig

Aug 2, 2005
I can't find a central scouting list with him lower than 8, and he goes down from there. I mean whatever, its done. I just don't recall anyone here saying he was a target at 5 considering who was available. I am sure there were, his name just came out of left field on draft day,
So typing "2023 NHL Mock Draft" into Google yields:
1st result - NHL.com mock - Kimelman Michkov 5th (Reinbacher 6th), Morreale Reinbacher 5th.
2nd result - www.mynhldraft.com - Michkov 5th, Reinbacher 6th
3rd result - bleacherreport - Michkov 4th, Will Smith 5th, Reinbacher 6th
Diebytheblade.com - Leonard 5th, Reinbacher 7th, Michkov 8th
sportsnet.ca - Leonard 5th, Reinbacher 6th, Michkov 8th
thescore.com - Reinbacher 5th, Michkov 7th

Feel free to find more.

Seems like a lot of "finding player drafted 1-100 places after our pick, who blew up and overperformed expectations by a lot and criticizing our management for not predicting the future perfectly to identify that overperformance". Yeah we know hindsight is 20/20. You didn't know Michkov could end up the 2nd best player in the draft. If it was so obvious he would have been drafted 2nd overall and we wouldn't we talking about him at all.

This clearly shows most Mock drafts had Reinbacher, Leonard and Michkov around together in the next grouping after the top 4.

Reactions: rahad

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
So typing "2023 NHL Mock Draft" into Google yields:
1st result - NHL.com mock - Kimelman Michkov 5th (Reinbacher 6th), Morreale Reinbacher 5th.
2nd result - www.mynhldraft.com - Michkov 5th, Reinbacher 6th
3rd result - bleacherreport - Michkov 4th, Will Smith 5th, Reinbacher 6th
Diebytheblade.com - Leonard 5th, Reinbacher 7th, Michkov 8th
sportsnet.ca - Leonard 5th, Reinbacher 6th, Michkov 8th
thescore.com - Reinbacher 5th, Michkov 7th

Feel free to find more.

Seems like a lot of "finding player drafted 1-100 places after our pick, who blew up and overperformed expectations by a lot and criticizing our management for not predicting the future perfectly to identify that overperformance". Yeah we know hindsight is 20/20. You didn't know Michkov could end up the 2nd best player in the draft. If it was so obvious he would have been drafted 2nd overall and we wouldn't we talking about him at all.

This clearly shows most Mock drafts had Reinbacher, Leonard and Michkov around together in the next grouping after the top 4.
I'm not searching for mock drafts, I was looking for prospect rankings, and yes most fans knew how good Michkov was, people were not sure of his availability. Who cares, team Reinbacher are so certain he's the next Serge Savard that I guess we are set. I'm done with him for now, I keep forgetting we are not allowed to question the great Reinbacher on this forum.

Reactions: mdk

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'm not searching for mock drafts, I was looking for prospect rankings, and yes most fans knew how good Michkov was, people were not sure of his availability. Who cares, team Reinbacher are so certain he's the next Serge Savard that I guess we are set. I'm done with him for now, I keep forgetting we are not allowed to question the great Reinbacher on this forum.
Question whatever you want... Just don't complain when your poor takes get called out.

It's silly to act with certainty that RBs future NHL level is a foregone conclusion. Ditto the preseason scoring machine. It's one thing to point out a preference, it's another to post incessantly about it. We get it, you wish we drafted michkov. Move on ffs

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Question whatever you want... Just don't complain when your poor takes get called out.

It's silly to act with certainty that RBs future NHL level is a foregone conclusion. Ditto the preseason scoring machine. It's one thing to point out a preference, it's another to post incessantly about it. We get it, you wish we drafted michkov. Move on ffs

Funny how whatever you disagree with is an immediate 'poor take' , and you have never been wrong on a Montreal draft pick who was clearly a bust after the fact. Are you still defending David Fischer and Kotkaniemi picks too? At what point will you label DR the wrong pick? If he's a stay at home, 20pt shutdown Dman, was he still the right pick?

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Funny how whatever you disagree with is an immediate 'poor take' , and you have never been wrong on a Montreal draft pick who was clearly a bust after the fact. Are you still defending David Fischer and Kotkaniemi picks too? At what point will you label DR the wrong pick? If he's a stay at home, 20pt shutdown Dman, was he still the right pick?

That's a poor take, sir.

RH's don't just grow on trees you know.

When an RH is available, you take him, no questions asked.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Dear live journal,
Today I am madz because the sheeples refuse to write off a 19 years old prospect who has yet to play his first game in the NHL.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Nope. I disagree with plenty of posts that are sound and a matter of preference.

A bad take is a bad take because it's poorly grounded. That has nothing to do with preferences.

I've been wrong about plenty of prospects insofar as my confidence in their likelihood of reaching their ceiling. But when talking prospects, it's pretty baseless to assert with certainty that a 19 year old will or won't become something. That kind of take is about as useful as claiming with certainty that a coin flip will land head or tails. Hence, poorly grounded.

Fischer? Was decent pick, didn't work out. I appreciated the rationale and still do. Of the 10 players picked after him in the first round, only 4 went on to success at the NHL level.

Kotkaniemi... Also a decent pick. I maintain, like with Galch, that terrible development contributed to his stunted progression. That others picked below him have had a much better U25 career doesn't really change either assessment. I was wrong about how quickly he'd cement himself as a top 6 NHLer, especially after going to Carolina... But frankly, I still think there's a good chance he gets there in his 25-30 seasons... We'll see.

To your question... Yes, absolutely a player can be the "right pick" even if they don't realize their full potential. Was Yakupov the "wrong pick" because many picked after him ended up having a better career? Hindsight is an addictive drug, I get it, but it's pretty silly as a lens to assess a past decision.

Some decisions are poor at the time they are made, others are the right decision with a bad outcome. If one can't understand the difference between the two, it's likely that their ability to make good assessments is quite limited, and their takes likely quite poor.

Does a person who plays the lottery for 20 years instead of investing (in themselves or in a sound portfolio) making a good decision? Does the quality of their decision making improve if they win one day? By your logic, I suppose so :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad