Devils chances at playoffs - The Final Push - Points and Standings Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
From an outsiders POV, I actually think you guys still have a chance. Obviously you gotta string together some W's but your schedule is pretty easy for the most part plus there's a decent amount of home games.

I'd root for a CBJ regulation win tonight. That would put the Leafs, Wings, and Jackets all at 80 points (assuming a TOR loss) with you guys having two games in hand on Toronto. Washington also plays so you'll have a game in hand on them as well. You guys have the ROW tiebreak on everyone and still have a game against the Caps. I'd just root for the CBJ win because if not, Detroit starts to pull away. Much better chance if it's 5 teams battling for 2 spots than 4 battling for 1.

And that gives the Rangers more of a cushion also.;)

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Bernier comes back today and is a huge upgrade over Reimer. Let's hope he plays very rusty in his return.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
What are the chances that the team in 2010-11, which was more likely to go on a 10 game losing streak, would go on a 30 game record-breaking tear under Lemaire :). You never know, I prefer to stay positive.

I remember people counting the 2012 team out & look what they did.

This team is NOTHING like 2012. Please stop staying that.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
As much as I can't say I am optimistic we'll make the playoffs, after looking at the teams we're chasing, games in hand, and our schedule vs theirs I feel slightly more like it's possible. It's not quite Dumb and Dumber "so you're saying there's a chance" but it's also not something I feel is likely. Toronto really has given the wildcard chasers a gift with their free fall. Now instead of 1 spot, there's possibly two. Columbus seems to be in a funk, Washington has been up and down (plus we play them again), and Detroit has really been playing over their heads since the Olympics and I expect them to come back to earth.

Looking at opponents and their schedule against playoff bound or bubble teams it looks like this:

Columbus' schedule isn't overly friendly with games against the Pens, Flyers, Avalanche, and Hawks as well as Yotes and Stars. Unfortunately, they place Detroit twice so I guess we should root for a split or Columbus winning both.

Detroit does not have a favorable schedule at all. Games against Columbus (obviously), Canadiens twice, Leafs, Bolts, Bruins, and Pens not to mention two games against Buffalo who has been playing hard and may be a spoiler.

Washington faces us, Kings, Bruins, Blues, Hawks, and Bolts. And we have a game in hand on them after tonight.

Toronto faces the Blues, Flyers, Wings, Bruins, Jets, and Bolts and we'll have 2 games in hand on them after tonight.

As for our Devils, the Yotes, Capitals, and Bruins are the only playoff-ish teams we face.

So all in all the landscape is as favorable as we could wish for given our current position. If we had reeled off some wins numbering more than 3 earlier in the season I would even be optimistic but until we do, I'll be guarded. Still, We have the easiest schedule on paper and the odds seem better than they might otherwise be. IMO, if we just take care of our business, we have a real shot. 9-1 MAY not be necessary but I'd prefer we just control our own path as much as we can.

Koivu777

Feb 26, 2012
Tonight:

Go DET!

Go LA!

Go STL!

If all goes well NJ can still be only 5 pts out!

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Are they going to make it?

Not likely.

Is it still fun to live "one game at a time" until they're mathematically eliminated?

Sure is.

So one-game-at-a-time it is, at least for me.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm not holding my breath but this team has done some remarkably unlikely things in the past 10 years.

Having a 4 game win streak and a 5 game sin streak against teams below us in the standings with the majority at home is not unreasonable. Unlikely, but not unreasonable.

One game at a time. We have no idea how far Toronto will fall and how Washington/Detroit/Columbus are going to be playing.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Detroit plays a big role for us because if they beat Columbus and Toronto, especially in regulation, they will pull away from the pack, but this will also help open up the door a little more for that last spot. If they lose, they stay closer to the pack leaving two spots up for grabs. I guess it's a win win no matter how you look at it.

Just have to hope for no 3 point games. They're killer.

This is what I DO NOT want to happen, especially in the BlueJackets/Wings game tonight. :rant:

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Definitely no 3 point games. Cannot have that happen. We gotta take care of our business then hope that Det/Colum/Wash/Tor lose often. Schedule is favorable for us and not them so just do our job, win our games, and hope they all lose every game going forward (In the case of Toronto that doesn't seem so sarcastic).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So as of right now 5 points out with two games in hand in the leafs and one game in hand on the caps with a game against left.

Could be 5 points behind the wings and jackets with equal games played.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Maybe it increased by a percent or two :sarcasm:. Other than Washington getting a point it was a good day for the team to just keep playing game by game.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Just a general question. Who do you want to win tomorrow between Philly and the Rangers? I assume there is some hatred for one, or even both teams. I am leaning toward it not mattering who wins:laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Probably doesn't matter since they seem destined to meet in April anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad