GDT: Last Preseason Game - Habs B squad vs Sens Goons - 7pm EST

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'm really disappointed our starting lineup never played together as a whole the entire preseason. The goal is to hit the ground running as much as possible when the season starts. The last two games should have our NHL team in the lineup, no questions asked.
That's apparently not the goal. I'm prepping my skills at drawing military vehicles. :naughty:

Jul 6, 2016
Well the plans of that happening went out the window when two of our players went down with long term knee injuries and then a guy who missed almost all of last season got a blind side hit.

Gonna have to use the regular season to get ramped up due to the stupidity of the pre-season.

It will change next year, more regular season games, less pre-season games. Means teams will cut camps down more quickly and less plugs will get opportunities to injure NHLers.
The teams should not be allowed to have more than 30 players for the Camps. And 4 pre-season games would be enough. Just add 2 games in the regular season if they still want to make $$$$$. All pre-season games should be half priced at least, too.

💯 %. NHL refs are the worst of ALL professional sports leagues. If it gets any worse people will simply just stop watching the sport.
Next to Pro wrestling.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
This game should prove to be an embarrassment for the league and owners.

Because it already was, just like the entirety of Ottawa and Toronto's performance due to their antics.

Now, it's just a matter of making it blatant so that they cannot deny or prevaricate, forcing some kind of change to the structure and regulation of the NHL preseason.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Montreal should never play the Sens in pre-seaon again. They're the ones who want these games because they're guaranteed sell-outs and they need the money.

f*** their poor asses, and let's playing real teams, like Tampa Bay, Florida, Philadelphia, NYI.

There's also no benefit to playing Toronto.
Yep agreed

Reactions: HuGo Sham

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It's a joke that NHL teams are afraid of playing their best players in preseason games now because there are no name career minor league players, who don't belong on the ice with actual NHL players, out there trying to make a name for themselves by taking runs at another teams best players.

I hope the NHL reads that MSL quote and sees this as a problem and makes some preseason changes like for starters not having rival teams or even teams in the same division playing preseason games against each other.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Montreal should never play the Sens in pre-seaon again. They're the ones who want these games because they're guaranteed sell-outs and they need the money.

f*** their poor asses, and let's playing real teams, like Tampa Bay, Florida, Philadelphia, NYI.

There's also no benefit to playing Toronto.
Also you shouldn't play the same team twice in the pre season. When you play the same team within a week there is a solid chance that some bad blood can boil over. Especially when you have some minor leaguers playing against NHL players.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Some people are talking about DoPS, or bad officiating as the root causes. I disagree. Biggest issue is that there is not consequences disciplinary-wise with these games. How does it matter that an AHL scrub gets an NHL suspension? Does this suspension translate to the AHL? I think not. Why does it matter a guy get a 5 minutes penalty? These games do not count, so what if the team lost the game because of it? But on the other hand the consequences are huge for the NHL players at the other end of the sticks.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
They are looking at changes to the preseason.

Yup
This was the preseason that finally did it

Too big a risk to have these f***ing goons wrecking careers because they don't have one
Lower preseason games will force teams to ice more competitive teams that look like the actual squad and less nobodies looking to take out knees and headshots

it's time these nobodies play AHL preseason games only and less NHL preseason games

Reactions: The Real Timo

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Last regular season there were 652 major penalties in 1312 games (.50 per game). This preseason there has been 71 majors in 96 games (.74 per game) or, approximately, 48.8% more per game.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Hughes to Staios : "Hi Steve, how about we show some sportsmanship and try to use this last preseason game as a real practice and make sure there's no unecessary violence so our best players won't be injured before the season starts? You know fans prefer to see talented players instead of scrubs"

Staios to Hughes : "No way. I'm unleashing all my goons. Your star players better watch out."

Hughes St. Louis : "No sportsmanship tonight. Keep our first line + Dach in the stands. Let Xhekaj and Pezz doing their thing. I'm calling up a few AHL scrubs.".

Reactions: Paddyjack

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I don't have a good feeling about tonight.

I'm good as long as no one in the top 6 or top 4 D is sacrificed.

Edit:

Still

denzel-vodka.gif

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Some people are talking about DoPS, or bad officiating as the root causes. I disagree. Biggest issue is that there is not consequences disciplinary-wise with these games. How does it matter that an AHL scrub gets an NHL suspension? Does this suspension translate to the AHL? I think not. Why does it matter a guy get a 5 minutes penalty? These games do not count, so what if the team lost the game because of it? But on the other hand the consequences are huge for the NHL players at the other end of the sticks.

If they were serious, they'd impose sanctions on the team that affects regular season...

For example...
Fine to the player like the one handed to X translates to an automatic matching fine to the HC & 10x fine to the team

Suspension to player = regular season games & translates to equivalent roster reduction to team for regular season (ie 2 games means the team can dress 1 less player for two regular season games wether or not said player is on opening night roster).

Tweaked as needed, but that kind of direct impact on the team "when it counts" would shift the accountability to the HC/GM/owner and quickly end the AHL scrubs & borderline NHLers from being given free reign to try to "earn" themselves recognition by targeting actual skilled players.

The NFL and professional rugby have shown how easy it is the reign in this type of behaviour without losing the physicality that is a core part of their game. Cheap shots will always exist given the intensity of the respective sports and the reality that humans can always go over the edge... But scrubs gratuitously going after skilled players is a choice the NHL makes rather than a necessary feature

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad