Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Have you seen his Instagram follows?

Yeah it's definitely Blackwood, bunch of questionable follows. I would say I'm surprised but I've never found him the least bit intelligent in any of his interviews so I'm not surprised at all.

I'd throw his ass off the team if he refuses but we have a front office and ownership that doesn't give a shit about having any covid protocols in place for fans so we know they won't do anything here either. Lack of spines all around in this organization.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
Just an FYI, I was looking at the nhl website and laughing at how expensive hoodies have gotten (almost $100 for a lot of the new stuff) and they had a green St Pattys day Hischier hoodie on super clearance for $12.

just a heads up in case anyone was interested.
Lol thanks man what a steal. You can't even find a normal hoodie these days for $12 nvm a nhl nj devils hoodie. I think I got the last one in stock.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So basically, if it’s Mac, he only won’t play in Canada?

Maybe some missed games for a close contact or something but as long as Bernier's healthy it's fine. The restrictions for unvaccinated players are so strict though that it limits the chances of that quite a bit. The biggie to me is if the player breaks restrictions and goes out on the road. I don't know if that results in a suspension or if it's just a fine or what the punishment is

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Maybe some missed games for a close contact or something but as long as Bernier's healthy it's fine. The restrictions for unvaccinated players are so strict though that it limits the chances of that quite a bit. The biggie to me is if the player breaks restrictions and goes out on the road. I don't know if that results in a suspension or if it's just a fine or what the punishment is

Bernier is not good enough to have handle an increased workload if necessary. He is a career below average goalie. He’s a fine backup, but if he has to be your guy…we’ll then you are f***ed.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
we're going to find out who it is relatively quickly due to the protocols

There are significant restrictions in place for any player in an NHL camp who has not received the vaccine and cleared the two weeks after to give adequate time for an immune response to occur. An unvaccinated player must wear a mask any time he is within six feet of another player or coach and is not playing or exercising. He cannot ride in a taxi or share other enclosed spaces like saunas or steam rooms with other players. He cannot be anywhere but the team hotel, practice facility or arena when the club is on the road.

Vaccinated players will be tested for COVID-19 at least once every 72 hours, but unvaccinated players will be tested daily.

I tend not discuss this stuff on board because I don’t like white debates but NHL protocol are just a ton of testing and hot garbage, the masks are so much help considering the “is not playing or exercising” part.

I agree with Lou Lamoriello’s edict for the Islanders organization where no unvaccinated players would attend camp or play in the NHL or AHL for the team this season. I don’t care who it is. Maybe that’s not workable. I’m not the GM so it doesn’t matter and I know some will heartily disagree with this, so you don’t have to yell at me.

I didn’t have shitty COVID related nonsense on pre-season bingo card, I’m pretty bummed by all this.

'We hope to get it rectified': How the Devils are handling their unvaccinated player

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Bernier is not good enough to have handle an increased workload if necessary. He is a career below average goalie. He’s a fine backup, but if he has to be your guy…we’ll then you are f***ed.

I highly doubt it ends up being that much of an increase. I just don't see this causing Blackwood to miss like 10+ games or anything. We can probably still very easily get a 45-55/25-35 split this year.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It’s easy to have the “Lou” stance when it isn’t someone you need to be a core piece of your team.

That said though I can’t imagine a prominent player under Lou bucking his edict which makes it easier to enforce. I can’t imagine something like this happening during our championship year because neither Lou or the players in leadership would tolerate it.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m not sure what to think about all this . I don’t think I’m mad at the individual but more so the whole situation that could arise that would negatively impact the team I love and cheer my ass off for

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I highly doubt it ends up being that much of an increase. I just don't see this causing Blackwood to miss like 10+ games or anything. We can probably still very easily get a 45-55/25-35 split this year.

You don’t think a player going unvaccinated and traveling around the country (even with the protocols) puts them at risk at mis many games (and affect their play when they do play if they catch it)? I know he had it last year but that immunity with new strains has probably worn off.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Do you have this type of invasive thought process to everyone in your life or just Blackwood?

Asking that someone be a man and step up and defend their decision and not hide like a baby? Sorry guess I was just brought up differently. I’m fine with him not taking it he wants to go that route and go into the locker room with players that are trying to win. Reading the team trying to “convince him” or don’t want to shame him? Gtfo he made his bed he should sleep on it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The only reason I’d still be surprised if it’s Blackwood is that this guy was affected as much as anyone by COVID last year. He was on the shelf longer and it took the dude months to regain normal breathing. Hell, it was accepted as an excuse for his play last year. I don’t want to assume it’s him, especially after the lynch mob you guys brought out unnecessarily and prematurely for that PTO guy. But **** Masiak and his source for having this wrong.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
You don’t think a player going unvaccinated and traveling around the country (even with the protocols) puts them at risk at mis many games (and affect their play when they do play if they catch it)? I know he had it last year but that immunity with new strains has probably worn off.

Teams travel privately. The restrictions are so strict on unvaccinated players on the road that they're confined to their rooms outside of games and practices. He'll be surrounded by 100% vaccinated people. It's possible and I'll be f***ing pissed at him if it does happen because he's a massive moron but I don't think there's that high of a chance

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Asking that someone be a man and step up and defend their decision and not hide like a baby? Sorry guess I was just brought up differently. I’m fine with him not taking it he wants to go that route and go into the locker room with players that are trying to win. Reading the team trying to “convince him” or don’t want to shame him? Gtfo he made his bed he should sleep on it.
The problem is absolutely nobody is under any obligation to tell YOU why they didn't do something or "defend" their reasoning behind doing so. It just comes off as very entitled.

Reactions: LeedsMonster

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean would it really make anyone feel better if whoever this guy is was a public moron like Cole Beasley? Is it really gonna help convince the guy to get vaccinated if he starts getting booed by the fans and negative press? If we should have learned one thing over this last year plus, it’s that public negative backlash only causes more heel digging in. Hopefully peer pressure works from within before it gets to the point where all hell breaks loose.

Reactions: Billdo

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The problem is absolutely nobody is under any obligation to tell YOU why they didn't do something or "defend" their reasoning behind doing so. It just comes off as very entitled.

definitely not entitled but again I guess we just think differently. If I was that player I know I would man up and explain myself. But I guess that player thinks differently too

I never said anyone is obligated to do anything. All I’m saying is be a man and stand up for your beliefs if you feel that strongly about them

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Bernier is almost exactly average over his career. Whether he'll continue that at 33, I don't know, but he's been better than an average backup over his career, certainly.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The only reason I’d still be surprised if it’s Blackwood is that this guy was affected as much as anyone by COVID last year. He was on the shelf longer and it took the dude months to regain normal breathing. Hell, it was accepted as an excuse for his play last year. I don’t want to assume it’s him, especially after the lynch mob you guys brought out unnecessarily and prematurely for that PTO guy. But **** Masiak and his source for having this wrong.

I wouldn’t be surprised. If anything, if he’s an anti vaxxer like it seems he is, he will use his prior covid bouts as more reason to not get vaccinated. He will say (I have antibodies and that’s better) but that doesn’t last forever.

Long form Covid side effects are worse and way more common than vaccine side effects.

Reactions: Darkauron

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I mean would it really make anyone feel better if whoever this guy is was a public moron like Cole Beasley? Is it really gonna help convince the guy to get vaccinated if he starts getting booed by the fans and negative press? If we should have learned one thing over this last year plus, it’s that public negative backlash only causes more heel digging in. Hopefully peer pressure works from within before it gets to the point where all hell breaks loose.

Don’t pressure him but don’t try and baby a grown man and try to convince him to get a shot if he doesn’t want it. Just hold him accountable if this blows up in his face and it screws the team.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

imMagnum

Jan 10, 2017
The only reason I’d still be surprised if it’s Blackwood is that this guy was affected as much as anyone by COVID last year. He was on the shelf longer and it took the dude months to regain normal breathing.

That's what would surprise me most if it's Blackwood. He was one of the best goalies in the league until he got Covid. I assume he would want to do anything possible to not be in that position again. I also thought he had an outside shot at Team Canada's 3G this year. That's definitely out the window if he's without the vax.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
What was this public autograph session? Where was it? Who organized it?

I still would be floored if it was Blackwood. I can’t fathom how the public autograph signing with a couple hundred people happens if he’s not vaccinated.

Sports minded unlimited. Not at all surprising considering who runs the place and how dumb that Facebook group that's involved acts.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Yeah it's definitely Blackwood, bunch of questionable follows. I would say I'm surprised but I've never found him the least bit intelligent in any of his interviews so I'm not surprised at all.

I'd throw his ass off the team if he refuses but we have a front office and ownership that doesn't give a shit about having any covid protocols in place for fans so we know they won't do anything here either. Lack of spines all around in this organization.
Yea. Absolute dog shit follows and ownership sucks with this

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
definitely not entitled but again I guess we just think differently. If I was that player I know I would man up and explain myself. But I guess that player thinks differently too

I never said anyone is obligated to do anything. All I’m saying is be a man and stand up for your beliefs if you feel that strongly about them
How do you know the team hasn't asked him to lay low about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad