Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The unvaccinated player is something of a team issue as I see it. I think this might be Nico’s first issue as captain. He can ignore it or discuss it with the other players before approaching the unvaccinated player if they team consensus is to take action. On some level it would seem to be both a playing and social issue. Does this player want to exclude himself from various team activities when involved with team travel and the like? Does this player want to skip games when completely healthy that might be costly if lost? Maybe he does and at that point the players can choose to ignore it or do something like ostracize then player. Hopefully this won’t be an ongoing distraction.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
if the player who currently has not been vaccinated continues to refuse the vaccine into the season, its time to move on from them. id like to give the benefit of the doubt regarding their ability to change positions on this issue, but honestly if youre capable of ignoring everything thats gone on the past 2 years, im not sure there is much convincing to be done.
So your just gonna let go of a top core player for the simple fact he chooses what to do with his body? He isn't breaking any laws nor rules. You people who wanna just sacrifice anything to do with unvaxed is one of the biggest reasons they don't wanna get the jab in the 1st place. Saying its my way or the highway to someone who has to make a choice with their body is just up authoritarianism. People will choose what's right in due time but forcing situations only causes resent & hate. People are talking about unvaccinated people like they are 2nd class citizens. It's quite sickening. No one should be losing their careers for deciding to take the time to make a decision.

Last edited:

WetWholphin

Sep 4, 2021
https://hfboards.mandatory.com
So your just gonna let go of a top core player for the simple fact he chooses what to do with his body? He isn't breaking any laws nor rules. You people who wanna just sacrifice anything to do with unvaxed is one of the biggest reasons they don't wanna get the jab in the 1st place. People are talking about unvaccinated people like they are 2nd class citizens. It's quite sickening.

they dont want to get the vaccine because they know they will be ostracized for not getting the vaccine? that doesnt make much sense… unless youre saying they dont want to get it just to be contrarian.

Reactions: Guttersniped

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
they dont want to get the vaccine because they know they will be ostracized for not getting the vaccine? that doesnt make much sense… unless youre saying they dont want to get it just to be contrarian.
I guess your not aware of how human psychology works. Usually when someone is debating something in their head, if one of the things they are thinking about comes up to them demanding they do the very thing they are unsure of then they of course are gonna shy away. Thats human behavior. No one wants to do something when forced to do so. It will only cause resent and hate. Even if you have good intentions humans don't typically behave well being forced to do something against their will. Now on the other hand if you let it happen naturally & let them take their time to do research then there is a much bigger chance of them making the better choice. Think of it like buying a car. You said your gonna think about it but the salesman comes up to you trying to force/pressure you into putting down a deposit. After saying you need time to think you go home but then the salesman texts you, & calls you nonstop everyday not giving you any space. Let me ask you, does that make you buy the car?

Last edited:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
It's not. He was one of the guys interviewed in Masisak's piece

Does that automatically eliminate him from being one of the guys? Does Masisak know who it is?

Blackwood does have some questionable follows as well, especially that Ian Smith guy and Project Veritas. Wood essentially called the vaccine poison too.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Does that automatically eliminate him from being one of the guys? Does Masisak know who it is?

Blackwood does have some questionable follows as well, especially that Ian Smith guy and Project Veritas. Wood essentially called the vaccine poison too.

The makes it pretty clear about Wood.

“It’s his body. It’s his choice. It’s his right,” Devils forward Miles Wood said. “I don’t look down upon this person for not getting it. He’s still my teammate. I still care about him.”

'We hope to get it rectified': How the Devils are handling their unvaccinated player

Reactions: OmNomNom

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
So your just gonna let go of a top core player for the simple fact he chooses what to do with his body? He isn't breaking any laws nor rules. You people who wanna just sacrifice anything to do with unvaxed is one of the biggest reasons they don't wanna get the jab in the 1st place. Saying its my way or the highway to someone who has to make a choice with their body is just up authoritarianism. People will choose what's right in due time but forcing situations only causes resent & hate. People are talking about unvaccinated people like they are 2nd class citizens. It's quite sickening. No one should be losing their careers for deciding to take the time to make a decision.

I guess your not aware of how human psychology works. Usually when someone is debating something in their head, if one of the things they are thinking about comes up to them demanding they do the very thing they are unsure of then they of course are gonna shy away. Thats human behavior. No one wants to do something when forced to do so. It will only cause resent and hate. Even if you have good intentions humans don't typically behave well being forced to do something against their will. Now on the other hand if you let it happen naturally & let them take their time to do research then there is a much bigger chance of them making the better choice. Think of it like buying a car. You said your gonna think about it but the salesman comes up to you trying to force/pressure you into putting down a deposit. After saying you need time to think you go home but then the salesman texts you, & calls you nonstop everyday not giving you any space. Let me ask you, does that make you buy the car?

I hope your degree was in psychology and not English.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
So assuming it's Blackwood, looking at the schedule, there are 5 games in Canada which consists of more than one game during the trip. I imagine in a perfect world he would have started 3 or 4 of those 5. So I guess we end up losing him for 3-4 extra games.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
As mentioned unvaccinated players probably have greater quarantine requirements if they come in close contact with a positive test. That could mean missed games. Also being unvaccinated means greater risk of actually catching the damn virus which means missed games.

The possibility of that is pretty high on the road since the team will travel to southern states where the Delta variant has run rampant. Florida, South Carolina, Texas, Missouri, Tennessee, Arizona, Nevada. If the Devils and Prudential don't put restrictions in their building, players from all of those teams will have an opportunity to pass the infection as well if they are vaccinated or not, but carrying it. As I understand it, the Prudential is not requiring proof of negative tests or vaccinations. Not to mention fans in every building including their own in other non controlled arenas. That's about half of the league at last count.

Any unvaccinated person is susceptible to infection from any person they come in contact with anywhere in their day to day life. He puts his whole team at risk as well. Vaccinated people can become positive and have no symptoms, slight symptoms, or actually get sick but very rarely need hospitalization. (This is a much lower possibility than unvaccinated people.). However, they do need to get away from others and recover. This guy subjects his team to that more than any vaccinated player does.

The crazy thing to me is that everyone is acting as if the vaccine makes you immune and it does not. It drastically reduces your chances and if you should contract it, as said above, less severe symptoms and a very rare chance of needing hospitalization and almost no chance of dying. This stuff can still end up taking out team members all around the league. If the horse gets out of the barn, look out.

Reactions: Guttersniped

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
So assuming it's Blackwood, looking at the schedule, there are 5 games in Canada which consists of more than one game during the trip. I imagine in a perfect world he would have started 3 or 4 of those 5. So I guess we end up losing him for 3-4 extra games.

He also would be unable to play in LA, NYC (NYR/NYI) and San Jose.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
The possibility of that is pretty high on the road since the team will travel to southern states where the Delta variant has run rampant. Florida, South Carolina, Texas, Missouri, Tennessee, Arizona, Nevada. If the Devils and Prudential don't put restrictions in their building, players from all of those teams will have an opportunity to pass the infection as well if they are vaccinated or not, but carrying it. As I understand it, the Prudential is not requiring proof of negative tests or vaccinations. Not to mention fans in every building including their own in other non controlled arenas. That's about half of the league at last count.

Any unvaccinated person is susceptible to infection from any person they come in contact with anywhere in their day to day life. He puts his whole team at risk as well. Vaccinated people can become positive and have no symptoms, slight symptoms, or actually get sick but very rarely need hospitalization. (This is a much lower possibility than unvaccinated people.). However, they do need to get away from others and recover. This guy subjects his team to that more than any vaccinated player does.

The crazy thing to me is that everyone is acting as if the vaccine makes you immune and it does not. It drastically reduces your chances and if you should contract it, as said above, less severe symptoms and a very rare chance of needing hospitalization and almost no chance of dying. This stuff can still end up taking out team members all around the league. If the horse gets out of the barn, look out.

The southern wave is dropping. We don't see Florida until November 18th, our first southern road game. Way too many unknowns to conclude anything at this point. Will cases continue to drop? Will cases rise in kids as schools continue? Will kids getting vaccinated slow down the wave? Will immunity wane? Will a new variant come from another country?

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
He also would be unable to play in LA, NYC (NYR/NYI) and San Jose.

Jesus - I should be following more closely. NYI is NYC? I thought it's Long Island.

San Jose and LA suck at least. I trust Bernier in those games.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
God this whole thing sucks. Black cloud over an otherwise exciting start to camp.

I've been down on the season simply because of the front office and ownership not doing the correct thing by it's fans. So I'm currently either going to have to fight with the front office on giving me credits back, eating my money or having to go to games in a situation I'd rather not be in.

I'm already ready for the 22-23 season and I thought the 21-22 season we would actually be back to real normality, oops.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Jesus - I should be following more closely. NYI is NYC? I thought it's Long Island.

San Jose and LA suck at least. I trust Bernier in those games.

Ah, you're right.. Elmont is essentially in Queens but technically Nassau County. NYC vaccine mandate doesn't apply.

I also can't really find great info on LA so not sure there either. They have a similar mandate to NYC but there's not much about whether it applies to athletes.

Most of the news about this has been from the NBA announcing players won't be exempt from local vaccine mandates. The NBA news has specifically named San Fran 9Oracle) and NYC (MSG/Barclays). There's no NBA team in San Jose but there are 2 in LA.. and that hasn't been mentioned in the media.

So it may actually only be Canada + NYR.. and then who knows if more pop up during the season.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It’s Blackwood, look at the guys instagram follows. He also probably thinks since he had the virus that the vaccine won’t do anything or effect him anymore. Not gonna lie, it’s pretty discouraging to see but we could be in a shittier situation like Detroit is with Bertuzzi with teams from Canada within their division.

Reactions: Devilsfan118
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad