Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation) - Part III [MOD warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Obligatory f*** comcast, but I wish MSG would link up with YouTube TV so I don't have to find alternatives. I get SNY so I can watch Mets games, but who actually wants to watch that?

YouTube TV just got into a battle with NBC and are losing those channels. I would gladly pay money I'd save from dropping NBC to have MSG added.

This is just stupid already with all these flare ups these providers have with different networks. I have YouTubeTV and hadn't even heard about the NBC thing until now. Ugh.

I would gladly pay a decent amount of money to just be able to stream Devils games locally. I dropped cable years ago and there's zero chance I'm ever going back. Such an antiquated system that only certain providers are able to carry MSG network and there are no alternatives for people with those providers. I'll just keep using a family member's password to stream MSG Go for games.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Ugh, brutal writeup from Dom on the Devils season preview. LMAO

Here we go again …
Another offseason, another preseason filled with rave reviews for a Devils team that did “everything right” and looks primed to take the next step toward relevancy.
This summer, the team specifically targeted players my model likely overrates and what we’re left with is a pie-in-the-sky projection for a team that finished third last in the league with a 66-point pace.
This season, the Devils are expected to earn far more points and be in contention for a playoff spot. I’ve seen this film before …

New Jersey Devils 2021-22 season preview

He hasn't updated the overall list yet, but I guess we're 20th.
I thought that was pretty fair evaluation by Dom. Of course those first sentences are controversial but otherwise I don't see any brutal opinions in the article.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets

Here we go again …
Another offseason, another preseason filled with rave reviews for a Devils team that did “everything right” and looks primed to take the next step toward relevancy.
This summer, the team specifically targeted players my model likely overrates and what we’re left with is a pie-in-the-sky projection for a team that finished third last in the league with a 66-point pace.
This season, the Devils are expected to earn far more points and be in contention for a playoff spot. I’ve seen this film before …

Insulting to see him question his ineffable model because it’s us

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
I thought that was pretty fair evaluation by Dom. Of course those first sentences are controversial but otherwise I don't see there any brutal opinions.

Yea I agree, just finished reading it. Far too many question marks with this team in regards to how our young guys will progress and start hitting their stride + what the new guys bring to the table. After being so bullish on our evaluation a couple years ago I understand his hesitation.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You don't really need to do any analysis - you don't need pretty charts, graphs or convoluted stats... because as Jack and Nico go, so will the Devils...You've built a team and used your major draft capital on 2 centers. That is the crux of the team, that is how this team was built - These are the guys that have to get it done and come through.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Here we go again …

Yeah, we're #20 and Montreal is #19.

Relevant charts from the article:

Screen-Shot-2021-09-20-at-8.14.04-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2021-09-21-at-12.03.50-AM.png

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I thought that was pretty fair evaluation by Dom. Of course those first sentences are controversial but otherwise I don't see any brutal opinions in the article.

Oh, I did too, it was just brutal to read! :laugh:

But yeah, it was fair. And he did point out that his model can underestimate young players that improve, which is what I hope happens.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Yea I agree, just finished reading it. Far too many question marks with this team in regards to how our young guys will progress and start hitting their stride + what the new guys bring to the table. After being so bullish on our evaluation a couple years ago I understand his hesitation.
I whined a bit but I also appreciate he said that the model might underrate us, depending on breakout years for the young players. So it could go either way. Like I said, the Metro is a very boom-or-bust division.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The write-up by Dom was fair. Basically said his model is likely overstating the impact of the 4 new players, but that all the youth on the Devils could make up for it if enough of them make a jump or someone like Hughes has a breakout season.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The only really annoying thing was comparing the 2019 offseason to this one. I just think it's just lazy as the 2019 offseason was one built more off hope and hype than actual substance. PK was coming off a really down year where he suffered a bad injury. Simmonds had been dealing with injuries and had already been showing major signs of being cooked. Gusev was a complete unknown. Jack was a 1st overall pick making an unprecedented jump where people had question marks about how he'd perform as a rookie. 2021 offseason even if guys like Tatar and Dougie are being overvalued they're still undoubtedly top 6 and #1Ds. Bernier has a long history as a solid goalie. Graves is the one real question mark but he's shown the ability to be able be perform at least decently well with high end partners and he'll have that with Dougie.

Also god if only Zacha would just be more assertive he could be so much better. 2nd best in transition efficiency but last in volume

Edit: Ahh just got to the end where he did say this time does feel different from last time

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Boqvist has talent but got really f***ed over by Hynes. We didn't have room for him in 2019-20 but he kept him sitting in the press box when he should have been getting regular minutes in the AHL or Sweden.

I think it would be best if he started in Utica and got regular playing time there. He doesn't bring much to the ice at the NHL level right now but he's still young and has all the talent and pedigree he needs. Use his last year of waiver ineligibility.

But I think he'll end up being trade bait by the deadline. He's getting leapfrogged by all the other prospects in the system and we don't really have a spot for him. He would be the perfect reclamation project for another franchise.

Trade Boqvist + 2nd for Laine at the deadline

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I wouldn’t say thats brutal. A 90pt season would be a huge step in the right direction for this group. Would anyone here be sad about that season?

Depends on the individual improvements. If we see some productive numbers from critical players and have a 90 point season -- Oh well

If we have a 90 point season and one or both of our top 2 centers can't break .6 ppg range. I will lose most hope for the future...

Right now we only have 1 young forward who has managed .7 ppg in a season and that is Pavel Zacha. That is a problem.

Reactions: Buck Dancer

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Depends on the individual improvements. If we see some productive numbers from critical players and have a 90 point season -- Oh well

If we have a 90 point season and one or both of our top 2 centers can't break .6 ppg range. I will lose most hope for the future...

Right now we only have 1 young forward who has managed .7 ppg in a season and that is Pavel Zacha. That is a problem.
We know you hate Jack and Nico, I dunno why you just don't let it go.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Here we go again …

Shorter version: My model sucks lol

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Let me rephrase my question.

Would anyone besides someone who is manipulated by what GM put this team together would be sad about a 90 pt season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad