Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation) - Part III [MOD warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
The ideal situation is for Zacha to play wing and utilize his shot like he did last year and like we’ve been asking of him for what now, give or take 4 years?

He has one of the best shots on the team and if he can be the trigger man on a line with Hischier and Bratt, that would give us two solid options with him and Sharangovich.

swiiscompos

Dec 9, 2018
London, UK
Yeah it's not ideal and I'm presenting a best case scenario (which doubles as a reasonable projection IMO) but I don't think it's worth going crazy over Blackwood's choice at this moment. If Blackwood gets vaccinated two weeks before that road trip then the impact of his decision should (hopefully) be truly negligible, so we'll see what he decides. The team is encouraging him to get vaccinated despite hearing his medical excuse, so it's possible he'll decide to do it. It's unclear if this is a strongly held position by him or just something he thought was the right thing to do and now he's not willing to sit through the social media / peer pressure to keep doing it.

If the Devils play a Canadian team in the playoffs and Blackwood is still holding out then his decision's impact will definitely be felt.
Let's not underestimate the pressure from family / friends. I know several people who didn't get vaccinated because their wife or mom (I'm sure it happens as much with husband and dads, just not in my experience) didn't want them to get it. I know it will make some people smile, but now that it has become kind of a political issue, it can be a real struggle in some families.

As far as it doesn't affect the team too much I personally don't care. If the rest of the team feels unsafe next to him (very unlikely since he got Covid recently), then they will let him know. But there is little point in speculating any more than that. The issue would be more about his game and whether he can stay focused if the medias / fans make it a big deal. Today we have our first pre-season game and Blackwood isn't even playing, so let's focus on the players who are actually playing tonight, especially our two leading disgraces, and our to main prospective disgraces.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
anyone have the pic of zacha at the beach? you know, the one w the beer belly

That's a classic lol, very elusive though. I'm pretty sure I had that as my picture for a while but I can never find the picture.

Zacha's always been a strong skater, if he has more endurance this year great. I still think putting him at center is silly bit we'll see i guess. I found it interesting in Ruff's interview yesterday how he sort of eludes to Zacha being one of our top 6 forwards, I sure agree but not sure if that's a consensus opinion aha

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Take out the MB being selfish etc.
Hopefully its a health concern thing and nothing stupid. But most could argue (him specifically who got it pretty bad) that the vaccine minimizes the effects it has on you. Yes breakthrough cases are happening, but hospitalizations and death are much rarer if vaccinated. So those who are saying its a health concerns thing, seem to be making the point to get vaccinated. The reply will be he has self made immunity which is correct but it does fade away. Each person if different on how long antibodies are effective. So the potential to be reinfected grows more further from his first infection.

The argument that it is only a concern for Canandian teams sounds dumb. Nothing sounds more selfish than "you go do this thing for the good of the team, I'm not". Lou Lams would have already traded him to the San Diego Seagulls by now!
Hopefully its just another dumb story that gets fixed soon.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
i do think he'll cave eventually, his posture at that interview really seemed like someone who's on the brink

I don't think it is a matter of caving?

"I have a couple of health concerns and health reasons why I’m working through it a little slower." - McKenzie Blackwood

I am willing to take the man at his word. This should be enough to end the discussion (or least the speculation) until we know anything more...At least in my opinion.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

"I have a couple of health concerns and health reasons why I’m working through it a little slower." - McKenzie Blackwood

I am willing to take the man at his word. This should be enough to end the discussion (or least the speculation) until we know anything more...At least in my opinion.

I just think that if it were actual medical concerns (Like you and my brother had, as discussed in the now defunct Covid thread), then that's an easy PR fix for both him and the Devils. Like a slam dunk, "My doctors have advised me against it for the time-being because of existing medical conditions that I'd rather not discuss in public." statement would have stopped most of the online quarrelling about it. I'd question the competence of both Devils PR and his agent / those advising him if they missed that super easy opportunity to end speculation.

Instead it's the same old "Ya well, ya know, have some concerns, taking my time..." hockey guy drivel.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I just think that if it were actual medical concerns (Like you and my brother had, as discussed in the now defunct Covid thread), then that's an easy PR fix for both him and the Devils. Like a slam dunk, "My doctors have advised me against it for the time-being because of existing medical conditions that I'd rather not discuss in public." statement would have stopped most of the online quarrelling about it. I'd question the competence of both Devils PR and his agent / those advising him if they missed that super easy opportunity to end speculation.

Instead it's the same old "Ya well, ya know, have some concerns, taking my time..." hockey guy drivel.

Yeah just look at the Leafs and Nylander

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I suppose?

But my thought is we know he does have some other factors involved here like having had a rough case, having pre-existing conditions and there can very well be more circumstances that are at the root of his concerns. His mother is a medical professional and I am sure he is getting the absolute best advice available.

I sort of dismiss the PR angle...If he has any sort of issue, explaining the circumstances well enough could very well be burdensome(Edit: and open to skepticism/critique) and honestly we aren't owed that explanation...At least not more than "I have a couple of health concerns and health reasons why I’m working through it a little slower."

So we have to believe 1 of 2 things here...He has concerns surrounding his specific health circumstances or he is making some type of moral/philosophical statement...He literally said "I have health concerns" though.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I wonder what percentage of casual Devils fans would correctly answer that Sharangovich is older than Bratt.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
No eyeball watchers were predicting his breakout either though.

His jump was unexpected by all.
Well, kind of. He seemed to have turned a corner at the end of his AHL stint, and carried it over to his time in the KHL, so it wasn't a COMPLETE surprise to some.

Reactions: My3Sons

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

I'd believe him more and that he was taking it more seriously if he wasn't doing meet and greets with fans as others here had pointed out. Someone else here said it, I'm sorry I forgot who but that it's a bad look by the front office to have allowed that autograph session to happen considering he isn't vaccainted and it was days before training camp started.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
No eyeball watchers were predicting his breakout either though.

His jump was unexpected by all.

I don't remember where, but I think I read somewhere that there were several teams that were considering drafting Yegor in 2018. Multiple scouting orgs saw something. The guy that closes his eyes and plugs numbers into his enigma machine was blindsided.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ugh, brutal writeup from Dom on the Devils season preview. LMAO

Here we go again …
Another offseason, another preseason filled with rave reviews for a Devils team that did “everything right” and looks primed to take the next step toward relevancy.
This summer, the team specifically targeted players my model likely overrates and what we’re left with is a pie-in-the-sky projection for a team that finished third last in the league with a 66-point pace.
This season, the Devils are expected to earn far more points and be in contention for a playoff spot. I’ve seen this film before …

New Jersey Devils 2021-22 season preview

He hasn't updated the overall list yet, but I guess we're 20th.

So I'll guess he thinks Hamilton isn't as good as advertised? I cannot imagine that low key acquisitions like Graves, Tatar, and Bernier are all that "overrated" given the costs involved.

Reactions: Blackjack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad