Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation) - Part III [MOD warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
In this article Nylander says essentially/gives as much information as Blackwood did

"I'm not fully vaccinated yet. I had a couple of medical things that I had to take care but I'll be vaccinated by the beginning of the season," Nylander explained.

Obvious difference is: "I'll be vaccinated by the beginning of the season" - But is not reasonable to believe Blackwood has a different or currently unknown timeline?

I think we are slicing hairs here?

there’s a very big difference between ‘not fully vaccinated but i will be before the season starts’ and whatever word salad blackwood offered. nylander clearly wants to, blackwood clearly doesn’t. i think blackwood saw what happened with the other clowns like wilde and chose his words more carefully.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I'm so happy not to give a shit about any of this. Even more happy there is a game on tonight and there will be more than enough arguments to choose from to jump into.

Reactions: HyperX

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
In this article Nylander says essentially/gives as much information as Blackwood did

"I'm not fully vaccinated yet. I had a couple of medical things that I had to take care but I'll be vaccinated by the beginning of the season," Nylander explained.

Obvious difference is: "I'll be vaccinated by the beginning of the season" - But is not reasonable to believe Blackwood has a different or currently unknown timeline?

Blackwood said he hasn’t decided if he’ll get vaccinated yet.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I never know whether these models are reasonably predictive or just measure isolated impacts that tell you something about the past but cannot realistically be extrapolated. Tatar sat on the market for a while and signed a short term low risk deal for NJ. I cannot imagine that GMs saw anything close to a top line player if he had settle for what he got. In my view, with the exception of Hamilton, the most important signing is Bernier. MBW is coming off ankle surgery and still rehabbing so the second goalie sounds key (putting aside any games missed due to league protocols).

Dom's model is really optimized for betting (as he himself likes to bet). It's "predictive" in the sense that the model inputs are designed to give an accurate reading of team strength, which can then be used to predict team-level outcomes. FWIW, his model outperforms the market consistently, and is typically better than most other comparable, publicly available models.

Whether his individual GSVA player ratings are "accurate" or "predictive" is harder to determine. But there must be something there, because if the overall model outcomes are good, the inputs must be somewhat reliable.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Nylander is said this:

“I had a couple of medical things to take care of, and I’ll be fully vaccinated by the beginning of the season,” said Nylander.

I can’t find the tweet now but when a reporter listed the unvaccinated players, they reported Nylander was on it because he had one shot of a two dose vaccine. So he’s just waiting on his second shot, which is why he saying he will be fully vaccinated before the season started.

Nylander had a established legit medical reason for his delay too, unlike the baseless one people are gifting Dr Blackwood here.

Here’s someone commenting on it, this is all the research you’re getting out of me. If you want to Just Ask Questions ™️ based on one quote don’t expect people to take that opinion very seriously.

Edit: forgot the tweet

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
there’s a very big difference between ‘not fully vaccinated but i will be before the season starts’ and whatever word salad blackwood offered. nylander clearly wants to, blackwood clearly doesn’t. i think blackwood saw what happened with the other clowns like wilde and chose his words more carefully.

I am putting myself and my experience in Blackwood's situation, obviously it is not the same or even remotely the same...But It took me a lot of time to get my first shot because of logistics and things I needed to take care of.

What is similar though is I was up against a deadline and thankfully every single person I encountered gave me the space and time to do everything I needed to feel comfortable with the decision.

If I was asked questions at various times of that process with cameras rolling, I'd probably span the gamut of evasive to irritable to down right confrontational .

A lot of people here are making broad sweeping assumptions with literally no information or knowledge at all of his situation. That seems inherently wrong to me.

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Nylander is said this:

“I had a couple of medical things to take care of, and I’ll be fully vaccinated by the beginning of the season,” said Nylander.

I can’t find the tweet now but when a reporter listed the unvaccinated players, they reported Nylander was on it because he had one shot of a two dose vaccine. So he’s just waiting on his second shot, which is why he saying he will be fully vaccinated before the season started.

Nylander had a established legit medical reason for his delay too, unlike the baseless one people are gifting Dr Blackwood here.

Here’s someone commenting on it, this is all the research you’re getting out of me. If you want to Just Ask Questions ™️ based on one quote don’t expect people to take that opinion very seriously.
too bad we don't have toronto-level media right now to dig, there was no way nylander would've gotten away w hiding it the same way macblack is

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Dom's model is really optimized for betting (as he himself likes to bet). It's "predictive" in the sense that the model inputs are designed to give an accurate reading of team strength, which can then be used to predict team-level outcomes. FWIW, his model outperforms the market consistently, and is typically better than most other comparable, publicly available models.

Whether his individual GSVA player ratings are "accurate" or "predictive" is harder to determine. But there must be something there, because if the overall model outcomes are good, the inputs must be somewhat reliable.
Offensive production is the most predictive. He’s made attempts improve the models ability to reflect defense. Dom discusses his model at length and shares it with everyone, the best part about him is that it’s an open public dialogue.

It’s like that with several of these guys. You can learn a lot about how advanced stats and modeling works, including their limitations and how they are constantly trying to improve them to overcome those limitations. It’s not like they just shove numbers in your face and demand that you bow before them. Some fans are cartoonishly hostile to them over this stuff, here and on Twitter, when it’s just… information. And, to me, it’s just kind of fun and interesting (and at times educational!).

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I am putting myself and my experience in Blackwood's situation, obviously it is not the same or even remotely the same...But It took me a lot of time to get my first shot because of logistics and things I needed to care of.

you're right, it's absolutely not the same. but how long has the vaccine been available? we're a couple of days away from october, there's no logistical nightmare that would have prevented him from getting it by now.

What is similar though is I was up against a deadline and thankfully every single person I encountered gave me the space and time to do everything I needed to feel comfortable with the decision.

are you saying he didn't have the time and space? everyone else did. you said you know your experience isn't the same as his, yet you're giving a lot of excuses that don't apply to a professional athlete.

If I was asked questions at various times of that process with cameras rolling, I'd probably span the gamut of evasive to irritable to down right confrontational .

i personally don't mind or care about the testiness of his responses, i just want him to get the shot.

A lot of people here are making broad sweeping assumptions with literally no information or knowledge at all of his situation. That seems inherently wrong to me.

what broad or sweeping assumptions have been made? i can't think of a medical reason that would prevent a professional athlete from getting a damn shot. i can't think of a logistical problem that would prevent it, since 99% of players in the league somehow managed. if you can think of another excuse, by all means throw it out for consideration.

it's not a broad and sweeping assumption, it's logically ruling out scenarios and looking at what you're left with.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
you're right, it's absolutely not the same. but how long has the vaccine been available? we're a couple of days away from october, there's no logistical nightmare that would have prevented him from getting it by now.

Perhaps he had his balls cut open and could really get around for a while....I mean his ankle...I think? I don't know

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Perhaps he had his balls cut open and could really get around for a while....I mean his ankle...I think? I don't know

oh, please, the 'my balls were cut open' is the oldest excuse in the book. all you have to do is suture them back together in a panini press and you're good to go.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
oh, please, the 'my balls were cut open' is the oldest excuse in the book. all you have to do is suture them back together in a panini press and you're good to go.
I didn't know about the panini part? I was just using ice.

Reactions: My3Sons

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Pittman by far. Tolentino and Pyzik are both over the top and have limited to zero PA experience. Simple things like clean enunciation and projection are going to be issues with both of them. Still shocking that this is the best they could come up with.

I also don't get the need from these PA guys to scream. The best PA announcers by a mile were Bob Sheppard and Bob Arsena, neither of which screamed into the mic. The same goes for Paul Olden with the Yankees now who is very good. It's incredibly bush league when these guys try to put on a performance.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nylander is said this:

Edit: forgot the tweet

I think something to take note of is that Nylander didn't divulge any of that information to the public.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I think something to take note of is that Nylander didn't divulge any of that information to the public.
He said straight out that he would be vaccinated by start of the regular season.

And I don’t know where the information about him getting his first shot was, the tweet had a dates.

Duncan Keith had to go to the US to get a single dose vaccination after Holland “encouraged him”. Keith did that so he could get a shot, quarantine and still make the tail of training camp.

So it’s clearly different because Nylander isn’t hemming and hawing. There is no way for him to be fully vaccinated by October 13th if he hadn’t started the process.

Blackwood isn’t getting vaccinated. “Thinking about it” (after telling the team you would do it and then reneging) is better than going to Anti-Vax rally like Rinaldo but it’s nothing like Nylander’s situation. And I’m not going to imagine Blackwood having a credible medical exemption based on no concrete factual information. Blackwood didn’t even make that claim, it’s conspiracy theory-style projection based on loose interpretations of his goofy comments.

Reactions: Triumph

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Blackwood besides being a whacko has put himself ahead of the organization, a bad culture fit, trade him to the Panthers or Stars.

You can't be serious. Every player reserves the right to decide what they put in their body. There is a slim chance he gets the jab and ends up like professional tennis player Jeremy Chardy.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You can't be serious. Every player reserves the right to decide what they put in their body. There is a slim chance he gets the jab and ends up like professional tennis player Jeremy Chardy.

Do you think that Blackwood questions the medical professionals when he gets treatment, meds, etc for other injuries? How about the ankle surgery he had this offseason, wonder how much he "researched" that?

yeah. Exactly.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Pittman by far. Tolentino and Pyzik are both over the top and have limited to zero PA experience. Simple things like clean enunciation and projection are going to be issues with both of them. Still shocking that this is the best they could come up with.

I also don't get the need from these PA guys to scream. The best PA announcers by a mile were Bob Sheppard and Bob Arsena, neither of which screamed into the mic. The same goes for Paul Olden with the Yankees now who is very good. It's incredibly bush league when these guys try to put on a performance.
It’s impossibly pathetic and @Satans Hockey ‘s front office rants, which are pretty spot on, can be inserted here. I don’t even have the energy to complain about them not trying while they take my money at this point.

They’re really f***ing lucky I love this dumb team more than most things on earth so I’ll just roll with how they insult their paying customers with this crap. It’s a bad business model that doesn’t translate outside of major US sports franchises and the idiots who support them though.

Reactions: Satans Hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad