Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation) - Part III [MOD warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
You can't be serious. Every player reserves the right to decide what they put in their body. There is a slim chance he gets the jab and ends up like professional tennis player Jeremy Chardy.
You mean unable to play just like Blackwood was last season when he caught Covid? It's more likely he catches it again then experiencing those side effects.. smh

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Do you think that Blackwood questions the medical professionals when he gets treatment, meds, etc for other injuries? How about the ankle surgery he had this offseason, wonder how much he "researched" that?

yeah. Exactly.

The fact that you can't comprehend the extreme difference of scale on your comparisons is wild to me.

While I personally am vaccinated, I totally 100% can respect others for their decisions to not choose to be vaccinated.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The fact that you can't comprehend the extreme difference of scale on your comparisons is wild to me.

While I personally am vaccinated, I totally 100% can respect others for their decisions to not choose to be vaccinated.

How is it any different?

"I want to do more research"

What could he POSSIBLY find out that he medical professionals have not found out already? Also, do you think that he has "researched" any of the pain meds, treatments, etc that he has been given in his career? Of course not.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
How is it any different?

What could he POSSIBLY find out that he medical professionals have not found out already? Also, do you think that he has "researched" any of the pain meds, treatments, etc that he has been given in his career? Of course not.

I think he's sidestepping the question because he doesn't want to make this about him. If he rightfully answers with true concerns, the media watchdogs are going to flip out.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Do you think that Blackwood questions the medical professionals when he gets treatment, meds, etc for other injuries? How about the ankle surgery he had this offseason, wonder how much he "researched" that?

yeah. Exactly.
I'll never understand why these two things are relentlessly compared.

Injuries and surgeries are commonplace, especially for a pro athlete, and procedures have evolved over decades or more.

mRNA vaccination is a *new* phenomenon that some are slower to willingly adopt.

Reactions: nugg

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
How is it any different?

Not to mention - the argument of "I'm vaccinated but I don't feel safe around you because you're not vaccinated!" isn't a very strong argument when trying to convince somebody to then get that said vaccination that you claim is not protecting you.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
too bad we don't have toronto-level media right now to dig, there was no way nylander would've gotten away w hiding it the same way macblack is
It would be much easier on him if he came out and said something along the lines of "I have a medical issue that I am waiting to get clearance from the doctors for prior to taking the vaccine" instead of leaving it up to speculation and allowing ppl to do deep dives into his IG likes and follows. Would've nipped it in the bud instead of being the dumpster fire it's become. Also I don't think people are acknowledging enough the fact that he mislead the team. How'd that go? Hey Mac, youre getting the shot right? Yeah, soon. Then he shows up and was like nah I didn't get it, my bad?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think he's sidestepping the question because he doesn't want to make this about him. If he rightfully answers with true concerns, the media watchdogs are going to flip out.

He isn't providing any "true concerns" because there AREN'T any...what about this aren't you getting? If he had a medical issue ala Nylander with the Leafs, it would have been reported.

I'll never understand why these two things are relentlessly compared.

Injuries and surgeries are commonplace, especially for a pro athlete, and procedures have evolved over decades or more.

mRNA vaccination is a *new* phenomenon that some are slower to willingly adopt.

mRNA vaccination is not most certainly NOT a new phenomenon. Its been in development for literally decades.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Not to mention - the argument of "I'm vaccinated but I don't feel safe around you because you're not vaccinated!" isn't a very strong argument when trying to convince somebody to then get that said vaccination that you claim is not protecting you.

Its pretty clear you have literally NO idea how this even works.

The virus mutates in the unvaccinated people, which is where all these new (stronger) variants are coming from. If everyone were to be vaccinated, we would theoretically not have any newer variants arise...

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It would be much easier on him if he came out and said something along the lines of "I have a medical issue that I am waiting to get clearance from the doctors for prior to taking the vaccine" instead of leaving it up to speculation and allowing ppl to do deep dives into his IG likes and follows. Would've nipped it in the bud instead of being the dumpster fire it's become. Also I don't think people are acknowledging enough the fact that he mislead the team. How'd that go? Hey Mac, youre getting the shot right? Yeah, soon. Then he shows up and was like nah I didn't get it, my bad?

as someone (I think @Triumph) said yesterday- if there was a legit medical reason, the Devils would be sure to release that information. There isn't one.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Reasons aside, and outside of anyone on the team actually catching covid or testing positive, what’s the worst case scenario if Blackwood never gets vaccinated? Is he only required to sit out of the Canada road trips or will there be buildings/states that won’t let him play? I assume it’s just Canada (and even then they may decide on an exception at the last minute), but i haven’t seen it clearly spelled out anywhere.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Reasons aside, and outside of anyone on the team actually catching covid or testing positive, what’s the worst case scenario if Blackwood never gets vaccinated? Is he only required to sit out of the Canada road trips or will there be buildings/states that won’t let him play? I assume it’s just Canada (and even then they may decide on an exception at the last minute), but i haven’t seen it clearly spelled out anywhere.

New York City and Los Angeles.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

The worst case scenario is he misses those games AND gets infected again AND possibly causes a few breakthrough infections.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
How is it any different?

Also can we please stop calling it “research”? No one saying that is doing real research if they’re even looking into it at all

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
mRNA vaccination is not most certainly NOT a new phenomenon. Its been in development for literally decades.

Development, certainly. But deployment, especially on this unprecedented scale *is* new. I can't fault someone for having reservations.

Reactions: nugg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Also I don't think people are acknowledging enough the fact that he mislead the team. How'd that go? Hey Mac, youre getting the shot right? Yeah, soon. Then he shows up and was like nah I didn't get it, my bad?

Yeah I have to agree, that part of it hasn’t gotten enough play and was cowardly at best.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Development, certainly. But deployment, especially on this unprecedented scale *is* new. I can't fault someone for having reservations.

Correct. Considering they only surpassed stage 2, when the EUA was signed. The latter phase trials are ongoing.

019037-00580-SCREEN-COVID-19-Stages-of-Clinical-Trials-1920x1080-1.jpg

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

yeah. Exactly.
Also I’d rather eat a bullet than get into whataboutisms over this. That’s hitting the bottom of COVID idiot debate barrel head first and I don’t know why anyone would do it.

Blackwood doesn’t have a medical exemption until proven otherwise. That’s just how concrete information and words work.

My nephew got whacked pretty hard with COVID while at College. (He stayed in apartment with some fraternity brothers taking on-line classes for real depressing year.)

He got to take a summer course, on-line, at Business School in Denmark. And he got COVID again in Denmark this summer, despite being vaccinated.

At the time, Demark was having what they consider an epidemic - pretty much from a virulent strain of the Delta among running amuck among young men, 20-29 in cities, who did not have great vaccination numbers.

So needless to say it cut like hot butter through a lot of people in his class/social circle, because young men take zero precautions.

The value of vaccine for him was he barely felt sick at all and got over it quickly. As opposed to being sick for several months.

A vaccine is not a magic spell. It’s greatly reduces the overall infection rate and it keeps you out the hospital.

I would think “keep you out the hospital” would be a little more important to Blackwood, he doesn’t seem to understand that the new strains can hit him even harder, which is part of my frustration. Unvaccinated people are also more infectious too. It’s not just about not getting it. I can tell you my nephew (and his parents and myself and the rest of my family) was pretty thrilled that he felt it was a short mild cold. That’s not how a lot of people describe getting the Delta variant.

I know some people will want to debate the vaccine but keep to yourself, because I don’t. And I think they’re striking down pointless non-scientist vs non-scientist bad science debates. You say what you think but I’m not going to discuss this part further.

My point is I don’t want this schmuck to get sick because he’s making a bad decision here. And that’s the NHL stance too.

And he doesn’t actually have the freedom to do ever he wants and certainly not gaining freedoms with his choice. Here are the NHL COVID Protocols. This is what Blackwood is supposed to do when he’s not at work:

25B22969-9E84-4ABE-854F-03E17043245D.jpeg

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2021-22/2021-22COVIDProtocol.pdf

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Also I’d rather eat a bullet than get into whataboutisms over this. That’s hitting the bottom of COVID idiot debate barrel head first and I don’t know why anyone would do it.

Blackwood doesn’t have a medical exemption until proven otherwise. That’s just how concrete information and words work.

My nephew got whacked pretty hard with COVID while at College. (He stayed in apartment with some fraternity brothers taking on-line classes for real depressing year.)

He got to take a summer course, on-line, at Business School in Denmark. And he got COVID again in Denmark this summer, despite being vaccinated.

At the time, Demark was having what they consider an epidemic - pretty much from a virulent strain of the Delta among running amuck among young men, 20-29 in cities, who did not have great vaccination numbers.

So needless to say it cut like hot butter through a lot of people in his class/social circle, because young men take zero precautions.

The value of vaccine for him was he barely felt sick at all and got over it quickly. As opposed to being sick for several months.

A vaccine is not a magic spell. It’s greatly reduces the overall infection rate and it keeps you out the hospital.

I would think “keep you out the hospital” would be a little more important to Blackwood, he doesn’t seem to understand that the new strains can hit him even harder, which is part of my frustration. Unvaccinated people are also more infectious too. It’s not just about not getting it. I can tell you my nephew (and his parents and myself and the rest of my family) was pretty thrilled that he felt it was a short mild cold. That’s not how a lot of people describe getting the Delta variant.

I know some people will want to debate the vaccine but keep to yourself, because I don’t. And I think they’re striking down pointless non-scientist vs non-scientist bad science debates. You say what you think but I’m not going to discuss this part further.

My point is I don’t want this schmuck to get sick because he’s making a bad decision here. And that’s the NHL stance too.

And he doesn’t actually have the freedom to do ever he wants and certainly not gaining freedoms with his choice. Here are the NHL COVID Protocols. This is what Blackwood is supposed to do when he’s not at work:

View attachment 467086
https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2021-22/2021-22COVIDProtocol.pdf

Sounds overly punitive to me, as opposed to being singularly focused on health . Does the NHL know that most mask coverings are too porous to contain the covid particle and that the authorities arbitrarily made up the 6 foot distance rule because the public would have had a harder time visualizing a 10 foot distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad