Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation) - Part III [MOD warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
i actually think Holtz WONT make the opening night roster. I think he could use a little more seasoning; a little more time working in a system and getting used to smaller ice while playing tons of minutes . Mercer doesn’t look like he needs any seasoning at all. He might as well be practicing and going through the motions with an NHL team.

I think Holtz absolutely COULD make the team, and if/when he gets called up, he’s not going back down. But i think Fitzgerald knows the regular season is a marathon and keeps both Jankowski and Vesey and also maybe Studenic or Zetterlund to play depth roles. Nobody’s worried about those guys’ development.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So ELC slides all of a sudden dont matter?

Ty Smith was left down for two straight seasons after looking much better than Holtz, all for an ELC slide.

i think it matters much more than youre letting on

Ty couldn't go to the AHL though. It's much easier to send Holtz to Utica and you can easily bring him back if needed or if he earns it.

I see no reason to deny the kid a few games right now. He is playing well so unless he craters in preseason i think he earned it.

Ty looked completely lost at his first camp. Holtz has looked more ready then he did when they sent Ty back to juniors.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Ty couldn't go to the AHL though. It's much easier to send Holtz to Utica and you can easily bring him back if needed or if he earns it.

I see no reason to deny the kid a few games right now. He is playing well so unless he craters in preseason i think he earned it.

Ty looked completely lost at his first camp. Holtz has looked more ready then he did when they sent Ty back to juniors.
Its how many games though

a few is fine.. like, a few or nine

My only issue is Holtz playing enough to burn an ELC year when, quite frankly, I dont think hed improve as much in the areas he needs to as if he was playing top minutes in the AHL

We know he can score and pass, but Im not sure if he can do much else at an NHL level right now

Reactions: mdj12784

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

My only issue is Holtz playing enough to burn an ELC year when, quite frankly, I dont think hed improve as much in the areas he needs to as if he was playing top minutes in the AHL

We know he can score and pass, but Im not sure if he can do much else at an NHL level right now

5 or so games and you reassess from there.

I have no issue burning the year if he earns it beyond those few games. If not send him to Utica.

Reactions: HyperX

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

He is almost certain to burn the year. Even if he gets sent down to the AHL to begin the season, there's almost no way he would stay there all year, and it would only be in worst-case scenarios that he doesn't burn it (either he's not good enough in the AHL or he gets injured).

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
5 or so games and you reassess from there.

I have no issue burning the year if he earns it beyond those few games. If not send him to Utica.
Thats perfect for me

Though some feel hes the first call-up if injuries happen and I just dont see that either (especially if he plays 5-6 of his 9 and is sent down early)

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014

Wrong. Ty was the last cut his first camp. His second camp however was much worse.

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Thats perfect for me

Though some feel hes the first call-up if injuries happen and I just dont see that either (especially if he plays 5-6 of his 9 and is sent down early)

If a skill guy goes down with injury him and Foote absolutely should be first in line to fill in barring bad AHL play (which would be really concerning)

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I am not convinced Holtz will stick this year either BTW. I just see no harm in giving him a taste and seeing how he does based on his preseason so far.
Normally I advocate for prospects coming up earlier than most as I dont really think ruining a player is much more than their own emotional issues.

But with Alex.. his knowledge of the NA game, its tendencies, and its nuances is so raw that learning that (on top of adjusting to NHL pace as a not-the-strongest strong skater at 19) is a LOT to ask

Whens the last time we had someone tear up the AHL? Let Alex do that and adjust to the size of the rink, the motions he needs to be making on the ice for cycles and so on.. things like that.

Dawson already has a commanding base on these sort of topics and has done very well to refine them. Its Alex's turn and thatll take some time (probably this year and then make the team fulltime next year)

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Interesting that the devils have over a week(8 days) in between their last preseason game and their season opener. That’s much more than most teams and will give them lots of time to work on systems and special teams.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
i actually think Holtz WONT make the opening night roster. I think he could use a little more seasoning; a little more time working in a system and getting used to smaller ice while playing tons of minutes . Mercer doesn’t look like he needs any seasoning at all. He might as well be practicing and going through the motions with an NHL team.

I think Holtz absolutely COULD make the team, and if/when he gets called up, he’s not going back down. But i think Fitzgerald knows the regular season is a marathon and keeps both Jankowski and Vesey and also maybe Studenic or Zetterlund to play depth roles. Nobody’s worried about those guys’ development.

i thought studenic played very good today. easy to excited about all these prospects and lose sight but he quietly looks really good.. i think Holtz sticks personally but who knows could go either way.. i don't see jankowski... over thompson..... mercer is in as far as I'm concerned but no matter what we are gonna have 2-4 forwards in utica that probably deserve NHL minutes now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad