Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation) - Part III [MOD warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
because thats exactly what his draft profile is, take out the 'floating around' part

Alexander Holtz is not some two-way player and never has been. Idk why were fabricating stuff now. He has 100% always been seen as an offense-first player
That was the Hughes meme as well, but that didn't prove to be accurate.

I think the real Holtz pre-draft concern is his skating. Which, thus far, I think fits the scouting report in that it looks merely OK. But I don't think that improves more playing in Utica then it would in NJ.

Still need to work through the rest of preseason, and I'm not saying he should stay in the NHL all of this season, but right now I'd like to see him start the season in NJ.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Im fine with Holtz getting his nine games, by the way. I just dont think they will because he simply wont develop that part of his game that quickly, and Im willing to bet they understand that and dont want to tease him with the idea of making it

Will you stop with these nine games. He can play as many games as the Devils want him to and then go down. He can ride an elevator all season long.

The slide on his ELC contract would be gone if he playys 10 NHL games. However, due to whatever issues occur in NJ throughout the season, he would be the first forward call-up from Utica, so you can stop worrying about the slide issue. He will get more than 10 NHL games this season.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I agree with Jim. If/when Holtz hits a wall its easy to just send him to Utica with instructions

I see little reason to deny him some NHL games right now.
Burning a year of his ELC is the only reason

well besides the fact that hed be on NA ice all while discovering NHL pacing and having to learn the game away from the puck that hes never had

its asking a lot of a 19-20yo.

Mercer seems so ready because he has that game away from the puck figured out. And No we dont need Holtz to be defensive, but we do need him to coexist when he isnt scoring or passing

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
This is nothing but preseason hype

Holtz has never been a two way player but all of a sudden he should be okay away from the puck at 5v5 in the NHL after less than 12 games on NA ice

A major leap of faith that I think is nothing but faith. But hey, hopefully Im wrong
He’s been able to play away from the puck fine so far. If that doesn’t continue it’s pretty easy to send him down. The thing is I’m not even saying you’re definitely wrong. He could struggle at 5v5 at some point. But it doesn’t make sense to cut him when he hasn’t struggled at all to this point.

Hey you’ve been good in camp and haven’t had any problems defensively but we’re gonna cut you because you might at some point down the road. That wouldn’t make any sense.

Reactions: Hisch13r

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Will you stop with these nine games. He can play as many games as the Devils want him to and then go down. He can ride an elevator all season long.

The slide on his ELC contract would be gone if he playys 10 NHL games. However, due to whatever issues occur in NJ throughout the season, he would be the first forward call-up from Utica, so you can stop worrying about the slide issue. He will get more than 10 NHL games this season.
So ELC slides all of a sudden dont matter?

Ty Smith was left down for two straight seasons after looking much better than Holtz, all for an ELC slide.

i think it matters much more than youre letting on

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Burning a year of his ELC is the only reason

well besides the fact that hed be on NA ice all while discovering NHL pacing and having to learn the game away from the puck that hes never had

its asking a lot of a 19-20yo.

Mercer seems so ready because he has that game away from the puck figured out. And No we dont need Holtz to be defensive, but we do need him to coexist when he isnt scoring or passing
He has coexisted quite fine so far

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
We also just beat the Rangers 7-1

things in the preseason may not be as large as they seem to appear
As I said before. If he starts to struggle it’s easy to send him down. Don’t cut him when he’s doing well because you think you think he could struggle in the future.

Reactions: Hisch13r

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Ill just leave it at this because now it seems like im anti-Holtz or something:

Id be ecstatic if they keep him up; why wouldnt I be? His shot is good enough to score 15-20 this year next to a Jack or Nico

I just think an ELC slide, with him as our biggest offensive prospect outside the NHL, matters. Also, I think he will get eaten alive 5v5 after the honeymoon phase wears off

But all the power to Alex and I hope he proves that Im terribly wrong!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I have comcast so I didn't get to watch last night's game, but Boqvist's stat line looked pretty good last night. Both on-ice and individual.

I've also noted a bunch that he actually produced pretty well as a center last year, that with some pretty unproductive linemates like Johnsson.

The emergence of Mercer might send him back to Utica, but I'd be more then OK if he made the team, perhaps as a winger, and I do like the center depth he provides whether he is in NJ or in Utica.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I just think an ELC slide, with him as our biggest offensive prospect outside the NHL, matters. Also, I think he will get eaten alive 5v5 after the honeymoon phase wears off

But all the power to Alex and I hope he proves that Im terribly wrong!
He's a winger, you put him with good players he will do fine in terms of possession and gf.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
So ELC slides all of a sudden dont matter?

Ty Smith was left down for two straight seasons after looking much better than Holtz, all for an ELC slide.

i think it matters much more than youre letting on

I know it matters, but I am saying they are not going to send him to the AHL and forget about him until the next season. He will get more than 10 games in NJ over the course of the season if he shows anything like so many seem to think he will. If he doesn't, he'll stay.

I'm with Daneyko. He said, and I paraphrase, "Mercer is making it hard to keep him off the roster. Holtz looks good, but there are parts of his game that will be better learned in the AHL and there will be plenty of time to get him games in the NHL this season with the injuries that will certainly occur."

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If nothing else we should be able to agree that Holtz and Mercer are clearly a notch above the other prospects right now.

So will this game be on NJD TV? Oh, yeah there it is. It will be interesting to see just how ugly this is. Will be a test for Mac and Wedge.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think it is a bit much to expect Holtz to be able to handle top line minutes and play against top competition as well. I'd rather let him continue to develop in the minors and round out his game.
I'm not sure if the minutes would be an issue. He's not going to play on the PK. And at best he plays the pp 2nd unit, which is not a lot of minutes, and not strenuous minutes either.

Interesting to see if they up Hughes's responsibilities in terms of facing top opposition, but Hughes saw very easy comp last year. Nico will likely face tough comp, and if last year is an indicator, McLeod as well.

Now would the team want two rooks on that 3rd line? probably not.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I know it matters, but I am saying they are not going to send him to the AHL and forget about him until the next season. He will get more than 10 games in NJ over the course of the season if he shows anything like so many seem to think he will. If he doesn't, he'll stay.

I'm with Daneyko. He said, and I paraphrase, "Mercer is making it hard to keep him off the roster. Holtz looks good, but there are parts of his game that will be better learned in the AHL and there will be plenty of time to get him games in the NHL this season with the injuries that will certainly occur."
Thats a perfectly fine route to take and I dont necessarily disagree with it; its certainly the most all-around sound choice for his progression

Perhaps I value ELCs too much

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Will also quickly wreck our cap structure, but that's just the price you pay.

I still do not like giving Nico that contract he got, but that's about the only negative I have about him. I think it was way too many maybes and too early to give that kind of contract.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
All hes done is snipe a few goals, not sure that constitutes making the team

Mercer has been all around impressive so hes a lock to get nine games, at least

Plus Mercer can play 1st or 4th while Holtz has to be top-6 or he wont fit

Well...you know...Holtz is a sniper...and he's been scoring goals....so yea...I'd say he's been doing his job? :huh:

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I disagree here, I think while Mercer almost guaranteed himself a roster spot with those two games, Holtz hasn't shown much besides his lethal shot, he wasn't awful but I think that at this point he should start in AHL (there are still some games left though as you said).

You haven't really been watching then. I agree his defensive game seems not up to par yet, but all of his offensive game has been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad