Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation) - Part III [MOD warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Welp definitely seems like there's got to be something going on with Bratt and Smith. This is going to be a tough watch when Yegor or Jack aren't on the ice

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I don’t see it. As of right now Holtz is making the team. That could change with future performances but he isn’t getting left off based on these 2 games.
All hes done is snipe a few goals, not sure that constitutes making the team

Mercer has been all around impressive so hes a lock to get nine games, at least

Plus Mercer can play 1st or 4th while Holtz has to be top-6 or he wont fit

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Welp definitely seems like there's got to be something going on with Bratt and Smith

That lineup, ouch

Welp, it's preseason and a PM-afternoon back-to-back, so not unexpected.

Will check in anyhow and hope for the best.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Here is my suggestion...I thought I saw a little chemistry between Zacha and Tatar last night...one game...but I think I saw something

Sharangovich-Hughes-Holtz
Kuokkanen-Hischier-Bratt
Tatar-Mercer-Zacha
Johnsson-Mcleod-Wood

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

That's grossly understating how he's played. Stop with the top 6 or he can't play nonsense. Holtz would be perfectly fine on our 3rd line. The days of top 6-bottom 6 where the top 6 is skill and bottom 6 has no skill are long gone.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
I don’t see it. As of right now Holtz is making the team. That could change with future performances but he isn’t getting left off based on these 2 games.

I disagree here, I think while Mercer almost guaranteed himself a roster spot with those two games, Holtz hasn't shown much besides his lethal shot, he wasn't awful but I think that at this point he should start in AHL (there are still some games left though as you said).

Reactions: JimEIV

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Excited to see what Stillman can do with Hughes and Sharangovich. Was worried they were trying Johnsson there when I first saw the roster. Also the roster has Bahl in but the lineup above doesn’t show him. Can you carry extra players for preseason games and is he a 7th dman?

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
That's grossly understating how he's played. Stop with the top 6 or he can't play nonsense. Holtz would be perfectly fine on our 3rd line. The days of top 6-bottom 6 where the top 6 is skill and bottom 6 has no skill are long gone.
Holtz would get absolutely caved in a third line role

His only worth to the team right now is his shot; he does not possess a strong enough game away from the puck to warrant sliding a year of his ELC to have him play some of the lowest ES minutes and PP

If he makes it and stick then awesome, But I very much doubt he even gets a nine game trial.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Here is my suggestion...I thought I saw a little chemistry between Zacha and Tatar last night...one game...but I think I saw something

Sharangovich-Hughes-Holtz
Kuokkanen-Hischier-Bratt
Tatar-Mercer-Zacha
Johnsson-Mcleod-Wood

The guy who is 19th in 5v5 P/60 with great underlying numbers does not deserve to be that low in a lineup. Also lets say he is that low then you need to swap Holtz and Kuokkanen. That 2nd line will need a legit shooter and Kuokkanen is the least trigger happy guy on the team

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Holtz would get absolutely caved in a third line role

His only worth to the team right now is his shot; he does not possess a strong enough game away from the puck to warrant sliding a year of his ELC to have him play some of the lowest ES minutes and PP

If he makes it and stick then awesome, But I very much doubt he even gets a nine game trial.

A Kuokkanen-Mercer-Holtz line is more than fine as a 3rd line if you need to move him down

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey

Holtz hit Yegor with the pass for his breakaway goal. He also set Hughes up multiple times for grade A chances. I think he's been outstanding with his passing through the neutral zone leading to clean entries. He really hasn't had any blatant mistakes.

Scoreboard watching is the only way you could conclude he just "sniped a few goals"

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Holtz getting underrated again.

That there is a rough roster. Not great that there is still no Bratt and Smith. They have to have something going on. After missing the first few weeks of the season one of our beat writers will probably realize something is going on. Then the organization will say they are day to day until halfway through the season and they still aren't back...

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I disagree here, I think while Mercer almost guaranteed himself a roster spot with those two games, Holtz hasn't shown much besides his lethal shot, he wasn't awful but I think that at this point he should start in AHL (there are still some games left though as you said).

He was 2nd in shot contributions in the Washington game and tied for 1st in shot assists that game. I don't know how people are coming away with the impression that his shot is all he's showcased. Last game Holtz wasn't as good but a lot of people looked at the construction of his line and thought they'd get caved. He held his own and the line was the best possession line on the team.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think I agree...I think? But by the same token I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever with him getting the opportunity to start the season in the NHL in a top 6 role.

Reactions: hidek91

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Holtz getting underrated again.

That there is a rough roster. Not great that there is still no Bratt and Smith. They have to have something going on. After missing the first few weeks of the season one of our beat writers will probably realize something is going on. Then the organization will say they are day to day until halfway through the season and they still aren't back...
I don't think it's underrated? I think it's an over abundance of caution.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Welp definitely seems like there's got to be something going on with Bratt and Smith. This is going to be a tough watch when Yegor or Jack aren't on the ice

Yikes. That's quite a lineup. Siegenthaler with a huge opportunity here to get a lot of minutes, though... and it'll be interesting to watch the Okhotiuk and Walsh pairing.

Johnsson with scrubs...

Reactions: My3Sons

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
A Kuokkanen-Mercer-Holtz line is more than fine as a 3rd line if you need to move him down
It sounds fine until Holtz is like a lost puppy without the puck in the ozone. and a third line role isnt grinders anymore but its also almost always fundamentally sound defensive players

I think hes much better served scoring PPG and some impressive goal totals with 1st line minutes then scoring a point every 5-6 games while he plays very low ES minutes.

Dawson, on the other hand, has looked impressive even away from the puck (and always has, back to draft day) while Alex has always had questions about his defense and game away from the puck (outside if his effort, he certainly tries)

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Holtz hit Yegor with the pass for his breakaway goal. He also set Hughes up multiple times for grade A chances. I think he's been outstanding with his passing through the neutral zone leading to clean entries. He really hasn't had any blatant mistakes.

Scoreboard watching is the only way you could conclude he just "sniped a few goals"
Making some nice passes doesnt get you an NHL stay

Mercer is being seen as a lock because he has an NHL game; offensively, defensively, and in transition he has shown remarkable ability

Holtz is all offense and nothing else at the moment; when has he stripped someone and gone the other way? When has he gotten into a shot blocking situation? When has he bodied someone off the puck and gotten it out?

Holtz biggest knock since draft way was that he is all offense; he didnt just magically learn that part of his game in 10 AHL games and a week of training camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad