Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation) - Part III [MOD warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Rango - Hughes - Holtz
Zacha - Mercer - Kuokkanen
Tatar - Hischier - Bratt
Vesey - McLeod - Wood
Johnsson, Boqvist
I’d love to see Johnsson as a healthy scratch and Boqvist has been nothing but JAG his entire NHL career so far, so I do think we can get better players on the ice.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Hischier was horrible so far. He has really to prove this season that he is the real deal. After all these years he showed nothing but being out of gas after a couple of shifts. He looks like a weaker version of RNH. If he doesn’t start progressing he should be waived or demoted to the Ahl and call him a bust. I am tired of all these excuses for his poor play.
Imo he doesn‘t even have the right to play center on the second line.
I was going to laugh this post off as just a pot stirrer, like saying we should have left Bratt exposed, but then I saw you have 50 posts in 13 years...... This must be something you feel strongly about.....and that's scary.

Reactions: Hisch13r

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
I was going to laugh this post off as just a pot stirrer, like saying we should have left Bratt exposed, but then I saw you have 50 posts in 13 years...... This must be something you feel strongly about.....and that's scary.
Lol yes that’s a pretty hot take for a lurker. And this is coming from one…

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Tough to find negatives with the way things are going to this point but it's still a bit disconcerting that with the influx of new talent there are still players who appear to have spots based on contracts and salary as opposed to their production on the ice.

The sooner the Mercers and Holtzes move into prominent roles and some of the veterans assume the supplementary roles for which they are better suited the more likely it is that this team will compete on a nightly basis.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Outsider perspective, but long-term I see Nico pushed to wing with Zacha and Mercer as a 2A 2B threat.

So much center depth in NJ, someone has to move to wing and I think it makes more sense to have the bigger bodies in the middle.

See this similar to RNH's usage.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Tough to find negatives with the way things are going to this point but it's still a bit disconcerting that with the influx of new talent there are still players who appear to have spots based on contracts and salary as opposed to their production on the ice.

The sooner the Mercers and Holtzes move into prominent roles and some of the veterans assume the supplementary roles for which they are better suited the more likely it is that this team will compete on a nightly basis.
Just curious who you think those players are that have spots based on contracts?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Outsider perspective, but long-term I see Nico pushed to wing with Zacha and Mercer as a 2A 2B threat.

So much center depth in NJ, someone has to move to wing and I think it makes more sense to have the bigger bodies in the middle.

Zacha is a god awful center and belongs on the wing. Oilers had to move Nuge because they had basically no good wingers. Nico also isn’t small and is bigger than Mercer is so he wouldn’t be getting moved for a bigger bodied center.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Don't see that happening at all. Nico is very good and underrated at his position. Zacha is much better suited at wing than center.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Don't see that happening at all. Nico is very good and underrated at his position. Zacha is much better suited at wing than center.

I'm also alright with that. I just forsee Mercer being worth a top 6 spot sooner Rather than later.

Maybe Mercer moves to wing as well with McLeod at 3C and faceoff taking is platooned for strong side draws.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
krzysztof-oliwa.webp

One of the few poles who ever played in NHL. What memories of this guy do you people have?

Was he just a goon or did he have some skill?

Just asking out of curiosity.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I got a feeling opening lineup will be something like this:
Tatar-Hughes-Sharangovich
Johnsson-Hischier-Bratt
Kuokkanen-Zacha-Mercer
Wood-McLeod-Vesey

Graves-Hamilton
Smith-Severson
Sigenthaler-Subban

Bernier-Blackwood

Wedgewood-Jankowski-Jaros

I think if Ruff wants Zacha at 3C then he'll start the season there, which unfortunately means Johnsson will probably start on a scoring line.

I would sign Vesey and Jankowski and play Boqvist on first line in AHL with Foote and Holtz.
Mercer starts the year at 3RW and probably eventually becomes 3C once Ruff realise Johnsson sucks and moves Zacha back to wing.

That is a significant downgrade than the lineups other people have been posting.

Sharangovich-Hughes-Holtz
Tatar-Hischier-Bratt
Zacha-Mercer-Kuokkanen
Wood-Mcleod-whoever

I like this balance way more.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
That is a significant downgrade than the lineups other people have been posting.

Sharangovich-Hughes-Holtz
Tatar-Hischier-Bratt
Zacha-Mercer-Kuokkanen
Wood-Mcleod-whoever

I like this balance way more.

I like this lineup for the start of the season and see how the youngsters do. The “whoever” I would like to be someone similar to Bastian that can hold his own physically and play with some energy. That line was set the tone in a lot of close games last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad