Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation) - Part III [MOD warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I wouldn’t say thats brutal. A 90pt season would be a huge step in the right direction for this group. Would anyone here be sad about that season?

Absolutely not, I’d sign up for that right now. Probably means we played meaningful games for the first time late in the year since Hall kicked and screamed his way with that 17-18 team into the playoffs

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Absolutely not, I’d sign up for that right now. Probably means we played meaningful games for the first time late in the year since Hall kicked and screamed his way with that 17-18 team into the playoffs
I'm not sure you play any meaningful games with a 90 point season....There will probably be 5 or 6 teams well over 100 in our conference...Another 4 or 5 in the high 90's...90 point season probably means you come to the realization that there will be no playoffs in February. I guess that's better than the normal October though?

Beetlebum

Oct 14, 2017
Blackwood besides being a whacko has put himself ahead of the organization, a bad culture fit, trade him to the Panthers or Stars.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm not sure you play any meaningful games with a 90 point season....There will probably be 5 or 6 teams well over 100 in our conference...Another 4 or 5 in the high 90's...90 point season probably means you come to the realization that there will be no playoffs in February. I guess that's better than the normal October though?

Well it would depend when the Devils stumble, no? They could be in a legit bubble spot like a 2-3 points out in March when the wheels fall off. Look at what happened to us in 17-18 as a perfect example to that.

Reactions: JimEIV

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
"bad culture fit"

What on Earth does that even mean? Some of you have let this virus run you so scared.

It really is insane seeing the level of vitriol some have for Blackwood now over this.

I got the vaccine myself, but I believe everyone should make their own decision. If he missed the 7 games in Canada, I could care less. It's a 1A/1B goalie tandem this season, so he was going to sit for ~40% of the games anyway, so you just have someone else serve as a backup for those games.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Well it would depend when the Devils stumble, no? They could be in a legit bubble spot like a 2-3 points out in March when the wheels fall off. Look at what happened to us in 17-18 as a perfect example to that.
Fair point for sure.

Beetlebum

Oct 14, 2017
"bad culture fit"

What on Earth does that even mean? Some of you have let this virus run you so scared.

Like a wise man said, the team is an orchestra, Blackwood isn't playing a tune right now because he is selfish. Not only to his teammates, but the community at large.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jim’s absolutely right because Nico and Jack are the backbone of this franchise, period. If they can’t take that next step, the Devils as a team aren’t taking that next step.
That is how I see it precisely. It's also why I criticize them more than any other players

What sense does it make to criticize some guy on the 3rd line playing 12 minutes a game? That means nothing to the team...Jack and Nico mean everything to the team and the future.

And they HAVE TO do better than what they've shown to date.

Reactions: Buck Dancer

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Like a wise man said, the team is an orchestra, Blackwood isn't playing a tune right now because he is selfish. Not only to his teammates, but the community at large.

Why would he selfishly do such a thing though? What's in it for him personally?

Reactions: JarkkoV

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
A 90 point season would not be progress. It would be a disgrace.

Besides probably the Avs recently, what other team has gone from the basement into contenders within a year or two? It takes time, I obviously want the playoffs but the growth of the youth is the first and most important step for this franchise.

Reactions: youryeah

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love

Look man - he's acting in his and his family's best interest. We can disagree what that is, but he's doing what he thinks is right for those around him. That's the opposite of selfish. I mean - I think his way of thinking is incorrect, but it does not appear he is doing this out of spite.

I do hope he turns it around soon, though.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Besides probably the Avs recently, what other team has gone from the basement into contenders within a year or two? It takes time, I obviously want the playoffs but the growth of the youth is the first and important step for this franchise.

I don't think you get the joke.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Look man - he's acting in his and his family's best interest. We can disagree what that is, but he's doing what he thinks is right for those around him. That's the opposite of selfish. I mean - I think his way of thinking is incorrect, but it does not appear he is doing this out of spite.

I do hope he turns it around soon, though.
But he isn't. The fact it hurts the team competitively, in addition to everyone around him, just makes it worse.

Making a bad decision, with "good" intentions (how does him personally not getting the vaccine affect positively,, in his head at least, anyone else though?), doesn't absolve someone of making a bad decision.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
It really is insane seeing the level of vitriol some have for Blackwood now over this.

I got the vaccine myself, but I believe everyone should make their own decision. If he missed the 7 games in Canada, I could care less. It's a 1A/1B goalie tandem this season, so he was going to sit for ~40% of the games anyway, so you just have someone else serve as a backup for those games.

I went through the schedule, the impact of Blackwood not being able to play in Canada is negligible except for one week in March:

• March 15 @ VAN
  • March 16 @ CGY
  • March 19 @ EDM
  • March 22 v NYR
  • March 23 @ TOR
So basically if you assume everyone healthy, and the team isn't facing a situation where they have to play Bernier this week even though he's going through a rough patch and needs a rest, the net effect of this is basically one Blackwood start has to become a Wedgewood start cause of the Back to Back march 15 + 16. Every other game in Canada can be handled by basically shuffling the games Blackwood was already going to sit to accommodate.

New Jersey Devils Schedule

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I went through the schedule, the impact of Blackwood not being able to play in Canada is negligible except for one week in March:

• March 15 @ VAN
  • March 16 @ CGY
  • March 19 @ EDM
  • March 22 v NYR
  • March 23 @ TOR
So basically if you assume everyone healthy, and the team isn't facing a situation where they have to play Bernier this week even though he's going through a rough patch and needs a rest, the net effect of this is basically one Blackwood start has to become a Wedgewood start cause of the Back to Back march 15 + 16. Every other game in Canada can be handled by basically shuffling the games Blackwood was already going to sit to accommodate.

New Jersey Devils Schedule
That could be an important week later in the season if they're in the mix as far as playoffs...

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I hope that with Ruff instilling this new found confidence in him that Zacha continues to push ahead. Yes, most say he simply had more shooting luck last year and wasn't an incredibly different player but him being utilized in a shooting role on a still fairly moribund powerplay and succeeding was more motivation than he had been given under the previous regime to best utilize his strengths.

I would love to continue to watch Zacha get better. I hope it's possible for him to do more, because that would be a solid if not unexpected boost to this roster.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
That could be an important week later in the season if they're in the mix as far as playoffs...

Yeah it's not ideal and I'm presenting a best case scenario (which doubles as a reasonable projection IMO) but I don't think it's worth going crazy over Blackwood's choice at this moment. If Blackwood gets vaccinated two weeks before that road trip then the impact of his decision should (hopefully) be truly negligible, so we'll see what he decides. The team is encouraging him to get vaccinated despite hearing his medical excuse, so it's possible he'll decide to do it. It's unclear if this is a strongly held position by him or just something he thought was the right thing to do and now he's not willing to sit through the social media / peer pressure to keep doing it.

If the Devils play a Canadian team in the playoffs and Blackwood is still holding out then his decision's impact will definitely be felt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad