Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation) - Part III [MOD warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
That has nothing to do with the fact that antibodies are more effective than the vaccine. My point is, why take a risk on vax side effects, no matter how rare, if you already have something more effective. Personally, i have both. But im not going to call someone selfish for exercising their freedom on not getting it.

And you did well for yourself. It’s frustrating when a pivotal piece of your team is this DeAngelo. His family is in medical sciences so this is even more surprising. A real shame, but I’ll forget if we wake up next week and he has atleast one dose.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He has a different belief/opinion then most, that doesn’t make him a scapegoat or a punching bag because of it.

I’m pissed we’ll be without our best goaltender for 7 games of an 82 game schedule but that’s about it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and pro athletes are no different.

Who knows, maybe he had it ultra rough and the thought of getting a second dose is scaring the shit out of him. Maybe he knows someone that died of it and getting a second dose is scaring the shit out of him. Maybe we have no idea why he’s not taking it and we’re all jumping to irrational conclusions?

Just saying…
Hopefully Wedgewood is an emergency call-up and Blackwood doesn’t take up a roster space. Calling up Wedgewood and putting him through waivers puts him at risk is bad.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I am shocked there isn't more backlash in here about this.

It's selfish, he misled his bosses/fans, he's following fringe anti-vax bs on instagram and is citing his own personal "health concerns".

I am horribly disappointed in this. He has a lot of making up to do in my mind.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

It's selfish, he misled his bosses/fans, he's following fringe anti-vax bs on instagram and is citing his own personal "health concerns".

Bottom 5-10 market helps Mack with that and I obviously don’t mean that as a massive slight. If this was Toronto or Montreal, it’d be back story news for weeks where the starting goalie would get questioned in those hockey hot beds on radio and sports talk shows. But I agree with the overall sentiment of disappointment, not sure what got into Mack’s head about this vaccine.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

There was plenty in the last few pages of the other thread. It wouldn’t shock me if he gets booed by Opening Night because this is such a hot button issue. Still, even in NJ it’s not the case where people are gonna be 100% in lockstep on this issue though.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There was plenty in the last few pages of the other thread. It wouldn’t shock me if he gets booed by Opening Night because this is such a hot button issue. Still, even in NJ it’s not the case where people are gonna be 100% in lockstep on this issue though.

Yeah, I was surprised by the lack of backlash on social media to this point as well. There was actually a lot of support for him. I would have thought he might be booed as well, but am now thinking those boos would be few enough to get drowned out. What I do think we will see are some signs and heckling at away games at NYR, NYI, Philly and pit. Minimal, but some.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York

It will be hard to “Boo” the guy when he might not be well enough to play. I love how everyone is hyper focused on Covid, when I find it equally interesting how he revealed his recent ankle surgery. He maybe using it as an excuse but it sounds like it hasn’t healed as well as he expected. We should all find out soon.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah, I was surprised by the lack of backlash on social media to this point as well. There was actually a lot of support for him. I would have thought he might be booed as well, but am now thinking those boos would be few enough to get drowned out. What I do think we will see are some signs and heckling at away games at NYR, NYI, Philly and pit. Minimal, but some.

I mean I’m sure the nastier stuff would probably be scrubbed by the people running the team’s social media outlets.

Maybe more people bought his PR/cliched answers for now, or wanted to buy it. Him being a universally popular homegrown Devil until today probably helps inasmuch as people don’t actually want to eviscerate him. Plus it doesn’t tangibly affect the team until the first time he misses games over it, there’s still a few weeks to theoretically have a grace period.

swiiscompos

Dec 9, 2018
London, UK
I wonder if Blackwood might actually just be afraid to put something related to the virus in his body after getting so ill last year. Scientifically it makes no sense, but those kind of fears can be very real!

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I guess I’ll see if Comcast follows through on dropping MSG on Friday but if they do I’m signing up for Fubo and finally cutting the cord. Live sports is the only reason I keep cable and it seems that even that isn’t reason enough with some of the options that are out there.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I guess I’ll see if Comcast follows through on dropping MSG on Friday but if they do I’m signing up for Fubo and finally cutting the cord. Live sports is the only reason I keep cable and it seems that even that isn’t reason enough with some of the options that are out there.

I recently did that and could not be happier. Fubo is fantastic, especially if sports are your thing

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
"If Blackwood has antibodies and he happened to be one of the rare cases of having a reaction to the vaccine, would you still call him selfish? Antibodies are more effective than the vaccine. As long as he has them, he is not being selfish."

And in the exceedingly rare case that Blackwood is apart of the <1% of the population who should not get vaccinated because health reasons, then I'm fine with him not getting it.

However, this clearly isn't the case based on the Devils insistence on getting him vaccinated and Blackwood's comments. The Devils would flat out tell us if Blackwood couldn't get the vaccine for health reasons. Would save us the PR nightmare.

Blackwood's reason for not getting it is simply a selfish one. Not one based on health.

did anyone think everyone in the country was going to get the vaccine? It’s a personal choice (as stupid as it is not to get it)

If you’re vaccinated, you did your part and protected yourself best you could.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
This is my same thought process too. If it's not there it might finally be time to get rid of it. I'm the only one in my house at this point really using cable and it's basically only for sports.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Ugh, brutal writeup from Dom on the Devils season preview. LMAO

Here we go again …
Another offseason, another preseason filled with rave reviews for a Devils team that did “everything right” and looks primed to take the next step toward relevancy.
This summer, the team specifically targeted players my model likely overrates and what we’re left with is a pie-in-the-sky projection for a team that finished third last in the league with a 66-point pace.
This season, the Devils are expected to earn far more points and be in contention for a playoff spot. I’ve seen this film before …

New Jersey Devils 2021-22 season preview

He hasn't updated the overall list yet, but I guess we're 20th.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
What a selfish dimwit Blackwood is. He got an absolutely horrible case of Covid and the brain dead Putz won’t get the shot. Someone has taken one too many pucks to the dome.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I don’t know whether to be relieved that Blackwood didn’t spit BS to the degree of someone like Bode Wilde, or to be even more pissed off that he’s using high minded language to hide the fact that he’s following some pretty shady people on IG that are no doubt leaning him in that direction. Piece of shit regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad