Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Jacksonville for the NFL. Oakland and Detroit for MLB. And I do not follow the NBA at all but I believe the Nets had hardcore financial troubles for a period of time. Not sure if they still do.
Oakland and Detroit were actually successful once upon a time. I’d say the Rays for baseball - it’s also a very similar situation wherein bad ownership and location issues sank what otherwise could have been a successful franchise.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Oakland and Detroit were actually successful once upon a time. I’d say the Rays for baseball - it’s also a very similar situation wherein bad ownership and location issues sank what otherwise could have been a successful franchise.
Detroit is actually fine financially. They've never really had financial issues - not in the modern era, anyway (I can't speak to the Tigers in the 60's and 70's).

It's basically the A's and Rays.

Reactions: BB79

BB79

Partially deceased
Apr 30, 2011
Coyotes unveiled their new arena:

tuxnoa9so4801.jpg

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I don't need to live in Quebec to know how passionate the fans are. The issue is THE SIZE OF THE MARKET especially with its proximity to Montreal.

Even metro Ottawa is almost double the size if QC and it is far from considered even a medium-sized market.

You conveniently ignored addressing the revenue QC would generate, which can already be ascertained by an equal-sized market in Winnipeg.

Why would I want to put a team in QC with its pre-existing ceiling of potential growth rather than try for a larger market where the potential is unknown and much greater? This new market could potentially generate double the revenues of any QC market team.

I know, I know....doesn't matter, QC is already passionate about hockey blah blah blah
Market size is irrelevant. How much is the average fan willing to spend? How passionate are they? There could be more fans in QC than Atlanta. Apples and oranges.

Reactions: Victorias

BambiKakko

Apr 30, 2021
Nothing to worry about it's all planned.
Dubas will be the the next GM of Houston/Salt Lake City muthaf***as.
I believe they already signed Mauston Atthews.

I heard it last time when I went to Illuminati convention. 100% sure

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I’m going to guess that the owners try to find another location in Arizona. Any locals want to comment on appropriate spots?

BB79

Partially deceased
Apr 30, 2011
I don't need to live in Quebec to know how passionate the fans are. The issue is THE SIZE OF THE MARKET especially with its proximity to Montreal.

Even metro Ottawa is almost double the size if QC and it is far from considered even a medium-sized market.

You conveniently ignored addressing the revenue QC would generate, which can already be ascertained by an equal-sized market in Winnipeg.

Why would I want to put a team in QC with its pre-existing ceiling of potential growth rather than try for a larger market where the potential is unknown and much greater? This new market could potentially generate double the revenues of any QC market team.

I know, I know....doesn't matter, QC is already passionate about hockey blah blah blah
You mentioned all of this without addressing the most obvious question: is there ownership willing to pay Bettman and the owners price to play? Who is wooing the NHL to come other than fans? Any serious talk between them and the league?

Montreal not wanting to share their market is also a big roadblock

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
You mentioned all of this without addressing the most obvious question: is there ownership willing to pay Bettman and the owners price to play? Who is wooing the NHL to come other than fans? Any serious talk between them and the league?

I was addressing the issues before it would even come to that.

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011

QC is way outside of Montreal's territorial rIghts area. If a team moves there, they can tell the Habs to stuff it up their toilet seat if they want to. There's nothing they can do to stop it.

Reactions: majormajor

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I’m going to guess that the owners try to find another location in Arizona. Any locals want to comment on appropriate spots?
Over half of Arizona’s population is in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area. There really isn’t another viable location in the state.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Forbes has Winnipeg's revenue at $150m a year, that's not the best but it's significantly more than Arizona or Florida and you're definitely not doubling that anywhere.

The business case for Quebec is really good at the team level. You get a guaranteed packed new building right away. It's for the league that it is less advantageous. The league is concerned with the U.S. TV contract and is more interested in creating new fans than reshuffling Canadian fans.

Reactions: Victorias

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Front runner seems to be an old shopping mall in Mesa about 6 freeway miles to the southeast of the Tempe site. The mall's been closed for some time now. Has about twice the acreage as the TED site and it privately owned by Verde Investments, of which Carvana is a main client (family connections to both companies). They had also held an option on a small portion of the TED site. Verde submitted a preliminary outline of a plan to develop the Mesa site back in February. But nothing has progressed on it since.

There's also been some talk about going back downtown to Phoenix. Although there's a lot of moving parts to it. The biggest roadblock had always been the previous owner of the Suns, and he's no longer there. But the arena did a recent $220 million renovation that isn't hockey friendly.

Also been talk about the Salt River Indian Community. The Arizona Diamondbacks have their spring training their, and there's been past talks with previous ownerships of the Coyotes going there. But putting an arena (plus entertainment district) on a Native American reservation brings with it some caveats of its own.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Should move to Portland

They have an arena.
A Hockey fervent fanbase.
Grassroots love of the game.
Underserviced market.
Pacific timezone.

Last edited:

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
Forbes has Winnipeg's revenue at $150m a year, that's not the best but it's significantly more than Arizona or Florida and you're definitely not doubling that anywhere.

The business case for Quebec is really good at the team level. You get a guaranteed packed new building right away. It's for the league that it is less advantageous. The league is concerned with the U.S. TV contract and is more interested in creating new fans than reshuffling Canadian fans.
And what do the two teams you cited have in common? They've been crappy teams for a very extended period of time (Florida's success is very new and not long enough to establish a consistent fan imvolvement)

Other non-traditionl markets who have had success are creating larger revenue streams than the hockey-mad market of Winnipeg.

If Canada suddenly had it's population distributed amongst 12 cities, no doubt you'd see 12 Canadian teams cause then there'd be too much money to be made to resist. The drawback of being a country with a small population spread out over a vast expanse.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Remember, there are probably several owners who are ok with the low revenues of Arizona. If they were to sell out a 19,000 seat arena every night, how is that going to help owners whose teams are currently 26th-31st on the revenue list? It won't, will just raise the salary cap so now those owners are paying more for players on their current revenue stream.
That happens every year regardless , other then Covid years.

Ad

Ad

Ad