Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
Sports isn't retail. They intentionally keep the number of franchises low for valuation purposes (and maybe even quality purposes).
They literally do the exact same thing in retail/fast food. It's why those small little towns can be so incredibly lucrative.

As such, they have a limited number of options and an opportunity cost when they choose one market over another.
And they rely on small markets to keep that demand high, because there isn't 32 large markets in the USA who can even support a team.

And those businesses that fo into the major markets are also the businesses that grow immensely and become national, I.e. major brands.

If the NHL was content to be a niche market, then it'd be in QC, Hamilton, Kitchener, Syracuse, Rochester etc
There's the same number of people in Quebec than Arizona, Arizona isn't a major state.

But they want to maximize revenue potential and the way to do that is become a major brand by entering major markets.

You can want to do a lot of things, at some point when the potential you feel you have isn't recognized by other people you need a little humility.

Name me the potential 16 markets for hockey.

Assuming we're talking about some future situation where American hockey culture changes in a novel way and their tv contract was so strong they weren't worried about losing money to weak markets. .

Contingent on a US-Can split and Canada having it's own business model that reflects the needs of each country/i.e. more tv contract orientated with smaller arenas.

Toronto 1,2,3 Hamilton Kitchener, Victoria London, Halifax Vancouver 1&2, Montreal 1&2, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, QC. You'd have 1 team for roughly every 3 million Canadians(assuming 48 million people in the country)

In the US it'd be San Diego-Houston-Austin-KC-Portland-Atlanta-Cleveland(SLC/whatever)

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
China at one point was offering silly money to try and attract the best players to go and play over there. Why a few decent players were happy to move to China to earn mega money, none of the actual real star talent were interested.

The whole experiment ended in disaster, with most of the players hating it and wanting to leave.
Alright. I'ma gonna qualify it rom now on with "the players will follow the money- provided it's one of the greatest countries in the world to leave in, such as the USA and Canada"

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
They literally do the exact same thing in retail/fast food. It's why those small little towns can be so incredibly lucrative.
Yhey restrict the number of franchise locations within a city, they don't necessarily restrict franchise locations amongst cities like sports leagues do.
And they rely on small markets to keep that demand high, because there isn't 32 large markets in the USA who can even support a team.
Large is relative. Going by my horrible memory, I believe there are 25ish markets in the U.S. with a population of 2 million, there are 3 in Canada.
There's the same number of people in Quebec than Arizona, Arizona isn't a major state.
But the Phoenix metro area has over 4 million of those people.
You can want to do a lot of things, at some point when the potential you feel you have isn't recognized by other people you need a little humility.
True, but you don't know if you don't try and then there's the nagging question of ar what point do you throw your hands up in the air and say "Screw it!"

Two solid markets today lost their teams previously- San Jose and Denver. On the flip side, the Montreal Canadiens almost moved to Cleveland in the 1930s.
Assuming we're talking about some future situation where American hockey culture changes in a novel way and their tv contract was so strong they weren't worried about losing money to weak markets. .

Contingent on a US-Can split and Canada having it's own business model that reflects the needs of each country/i.e. more tv contract orientated with smaller arenas.

Toronto 1,2,3 Hamilton Kitchener, Victoria London, Halifax Vancouver 1&2, Montreal 1&2, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, QC. You'd have 1 team for roughly every 3 million Canadians(assuming 48 million people in the country)

In the US it'd be San Diego-Houston-Austin-KC-Portland-Atlanta-Cleveland(SLC/whatever)
If that could happen, I'd be in heaven. I notice you left out Ottawa though?? OK.lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad