Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
0 impact. Apparently when they were trying to appeal to voters during door-to-door canvassing, the Coyotes weren't even one of the first 5 things they mentioned--the messaging was all around the investment and event space, not a hockey team. Think they probably had research showing that all the old folks who ultimately doomed the project really don't give a damn about a hockey team, so telling them "guess what they won the draft lottery and can select the best prospect since McDavid" would mean approximately nothing to those people.
Interesting but I mean, it's a fair marketing strategy if you look at it. Coyotes aren't super popular and would only use the arena 41 days of the year which means you need to figure out what to do with the other 324. Is that economic development TRULY needed? I don't know. I've been to a couple NFL, MLB, and NHL games in Phoenix and I didn't see a major need for a new arena complex. I never quite understood what the aversion to the current infrastructure was but whatever.

SLC would be a prime location at the moment for the team IMHO. Adding another team in the rocky mountain region could bring a wealth of new fans. or at least give them the "home team" they've been after.

They could've rigged the draft for the next 5 years & it doesn't move the needle. The voters couldn't care less about hockey. People voted no because they heard "tax breaks for Billionaires" & it pissed them off. The team did a terrible job of getting their own message out there.
That's your typical "low information voter" for you though.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If I were the owner of the Coyotes, I'd call a presser and then tap the mic a few times and be like "Uh, hello? Is this thing on?"

And then proceed to tell Tempe what Ron Burgandy told San Diego to do. And then take the mic off the podium and make a big show over dropping it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Interesting but I mean, it's a fair marketing strategy if you look at it. Coyotes aren't super popular and would only use the arena 41 days of the year which means you need to figure out what to do with the other 324. Is that economic development TRULY needed? I don't know. I've been to a couple NFL, MLB, and NHL games in Phoenix and I didn't see a major need for a new arena complex. I never quite understood what the aversion to the current infrastructure was but whatever.

That's your typical "low information voter" for you though.
People are typically not going to go read several pages of that pros and cons of the issues. Needs to be succinct and to the point. No matter what the Coyotes needed to pound the message that it was a privately funded venture. No tax payer money involved.
If there are tax breaks, figure out how to explain the benefits to the city from the team getting those.

Honestly, the prior discussions with ASU to jointly build a new arena to house the Coyotes and ASU basketball probably make more sense given the age of the ASU building. But, that didn't materialize.
Honestly, the Coyotes arena has always seemed like a real estate transaction over getting them a new arena. That they need the Entertainment District to make it work since they are competing with PHX and Glendale for events. Probably means the city as a whole doesn't truly need another arena.

Timing sucks for the Coyotes with Sarver being ousted after the Footprint Arena gets renovated. If the lease was 35 years not 30 and due up in 2027, then they'd only just now either be renovating it or knocking it down to build new while the Suns went somewhere else to play, either at Glendale or one of the college campuses at Arizona or ASU. Would need new Suns owner to buy the Coyotes since from a pure business POV, no way the Suns would give up a % of their arena management rights to the Coyotes out of the goodness of their heart.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
....with a population of 850,000 and in the same market sphere of the Canadiens.

And having a team in QC doesn't grow the fanbase; Canadians are hockey fans already, it's ubiquitous throughout the country and deeply ingrained in the culture (for now at least, this may change with having to rely on immigration for population growth).

Winnipeg is already one of the lowest revenue generating teams, given the same size of their markets, Quebec would just become another low revenue-generating team. Doesn't exactly add much to HRR.
Doesn't matter. The market already has fans and passion and a willing to spend on the sport. It's ready made.

Qurpiz

Nudes in profile
Nov 5, 2006
The first signs of the Sun swallowing the Earth will start to emerge, and the same week the NHL will release a statement of their continued commitment to the sponsors, community and the fans in Arizona

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
For what it's worth, I've hoped that the Coyotes stick in Arizona and make it work.
That hasn't looked too likely for some time and this is just the final nail in the proverbial coffin (and for the record, I'd have voted "no", as well).
Not sure where they could/should move, but it is inevitable now. Find a city of suckers and hope the team finds success before the novelty wears off.

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
You are. I've lived in QC and know how strong the market is.
I don't need to live in Quebec to know how passionate the fans are. The issue is THE SIZE OF THE MARKET especially with its proximity to Montreal.

Even metro Ottawa is almost double the size if QC and it is far from considered even a medium-sized market.

You conveniently ignored addressing the revenue QC would generate, which can already be ascertained by an equal-sized market in Winnipeg.

Why would I want to put a team in QC with its pre-existing ceiling of potential growth rather than try for a larger market where the potential is unknown and much greater? This new market could potentially generate double the revenues of any QC market team.

I know, I know....doesn't matter, QC is already passionate about hockey blah blah blah

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It is a real Tweet from their real account. It is either real or an intern is about to get fired (or the Coyotes bounced their check and the intern is going scorched earth on their way out).
I mean considering they got kicked out of Glendale because of missing rents this might not be far fetched lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
So why would going to even smaller markets be successful in your mind? What small market American city do you think has greater hockey interest than Houston, which has already proven historically that it can support hockey teams?

Maybe Indianapolis. A good sport town. But I'm not just talking America, I was taling about Canada as well. Give me a team in Quebec, another team in Toronto, one in Hamilton, even Sasakatoon and Halifax where buildings are gonna be filled every night with hockey mad people that are gonna buy a gazillion of merchs. Over a big city where where the interest is gonna be timid at best. Atlanta was gonna be what Houston is now and they left. Cause it doesn't make any sense.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Is there an NFL, NBA, or MLB equivalent to the Coyotes? A franchise that has always been a financial struggle?
Jacksonville for the NFL. Oakland and Detroit for MLB. And I do not follow the NBA at all but I believe the Nets had hardcore financial troubles for a period of time. Not sure if they still do.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Maybe Indianapolis. A good sport town. But I'm not just talking America, I was taling about Canada as well. Give me a team in Quebec, another team in Toronto, one in Hamilton, even Sasakatoon and Halifax where buildings are gonna be filled every night with hockey mad people that are gonna buy a gazillion of merchs. Over a big city where where the interest is gonna be timid at best. Atlanta was gonna be what Houston is now and they left. Cause it doesn't make any sense.
Atlanta never made sense, I agree, but Houston successfully supported two versions of the Aeros. I don’t see why hockey wouldn’t work there now.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad