Coyotes Tempe arena project rejected by public referendum - will remain at Mullett Arena for 2023-24

PredsfanJC

Feb 13, 2021
East Cobb, GA
...how can ANYONE see Atlanta, who has failed TWICE as a destination for an Expansion franchise, as a vialbe option??...I mean, besides Buttman, who would move them to Boise, Idaho before a Canadian Market...

The ignorance about the Thrashers knows no bounds around here. I get so f***ing sick of reading about it. I get even more sick of having to explain it to morons over and over again. The Thrashers made the playoffs once in ten years, the last ownership group did not want the team and ran them into the ground. Even then, Atlanta's attendance never got as bad as cities like Boston, Pittsburgh, and Chicago at their bottoms.

Yeah, once in ten f***ing seasons they made the playoffs. The Thrashers never had their ass wiped over and over again like the Coyotes, yet here we are once again.

A team with a legit ownership group with an arena in the right location will be top ten in this league. Get the f*** out here with this f***ing bullshit ignorance.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
The ignorance about the Thrashers knows no bounds around here. I get so f***ing sick of reading about it. I get even more sick of having to explain it to morons over and over again. The Thrashers made the playoffs once in ten years, the last ownership group did not want the team and ran them into the ground. Even then, Atlanta's attendance never got as bad as cities like Boston, Pittsburgh, and Chicago at their bottoms.

Yeah, once in ten f***ing seasons they made the playoffs. The Thrashers never had their ass wiped over and over again like the Coyotes, yet here we are once again.

A team with a legit ownership group with an arena in the right location will be top ten in this league. Get the f*** out here with this f***ing bullshit ignorance.
animelol1ts4ap.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They'll still be in Mullet 2 years from now

That's why I hate that they won't be moving. I'd prefer a solution that involved the Coyotes getting an arena in Arizona, but I've seen nothing that makes me think that will happen.

My guess is that they keep playing in Mullet Arena with teasing new ideas that will give them a new arena, only for all of those ideas to fail and them just continuing to play in Mullet Arena until they're kicked out of it.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
That's why I hate that they won't be moving. I'd prefer a solution that involved the Coyotes getting an arena in Arizona, but I've seen nothing that makes me think that will happen.

My guess is that they keep playing in Mullet Arena with teasing new ideas that will give them a new arena, only for all of those ideas to fail and them just continuing to play in Mullet Arena until they're kicked out of it.
Probably. Either that or a move will happen but of course that takes time to get everything together so regardless if they move or not they will be at their crummy tiny arena no matter what for the next few years at least. lol

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I think Kansas City has one
I was hoping they would move to Quebec, so that every time they score at home, I can giggle at the fact they are celebrating a Coyote But lol

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The NHL has met with Fertitta Rockets owner and two things are that the NHL did not sense a great passion from him for owning the team, more like it was for him to make some more money than anything else, the NHL also did not like the amount Fertitta is willing to pay, they want more, this info is from 32 thoughts podcast 32 thoughts

The owner of the Jazz Ryan Smith does want an NHL team and seems more passionate about them than Houston, but his building in it's current state is not really ready or a good option for the NHL as it's only 14,000 for hockey right now and the viewing would not be good for fans, the NHL would need a guarantee that the building will be renovated to better fit hockey.

I'm just ending this right now, they are not going to Quebec City for at least a few reasons, first they are in the East, and the NHL is going to try and stay in the Central division first and foremost, every team currently in the East is not moving to the West, they have no interest in that, so there will not be a relignment.

Atlanta's name is out there, but again for the same reason as Quebec they are in the East, so they are not looking at them.

For some reason Friedman has mentioned Sacramento, though he never said why or anything to back it up, as in what is the owner like, so I'm not sure there is much here, they would be another Pacific team too so the NHL would have to move Vegas into the central if this was to happen.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Oklahoma City has a very long and deep hockey history. Like Houston, it's amazing to see the list of future NHL stars that played there for a year or two, especially in the 60s and 70s.. They always had great fan support. Leafs even played an Exhibition game there in the 70s. Too bad the NHL didn't get in there before the NBA, but they have oil money in the state and the rivalries with Texas teams of any city would be legendary.

On the other hand Kansas and Kansas City seem (from my travels at least) to be the least hockey interested place in the US. I have no idea why. Very different from Texas, where a LOT of people are very open to hockey, almost like it's football's little cousin. I think that applies for Oklahoma too. But not Kansas.

Oklahoma City makes some sense - it is partially in Canadian County after all.

BB79

Partially deceased
Apr 30, 2011
I think he'd trade it for Houston or Atlanta if workable, as both are larger TV markets.
True but the workable part is the hardest part.

If Houston was to work something out for an expansion team my hope is someone from Quebec steps up and brings back the Nords. I also hate that the Atlantic division streches from Montreal to Miami. Put Quebec in the Atlantic division and move Columbus to the Atlantic like Detroit is. Move both Florida and Tampa to the Metropolitan. Houston goes to the central division to replace Arizona. Makes a hell of a lot more sense to me

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
On the other hand Kansas and Kansas City seem (from my travels at least) to be the least hockey interested place in the US. I have no idea why. Very different from Texas, where a LOT of people are very open to hockey, almost like it's football's little cousin. I think that applies for Oklahoma too. But not Kansas.
For starters, Kansas City is in Missouri with part of the metro area being in Kansas. The arena in which any team would play in Kansas City would be in downtown and it is currently existing. There's some appetite for hockey there as there is an ECHL team. Additionally, the Blues have been playing a preseason game there for the past year or 2.

The issues with KC would be if any ownership group based there would be interest in operating a team and if the area as a whole has enough interest to support a NHL team.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Wasn't the reason the Yotes didn't share the stadium with the Sun's the Sun's owner?

Didn't he sell the team or is looking to?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Regarding Bill Daly's statement on the Coyotes in 23-24, I would encourage everyone to read it again. It is very carefully worded, and allows for tons of wiggle room. Keep in mind that up until 24 hours before the move was announced, the NHL was solemnly swearing that the Thrashers were staying in Atlanta. Daly's statement is designed to buy the league some time - I'll promise you that behind the scenes they are furiously mapping out some exit strategies for a move over the next few weeks...

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
Over the years, i never understood Bettmans`s obsession to keep team in Arizona, where even locals dont care about the team. Does Dracula finally admit this failure and move on to other markets?

Reactions: hacksaw7

Predation

Dec 18, 2011
I feel bad for Yotes fans, because I’ve been there as a fan. I can’t wait for them to be moved to Atlanta.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think this is more of a signaling exercise. To show that they havn't given up. If they said " we are screwed, the team has to move" they wont have bargaining power.
Maybe the league wants to go to Huston and knows it’s in for a struggle with Meurello selling? The extra year gives the league time to broker a deal?

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I’ve heard, not read, from people who’ve really looked into this that Tempe residents chose not to pay toward cleanup (neighborhood of 20 mil), even though the projected outlook over 10 years was around 350 million
Again I’ve only heard this, but it’s mind boggling if true.
imagepng_0.png

Last edited:

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
I feel bad for Yotes fans, because I’ve been there as a fan. I can’t wait for them to be moved to Atlanta.

They're not moving to twice failed Atlanta. They're not even clamoring for a team

I’ve heard, not read, from people who’ve really looked into this that Tempe residents chose not to pay toward cleanup (neighborhood of 20 mil), even though the projected outlook over 10 years was around 350 million
View attachment 709815

They didnt like what was proposed and don't want a hockey team. They'll develop the area in some other way. This was not something the people wanted

View attachment 709815

They didnt like what was proposed and don't want a hockey team. They'll develop the area in some other way. This was not something the people wanted

Reactions: stealth1

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Regarding Bill Daly's statement on the Coyotes in 23-24, I would encourage everyone to read it again. It is very carefully worded, and allows for tons of wiggle room. Keep in mind that up until 24 hours before the move was announced, the NHL was solemnly swearing that the Thrashers were staying in Atlanta. Daly's statement is designed to buy the league some time - I'll promise you that behind the scenes they are furiously mapping out some exit strategies for a move over the next few weeks...
Agreed. Even if they have a plan B for a site in Pheonix, it would take up another year to get through the red tape. Then after that it would take another 2-3 years to build. You're looking at 4-5 years before they get a new building. I can't see the NHLPA or other owners being ok with them playing in a college rink that long

Reactions: hacksaw7

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Shitting on different fanbases and cities is so dumb. That some would rather take potshots at invested fans instead of idiot, corrupt, incompetent billionaires is so weird to me. The entire Glendale fiasco was so rich guys could become even richer and a pliant local government willing to help make it happen, but some would rather blame people for not coming out in droves to support that kind of incompetence and corruption? Every step of the way failures in Arizona have had a lot more to do with rich people and governments trying to find a way to cash in on a grift than a lack of fan investment. That's basically the story of pro sports failures in countless markets. A house of cards tumbles down and fans are the ones left without their team.

Obviously things are about to be much different in Ottawa, but for years do you think people stopped loving hockey somewhere between Toronto and Montreal, or did fans there decide that spending half an evening in traffic to hand over money to a carnival barking idiot with no commitment to returning the investment was a waste of their time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad