Rumor: Coyotes among many teams interested in Jacob Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
What forced Chevy to make the Kane trade?

Kane said that he requested a trade every year so what was it that forced his hand at that moment? I guess the track suit thing?

Also, if he was "forced", then he should receive additional kudos for pulling off a great trade under immense pressure.

Tracksuit incident kinda forced it. He clearly became too toxic to have on the team. He was also injured for the rest of the season and wouldn't help the playoff run. Also, putting aside how much of a ******* he might be, he's still the best hockey player in that deal. And he would contribute more to the team than Stafford, Lemuiex, and Roslovic this upcoming season, and this past season.

He got a lot for being forced to make a trade. What I'm saying is that he should do it more. Get some players that help the on ice product, instead of prospects that maybe make the team.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It shows a lack of talent evaluation. The kids weren't ready. With all the injuries last year, Stempniak would've had a bigger role. And yah, let's get the kids ice time with Thor and Peluso, that'll help them out.

This would be the same Lee Stempniak that stunk the joint out as a Leaf?

If you're counting on that guy for anything, you really can't evaluate talent. He might produce when you're not expecting it, but he's very inconsistent.

I wouldn't blame anyone for passing on him.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
An un-named, unemployed former hockey exec said its the worst trade he's ever seen. Ok

Chayka had an extra 2nd round pick which he leveraged to move up and get Chychrun. He also moved Vitale's LTIR contract that cost AZ real $$$ and took on zero real $$$ in return.

Time will tell whether it proves to be a good deal or not. But as a Coyote fan I love the move.

If the Jets didn't need to resign Trouba and Scheifele I would have wanted them to make this move. Would prefer it much more than the move that got us Stanley

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
An un-named, unemployed former hockey exec said its the worst trade he's ever seen. Ok

Chayka had an extra 2nd round pick which he leveraged to move up and get Chychrun. He also moved Vitale's LTIR contract that cost AZ real $$$ and took on zero real $$$ in return.

Time will tell whether it proves to be a good deal or not. But as a Coyote fan I love the move.

You're quite right: it is far too soon to evaluate that trade.

I wish the Leafs had been able to add Chychrun to their talent pool. Another prospect, that's all, but one with considerable promise.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
This would be the same Lee Stempniak that stunk the joint out as a Leaf?

If you're counting on that guy for anything, you really can't evaluate talent. He might produce when you're not expecting it, but he's very inconsistent.

I wouldn't blame anyone for passing on him.

Heck, if he stinks put him on the Moose, they certainly needed help this year.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
As a $1MM AHL/NHL tweener he would be fine.

As a player you're counting on -- not at all.

Did you miss something I said? He's better than Thorburn and Peluso. They didn't resign Stempniak, and Thorburn and Peluso are still on the team. See the problem now?

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Did you miss something I said? He's better than Thorburn and Peluso. They didn't resign Stempniak, and Thorburn and Peluso are still on the team. See the problem now?

No. Not really.

The Winnipeg Jets are on the rise and are interested in developing from within.

Lee Stempniak just doesn't fit within their strategic objectives, no matter what other vets they do or don't have.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Tracksuit incident kinda forced it. He clearly became too toxic to have on the team. He was also injured for the rest of the season and wouldn't help the playoff run. Also, putting aside how much of a ******* he might be, he's still the best hockey player in that deal. And he would contribute more to the team than Stafford, Lemuiex, and Roslovic this upcoming season, and this past season.

He got a lot for being forced to make a trade. What I'm saying is that he should do it more. Get some players that help the on ice product, instead of prospects that maybe make the team.

So you want him make a trade just for the sake of making a trade? Trades are more difficult to make nowadays. Add to that you need a trade partner wanting to make a trade also. I'm not really sure what your point is?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If the Jets didn't need to resign Trouba and Scheifele I would have wanted them to make this move. Would prefer it much more than the move that got us Stanley

I hated the move up for Stanley, but can't see how the Yotes' maneuver would have been a good idea, especially for the Jets.

Jets traded a 2nd round pick in exchange for a 3rd and moving up 4 spots in the 1st round.

Yotes traded a 2nd round pick and $7.5M in cap space to move up 4 spots in the 1st round.

If the Jets had acquired $7.5M in cap salary they wouldn't have been able to even consider signing both Scheifele and Trouba. That would have been a terrible trade.

By the way, it's quite likely that these two trades are intertwined. It seems that when the Red Wings traded back to #20, they were targeting Stanley, or at least the Jets likely thought so. That gave Chevy the chance to move up 4 spots to take Stanley before the Wings. I'm sure that will never be confirmed, but circumstantial evidence makes it plausible. I think both teams valued Stanley, perhaps more than a lot of other teams, for whatever reason.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

The problem is that Peluso and Thorburn are mostly on the roster for "toughness", and will play a bottom end role with the team now that they have very good forward depth. Stempniak did well in a top-6 role, with plenty of PP time, but where would you play him in the Jets line-up now?

Short-term trades are not what should interest the Jets. They traded Kane, Bogo and Ladd to build up their organization with good young players, recognizing that they needed to do this rather than trying to make short-term decisions.

Bringing it back to Trouba, I think the Jets might trade him for good futures, but I think they are now much more interested in trading for young players who can contribute to a winning team in the next season or two.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No. Not really.

The Winnipeg Jets are on the rise and are interested in developing from within.

Lee Stempniak just doesn't fit within their strategic objectives, no matter what other vets they do or don't have.

Devils traded him, and Bruins let him walk. Signed by the Hurricanes as Expansion Draft fodder. Jets did the same with Matthias, but for about $400k per year cheaper than Stempniak. Guess which player had a higher points/60 (5v5) last season?

Last edited:

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
I hated the move up for Stanley, but can't see how the Yotes' maneuver would have been a good idea, especially for the Jets.

Jets traded a 2nd round pick in exchange for a 3rd and moving up 4 spots in the 1st round.

Yotes traded a 2nd round pick and $7.5M in cap space to move up 4 spots in the 1st round.

If the Jets had acquired $7.5M in cap salary they wouldn't have been able to even consider signing both Scheifele and Trouba. That would have been a terrible trade.

By the way, it's quite likely that these two trades are intertwined. It seems that when the Red Wings traded back to #20, they were targeting Stanley, or at least the Jets likely thought so. That gave Chevy the chance to move up 4 spots to take Stanley before the Wings. I'm sure that will never be confirmed, but circumstantial evidence makes it plausible. I think both teams valued Stanley, perhaps more than a lot of other teams, for whatever reason.

$7.5M in cap space for one season shouldn't be that big of a deal for the Coyotes. They might make the playoffs this year. Yes, it would've been really bad deal for the Jets, but the Coyotes didn't have two major RFA's to sign.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Devils traded him, and Bruins let him walk. Signed by the Hurricanes as Expansion Draft fodder. Jets did the same with Matthias, but for about $400k per year cheaper than Stempniak. Guess which player had a higher points/60 (5v5) last season?

You've peaked my interest. Who is this?

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

To be fair, there is quite a bit of a difference in value from pick 36 to pick 53. I agree with everything else you have said though

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

We are in a spot now where we can afford to pay the price for official talent.

That's a new commodity though.

We haven't been in this spot until just recently.

Sure he could have made some trades and we could have possibly limped into the playoffs and had a second early round exit but he did not go that route.

Going his route has put us in a spot where we have one of the best prospect pools in the league.

Why in the world would we have given up a Petan, Morrissey, Lowry just to limp in?

I think that he saw us for what we were. A team with valuable veterans and absolutely NOTHING prospect wise. Seriously. Look at the prospect list of the team that came here. It's absolutely AWFUL. So we went from awful to one of the best. You cannot ignore that.

"This just in. Team who's mentality is to build through the draft does not have a history of trading away prospects and picks. More at 11."

From DAY 1 they said that this is the approach they are going to take.

Now.....going forward. We actually have a strong glut of talent. We will have a new goaltender that actually looks promising. We have a #1 and #2 C. We have a very solid defensive group (outside of a still missing Top 4 LD). To top it off, we have talent on the wings.

We're actually primed to do something soon. That's through design.

Now.....let me ask you this....which players should we have removed in order to limp into the playoffs and extra time?

That's what Atlanta did....look how that worked out for them.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
What forced Chevy to make the Kane trade?

Kane said that he requested a trade every year so what was it that forced his hand at that moment? I guess the track suit thing?

Also, if he was "forced", then he should receive additional kudos for pulling off a great trade under immense pressure.

Kanes a good guy to bring up in reference to how some Jets fans think they have no urgency/need to move Trouba at all.

Unlike Kane, Chevy can't just ignore the request and still have someone playing. If Trouba refuses to sign the Jets are going to have to move him. Or else waste a valuable asset that isn't contributing to their team.

And like what was brought up earlier, in cases like that players aren't typically moved for an equal/upgrade.

It's for a downgrade + something, I think Jets fans should start lowering their expectations on a return and start thinking about what would be acceptable in a realistic trade.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
The difference being the despite Kane wanting out he still signed a 5 year contract in mid-September. It is not in the players best interests to hold out, players can easily lose more money by not getting paid than they gain in overall contract value. I can't see a young player like Trouba who has such small career earnings sitting out and missing out on some of his prime money earning years.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
It's for a downgrade + something, I think Jets fans should start lowering their expectations on a return and start thinking about what would be acceptable in a realistic trade.

Who voted you as the arbiter of how Winnipeg fans should view the situation? Trouba has never reportedly been offered in trade to anyone. If he was up for auction, the offers would probably surprise you, given that NHL-proven, 22 y/o, physical, sizable, RHDs' that can skate and possess tons of upside rarely are available in trade.

Considering that the Jets essentially hold all of the cards leverage-wise, forgive me if I don't take your advice.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Kanes a good guy to bring up in reference to how some Jets fans think they have no urgency/need to move Trouba at all.

Unlike Kane, Chevy can't just ignore the request and still have someone playing. If Trouba refuses to sign the Jets are going to have to move him. Or else waste a valuable asset that isn't contributing to their team.

And like what was brought up earlier, in cases like that players aren't typically moved for an equal/upgrade.

And unlike Kane, Trouba won't be getting paid.

It's an apples and oranges situation.

We keep getting told to "lower our expectations" yet there's no reason to yet.

He hasn't requested a trade publicly.

He hasn't said anything about not wanting to play in Winnipeg.

He hasn't said.....anything.

So why are we lowing our expectations because of your hypotheticals?

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Who voted you as the arbiter of how Winnipeg fans should view the situation?

The King.

Trouba has never reportedly been offered in trade to anyone. If he was up for auction, the offers would probably surprise you, given that NHL-proven, 22 y/o, physical, sizable, RHDs' that can skate and possess tons of upside rarely are available in trade.

Considering that the Jets essentially hold all of the cards leverage-wise, forgive me if I don't take your advice.

It has been reported many times that Trouba is available, is Winnipeg actively shopping him? Who knows. Are they taking calls? Definetly. And there has been quite a few young dmen traded recently, Larsson, Jones, Hamilton. First two were moved in a lot better situation than Trouba would be, they had deals.

And again, they don't hold all the cards. To keep a player like Trouba around but not playing is a bad decision for any team. There comes a point, which is soon, where he;s either going to be resigned or traded.

And unlike Kane, Trouba won't be getting paid.

It's an apples and oranges situation.

We keep getting told to "lower our expectations" yet there's no reason to yet.

He hasn't requested a trade publicly.

He hasn't said anything about not wanting to play in Winnipeg.

He hasn't said.....anything.

So why are we lowing our expectations because of your hypotheticals?

I never said Kane is like Trouba, I said the opposite. You can ignore trade requests from someone who is playing (Kane) but you can;t from one who isn't. Well I guess you could, but it would be stupid...

And I'm saying to lower your expectations because holdouts very rarely get traded for someone equal that fills a need. No one is going to trade a solid under contract player for one is holding out.

Typically holdouts/disgruntled players are moved multiple pieces, and it's been rumored the Jets would seek a return like Staal recieved a few years ago. Roster player+prospect+pick.

And you have to assume if a trade is being made it is because a deal is impossible. It's option #2 for the Jets, it isn't ideal. And you won't be getting an ideal return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad