Rumor: Coyotes among many teams interested in Jacob Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whileee

May 29, 2010
"Hey Chevy, would you like a Lee Stempniak for ~1 million dollars?"

"Nah, we got Thorburn and Peluso as our depth. I think we're set for the playoffs :yo:."

*Lee Stempniak proceeds to score 51 points*

....and there's the inevitable Stempniak reference, reminding us about how all the other GMs lined up to give him a contract in free agency.

You missed the part where Chevy said he wanted to give young players more ice time, and how Stemp said he wanted a bigger role on a team.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
You're praising Chayka for selling cap space because his owners can't afford a competitive roster? They'll have a roster with $15-20 million less salary than the rest of the teams in their division. He'll have plenty of time for vacation. Nill did well with the Seguin trade under special circumstances. His drafting has been questionable (passed over Larkin and Connor for Honka and Gurianov). The Jets are built to he a consistent playoff contender, starting as early as this season.

not only that but and ex hockey executive when the draft was on went out of his way to say that was the worst trade he has seen. the datsyuk trade. basically Detroit gave nothing up to get rid of cap dump. wish jets had him.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
You're praising Chayka for selling cap space because his owners can't afford a competitive roster? They'll have a roster with $15-20 million less salary than the rest of the teams in their division. He'll have plenty of time for vacation. Nill did well with the Seguin trade under special circumstances. His drafting has been questionable (passed over Larkin and Connor for Honka and Gurianov). The Jets are built to he a consistent playoff contender, starting as early as this season.

Chyka overpaid a little to move up and get Chychrun. Chevy overpaid a lot to get Stanley. Chyka went out and got a top 4 LHD for his team. Chevy got Brian Strait. Chyka went out and got the prospect defenseman with the highest offensive upside for only a second round pick (I know Deangelo has his "attitude issues", but I love him).

Lots of teams passed on Larkin and Connor. Honka is still a solid defensive prospect, and Gurianov looks really bad right now. But that just shows your mindset as a Jet fan. Jim Nill got Patrick Sharp for pennies. And the team he built was only at the top of the Western Conference last year. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chyka overpaid a little to move up and get Chychrun. Chevy overpaid a lot to get Stanley. Chyka went out and got a top 4 LHD for his team. Chevy got Brian Strait. Chyka went out and got the prospect defenseman with the highest offensive upside for only a second round pick (I know Deangelo has his "attitude issues", but I love him).

Lots of teams passed on Larkin and Connor. Honka is still a solid defensive prospect, and Gurianov looks really bad right now. But that just shows your mindset as a Jet fan. Jim Nill got Patrick Sharp for pennies. And the team he built was only at the top of the Western Conference last year. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Get back to us in a year or two about the Jets roster. It's been put together around a young core drafted in the past five years. The Stars are put together for last season and this season. Still, you have to wonder about their $10 million bottom of the barrel goaltending.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
....and there's the inevitable Stempniak reference, reminding us about how all the other GMs lined up to give him a contract in free agency.

You missed the part where Chevy said he wanted to give young players more ice time, and how Stemp said he wanted a bigger role on a team.

It shows a lack of talent evaluation. The kids weren't ready. With all the injuries last year, Stempniak would've had a bigger role. And yah, let's get the kids ice time with Thor and Peluso, that'll help them out.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Get back to us in a year or two about the Jets roster. It's been put together around a young core drafted in the past five years. The Stars are put together for last season and this season. Still, you have to wonder about their $10 million bottom of the barrel goaltending.

I will say with Chevy, the worst contract to complain about is.... maybe Stuart? He hasn't anchored the team. I'd probably attribute it to True North not wanting to spend money, but I'll give Chevy some credit on that front.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It shows a lack of talent evaluation. The kids weren't ready. With all the injuries last year, Stempniak would've had a bigger role. And yah, let's get the kids ice time with Thor and Peluso, that'll help them out.

Stemp is just a small footnote in the Jets history (and the history of a bunch of other teams). The Devils didn't even keep him, for crying out loud. Maurice loves his helmet punchers, it's true. I still like the push with youth. If Stemp had been on the team we wouldn't have seen Armia's emergence, or perhaps Dano's.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I will say with Chevy, the worst contract to complain about is.... maybe Stuart? He hasn't anchored the team. I'd probably attribute it to True North not wanting to spend money, but I'll give Chevy some credit on that front.

had no idea what you were rambling about till I saw that you are from Atlanta.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

I drive truck down in the states. that's a long drive from Atlanta to dallas to watch some hockey.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Is this a trade thread or evaluation of Chevy thread? I have very different opinion on both.

Can we get back on Subject

Whileee

May 29, 2010
had no idea what you were rambling about till I saw that you are from Atlanta.

Chevy's spent 5 years building a prospect pool and roster after being left with dregs in the system from Atlanta. Their best prospects in 2011 (when Chevy took over) were Postma, Chiarot and Telegin. Seriously. Chevy's going to be patient with the Trouba situation, just as he has been with other big decisions. It's worked pretty well for the Jets so far.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Stemp is just a small footnote in the Jets history (and the history of a bunch of other teams). The Devils didn't even keep him, for crying out loud. Maurice loves his helmet punchers, it's true. I still like the push with youth. If Stemp had been on the team we wouldn't have seen Armia's emergence, or perhaps Dano's.

Dano might not be on the team, because we might have been in the playoff race....

And the Devils were out of the race too, that's why they moved Stempniak. The push with youth is great. The forward depth is crazy. Armia was one of the best prospects in the game a couple of years ago, and might not even make our 3rd line. I just don't want to see Armia playing on the fourth line with guys like Thorburn and Peluso anymore. Especially now that there are sooooooooo many better options in the system.

But to what I was saying, Nill transformed that team almost overnight. Coyotes are gonna be there soon. What is the rebuild for the Jets now, year 6? And the roster isn't too much different than it was last year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Is this a trade thread or evaluation of Chevy thread? I have very different opinion on both.

Can we get back on Subject

Good point. It was a trade thread. Then it became a Chevy-bashing thread, because that seems to be a fashionable topic for some.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Dano might not be on the team, because we might have been in the playoff race....

And the Devils were out of the race too, that's why they moved Stempniak. The push with youth is great. The forward depth is crazy. Armia was one of the best prospects in the game a couple of years ago, and might not even make our 3rd line. I just don't want to see Armia playing on the fourth line with guys like Thorburn and Peluso anymore. Especially now that there are sooooooooo many better options in the system.

But to what I was saying, Nill transformed that team almost overnight. Coyotes are gonna be there soon. What is the rebuild for the Jets now, year 6? And the roster isn't too much different than it was last year.

Going with youth and missing the playoffs worked out okay for the Jets, I would say.

The Seguin trade was a beauty, though I would point out that the two main players that Nill gave up in that deal combined for 55 goals and 113 points last season.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Leafs call and offer Gardiner for Trouba (signed to a 6x5.5ish contract)

Do the Jets do it?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
LOL, says the fan of a team that has only made one significant trade, but only when the GM was forced to do so

What forced Chevy to make the Kane trade?

Kane said that he requested a trade every year so what was it that forced his hand at that moment? I guess the track suit thing?

Also, if he was "forced", then he should receive additional kudos for pulling off a great trade under immense pressure.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
not only that but and ex hockey executive when the draft was on went out of his way to say that was the worst trade he has seen. the datsyuk trade. basically Detroit gave nothing up to get rid of cap dump. wish jets had him.
An un-named, unemployed former hockey exec said its the worst trade he's ever seen. Ok

Chayka had an extra 2nd round pick which he leveraged to move up and get Chychrun. He also moved Vitale's LTIR contract that cost AZ real $$$ and took on zero real $$$ in return.

Time will tell whether it proves to be a good deal or not. But as a Coyote fan I love the move.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
An un-named, unemployed former hockey exec said its the worst trade he's ever seen. Ok

Chayka had an extra 2nd round pick which he leveraged to move up and get Chychrun. He also moved Vitale's LTIR contract that cost AZ real $$$ and took on zero real $$$ in return.

Time will tell whether it proves to be a good deal or not. But as a Coyote fan I love the move.

I think the point is that Chayka didn't actually get very much in return for selling $7.5M in cap space and dumping $1M in actual salary. The Red Wings were thrilled with the trade because they got an extra 2nd round pick for sliding down 4 spots in the middle of the 1st round, and were also able to dump $7.5M in cap space. In essence, Chayka sold that cap space for very little in return. That cap space allowed the Wings to sign Nielsen as a UFA.

For the Yotes, suppose they could have kept pick #20 (Cholowski or Rubtsov, etc.), #53 (Hronek or Grundstrom) and signed Frans Nielsen with their cap space. That might have been better than Chychrun, when all is said in done. In any case, it doesn't make the move seem like such a home run to me, unless the goal is to keep the actual salary expenditure as low as possible, which doesn't actually do anything to improve the team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad