Rumor: Coyotes among many teams interested in Jacob Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Just because he played a few games on the right side last year, doesn't mean he wants to do it full time. He could sit out because that can force a trade. He won't have to sit out a year, just camp and maybe the start of the season. That should be enough for Chevy to know he doesn't want to be there. We don't know what the difference is in contracts offered versus his demands. Murphy just got 6 years of term from the Coyotes as an example. Trouba might want the same term, 6 mill+ and a commitment to play him on the right side.

Obviously you meant to type "left side" and it was more than a few games. Chevy won't have to do anything, if Trouba sits out it's the same as if he was injured. Jets move on without him. They would never trade such a valuable asset for less than fair value. His age fits with our current core so he'd be the most important long term piece on the Jets blue line. But the 2016 - 17 season is not make or break for the Jets. Maybe they contend for the playoffs maybe they don't? Holding out hurts the player more than it hurts the Jets (in the short term). Overhardt's recent hold outs / forced trades haven't really worked out that great for those players. I doubt Jacob will want to go down that road if he doesn't have to. A bridge deal seems a much better choice than holding out. His childhood best friend is on the team and he has publicly stated that he wants a long term deal in Winnipeg. Good enough for me.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Jordan Staal was traded for a roster downgrade, a prospect and a pick.... And he wasn't a holdout.

Jordan Staal was traded for a third line center, a guy who was an ok prospect at the time (good player now) and the 8th overall pick. And he was holding out. He wanted out of Pittsburgh cause he was buried behind Malkin and Crosby and he wanted to play with his brother

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've never wanted a player traded so badly.

fetch

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Chevy isn't playing the "long game". He's too timid and scared to make a wrong move.

Committing to drafting and developing the majority of your franchise is the very definition of playing the long-game, FYI. They've drafted a bunch of depth over the past 5-years and are now allowing that depth to develop and to build asset value. You may wish to paint the GM as scared but that doesn't match the reality. The reality is that they are patiently sticking to a plan that runs counter to the sort of activity that fans who populate a trade forum might prefer to see.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Jordan Staal was traded for a third line center, a guy who was an ok prospect at the time (good player now) and the 8th overall pick. And he was holding out. He wanted out of Pittsburgh cause he was buried behind Malkin and Crosby and he wanted to play with his brother

He was traded at the draft, but I guess the rest of the situation is very, very similar to Troubas.

But for some reason an offer that is similar to what Staal got is considered horrible..

Whileee

May 29, 2010
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: So according to you the only correct way to build a team is the Jets way?

Actually, not what he said. He said that the Jets way of building a team doesn't require a bunch of trades. The Kane/Bogo and Ladd trades brought back significant prospects and picks to supplement their solid drafting to build one of the NHL's best prospect pipelines.

Other teams use different methods, but ridiculing Chevy because he's only made a couple of big trades shows a lack of understanding of how Chevy has been building the franchise. Most objective / independent observers think he's done a pretty good job.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Then, there is no point in discussing a trade, simple. Jets are not intrested in picks and prospects....

THIS

There's a good thing about to happen with this team & I doubt management, coaches, the players or the fans would accept anything less than a lateral move in any Trouba deal.

The only piece the Jets would ever want in return for Trouba is another proven young defensemen, ideally Trouba's age.

There are only 12 players that fit this description in the NHL, about half of which play at Trouba's level. As it stands right now I personally rank Trouba the 5th best player on the Jets:

1)Wheeler
2) Byfuglien
3) Scheifele
4) Little
5) Trouba

That's good company.

Ideally the Jets would want the one that shoots left. With RD's seen as being a premium piece, Jets would hope to win this trade on paper.

Don't offer your goalies, your forwards, your veteran defensemen or your draft picks. It's done to death. Jet's fans in unison feel the one major weakness in the short term & long term is LD.

This has been an ongoing topic since Hamonic first implied he wanted a trade to Winnipeg. If trade couldn't be worked out for a hometown boy with impeccable character that Isles fans call their #1 defensemen, you're deal likely isn't going to materialize. It's clear the Jets value Trouba rather highly, to the point he may actually get the contract he allegedly is asking for.

I hope not. The only thing that will diminish Trouba's value is an AAV $6.0 million+ contact.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Once again, he was forced to do so. What other option did he have? Let Ladd walk or sign him to an anchor contract?

Well, nobody forced the Isles to sign him to an "anchor contract". Point is that Chevy decided to trade him instead of signing him. Nobody forced him. He signed Buff instead. He made a good decision.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The only piece the Jets would ever want in return for Trouba is another proven young defensemen, ideally Trouba's age.

You're projecting your desires onto the Jets management. We really don't know what they'd be looking for in return for trading Trouba.

Anyways, let's assume that you're right, Trouba isn't likely to return an equal player. The only reason he would be traded is because he's forcing it. That isn't a scenario where the Jets can get one of the 12 guys on your wishlist.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
You're projecting your desires onto the Jets management. We really don't know what they'd be looking for in return for trading Trouba.

Anyways, let's assume that you're right, Trouba isn't likely to return an equal player. The only reason he would be traded is because he's forcing it. That isn't a scenario where the Jets can get one of the 12 guys on your wishlist.

Aren't you doing the same in this post? NOBODY knows what the Jets would get in a Trouba trade until it happens. Stating they can't get the player they want or the value they want is speculation.

Best outcome is signing him.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Well, nobody forced the Isles to sign him to an "anchor contract". Point is that Chevy decided to trade him instead of signing him. Nobody forced him. He signed Buff instead. He made a good decision.

Yes, and the Isles will be looking at that contract in 3 years and wondering why they thought it was a good idea to give term and money to an already declining Ladd. This will be while the Jets hopefully will be deep in the playoffs. It was a good decision. It was also the obvious one.

How many months was Nill on the job when he got Seguin? Wonder if one of those was available last year *cough* Jonathan Drouin *cough*.

Last edited:

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Aren't you doing the same in this post? NOBODY knows what the Jets would get in a Trouba trade until it happens. Stating they can't get the player they want or the value they want is speculation.

Best outcome is signing him.

No he isn't, when you look at past situations like this rarely does a team get an equal player in return. Especially when Jets fans would only want a LHD...

What usually happens is a team gets a downgrade and a plus. And pretty sure I read a rumor somewhere that the Jets are wanting roster player + prospect + pick.

Holtman

Sep 4, 2016
Vancouver island
if I'm WPG I'd probably look at an option like maybe McDonagh or maybe a prospect/young LHD like Provorov/Hanifin

WPG doesn't seem to have a ton of needs outside of a top 4 young LD, honestly. Trouba would push EDM into playoff contention in my mind, just don't see how they can offer anything other than a package around Nurse or maybe Reinhart+2017 1st

If it's Provorov coming back I'd love to make deal work around that for trouba but there's no way philly does that. I'd also be open to sanheim but I'd rather have that deal revolve around Myers+

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

As a rule fans of a team should have an idea what it's strengths & weaknesses are. I'm certainly not the first to suggest the Jets are among the league weakest at LD & among the strongest at RD. A casual investigation on the main or the Jets boards will quickly illustrate the pressing need for this to be addressed.

Jets management clearly knows this as well. Why else did Chevy trade up to draft Logan Stanley?

Further why else did Jets fans complain of this choice? Well the two picks used to acquire the 18th overall pick could have easily had any two of Lucas Johansen, Dennis Cholowski, Libor Hajek, Chad Krys, Samuel Girard or Kale Clague...all left shooting defensemen that had been the focus of the Jets perceived draft plan from the outset.

The Jets LD depth charts reads:
1.Enstrom (31) the best we have & is regressing
2.Stuart (32) 3rd pairing at best
3.Strait (28) recently acquired & some of the worst #'s in the league
4.Chiarot (25) adequite at the AHL, unproven yet in the NHL
5.Melichiori (24) mediocre in the AHL, this years waiver fodder
6.Morrissey (21) the only talent in the system
7.Sami Niku (19) unsigned late round 2015 pick from Finland

followed by this years draft pick of Stanley. That's it. Nothing else in the system whatsoever.

It's so bad that when Morrissey graduates to the NHL our AHL affiliate will have a left defense devoid of a single NHL contract. Tyson Wilson, Jake Baker, Kevin Czuzman, & Peter Stoykewych, are all on AHL contracts that were signed this off-season.

Lastly I'll add that all that this is because the Jets have only drafted 4 defensemen in their history that shoot left. 2011 3rd rounder Brennan Serville (released)/ 7th rounder Aaron Harstad (released) 2015 7th rounder Sami Niku (currently unsigned but attended rookie camp) before finally reaching for Logan Stanley.

Meanwhile the Jets right side is filled at both the pro & prospect level, It's an area of strength for the team.

I would hope our GM "really knows" our:
1) draft history
2) our organizational depth
3) our areas of strength

well enough to ensure that any trade involving Trouba nets a return for a similar player in age & talent...that shoots left

Anyways when it's all said & done Trouba will have signed with the Jets for 6 years @$5.6 million & will spend the year playing top pairing on his off side with Byfuglien. Watch for a breakout year.

"Heyyy!" I'm calling for a signing tomorrow.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes, and the Isles will be looking at that contract in 3 years and wondering why they thought it was a good idea to give term and money to an already declining Ladd. This will be while the Jets hopefully will be deep in the playoffs. It was a good decision. It was also the obvious one.

How many months was Nill on the job when he got Seguin? Wonder if one of those was available last year *cough* Jonathan Drouin *cough*.

0 teams traded for Drouin, and there are a lot of teams that need a young forward much more than the Jets do. Seguin was a unique situation.

Fact is that Chevy has made two of the biggest trades of the past two seasons, and nailed both of them.

Look at the Jets roster and prospect pool and it's inescapable that Chevy's done a nice job of building the team and organization over the past five seasons. He's done a better job than many trade-happy GMs.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
No he isn't, when you look at past situations like this rarely does a team get an equal player in return. Especially when Jets fans would only want a LHD...

What usually happens is a team gets a downgrade and a plus. And pretty sure I read a rumor somewhere that the Jets are wanting roster player + prospect + pick.

"I'm pretty sure I read a rumor somewhere" this explains so much of your posts.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
0 teams traded for Drouin, and there are a lot of teams that need a young forward much more than the Jets do. Seguin was a unique situation.

Fact is that Chevy has made two of the biggest trades of the past two seasons, and nailed both of them.

Look at the Jets roster and prospect pool and it's inescapable that Chevy's done a nice job of building the team and organization over the past five seasons. He's done a better job than many trade-happy GMs.

Hold on there, 78 points last year? We need a little more confirmation than that before we say what a nice job Chevy has done, and I like him as a GM.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta

Yah man, he's a contender when it comes to prospects, cause that's what matters right? And he made those trade when it's obvious and he had too. He did a good job on those trades. Why can't he do it more though? Chyka has done a wonderful job with the Coyotes in just a couple of months, and Jim Nill has done an even better job with the Stars. But hey, at least with this losing team, Chevy can hit the cottage early every summer, Ehh?

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Hold on there, 78 points last year? We need a little more confirmation than that before we say what a nice job Chevy has done, and I like him as a GM.

"Hey Chevy, would you like a Lee Stempniak for ~1 million dollars?"

"Nah, we got Thorburn and Peluso as our depth. I think we're set for the playoffs :yo:."

*Lee Stempniak proceeds to score 51 points*

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yah man, he's a contender when it comes to prospects, cause that's what matters right? And he made those trade when it's obvious and he had too. He did a good job on those trades. Why can't he do it more though? Chyka has done a wonderful job with the Coyotes in just a couple of months, and Jim Nill has done an even better job with the Stars. But hey, at least with this losing team, Chevy can hit the cottage early every summer, Ehh?

You're praising Chayka for selling cap space because his owners can't afford a competitive roster? They'll have a roster with $15-20 million less salary than the rest of the teams in their division. He'll have plenty of time for vacation. Nill did well with the Seguin trade under special circumstances. His drafting has been questionable (passed over Larkin and Connor for Honka and Gurianov). The Jets are built to he a consistent playoff contender, starting as early as this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad