OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Easily, no question, and I'm sad I forgot that it was last week. Thankfully I had the opportunity a few years ago.

Seems like a lot of singers and bands are knocking it out of the park lately.

I saw IDLES on Thursday and it was insane. I didn't know I could still enjoy a punk show that way.

Charley Crockett opening for Willie tonight? Willie still has it for a man his age but Charley is a special talent.

And finally, a friend of mine got bach from the YOLA show around the same time as I did mine and said it was nuts if you're into Americana/Gospel/Soul.

Good times all around people.
200% - saw My Chemical Romance at the pru center last night, also amazing (ive been holding these tickets for 3 years lol)

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
200% - saw My Chemical Romance at the pru center last night, also amazing (ive been holding these tickets for 3 years lol)
I think this has a lot to do with it.

These people haven't been able to perform regularly for a long time so they're pouring their heart and soul into it.

Same for the crowds.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Andor is very good. Watched the first 3 episodes that are out and was engrossed the entire time. Anybody who liked Rogue One will really enjoy this. It has the same feel, but I think is darker than Disney ended up going with RO. Very impressed given this was the Star Wars show I was probably least interested in.
Is it watchable if you haven’t watched any of the other series aside from Mando?

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
It might be an unpopular opinion but Ragnarok is a terrible Thor movie as well. I hate how they have portrayed Thor as an absolute moron who jokes around nonstop.

I like what we do in the shadows so it's not like I'm a Waititi hater, I just don't enjoy his portrayal of Thor whatsoever.
It's an unpopular opinion, but I honestly thought Ragnarok was meh. People say it has Taika's touch but I don't see it. The banter is no different than other MCU stuff of the era. The only thing it has going for it is that it's a little sillier than the usual MCU movie.

My friend saw them in Boston and had a great time. It was worth the COVID she got from it (first time for her).

Reactions: My3Sons

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Ragnarok is top 5 MCU films.

Yeah, I said it.

And no, I didn't read the comics because he was a dork. Same as most MCU characters.

There's a reason everyone is waiting on the X-Men with bated breath.

Hell, the F4 are nerds too but they're not Spider-Man childish level - strictly speaking about the comics. Even though I think No Way Home is one of if not the best film in that universe, he was always for children in the books.

If you look at all time sales in print the X-Men are right behind Spider-Man. I suspect that has a lot to do with the MCU.

Last edited:

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
It’s way too late in the game for me to care about the MCU again even when X-Men are brought into it. It’s the cinematic equivalent of a hamster wheel: all this running towards the next big event with no end in sight, all while you have to consume streaming shows on top of the movies. It’s very similar to how live service video games disrespect your time in the hopes that you don’t play something else.

As cool as mutants are, they don’t change the model.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It’s way too late in the game for me to care about the MCU again even when X-Men are brought into it. It’s the cinematic equivalent of a hamster wheel: all this running towards the next big event with no end in sight, all while you have to consume streaming shows on top of the movies. It’s very similar to how live service video games disrespect your time in the hopes that you don’t play something else.

As cool as mutants are, they don’t change the model.
I get that, and I think ticket sales at the box office are reflecting the same same sentiment.

Hence why I think the die hards are just waiting this phase out.

Star wars went through the same issue and we've seen how that turned out.

You can feel any which way you like and that's cool, but I'll bet if they do secret wars right it'll make over a billion.

Yet I do agree that by pumping out so much content in a short span of time (a lot of it meaningless and just to fulfill contract obligations) is watering down the product.

At the same time though people forget how much trash was in the first three phases because the saga ending was so epic.

Personally, they've earned my trust.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ragnarok is top 5 MCU films.

Yeah, I said it.

And no, I didn't read the comics because he was a dork. Same as most MCU characters.

Hell, the F4 are nerds too but they're not Spider-Man childish level - strictly speaking about the comics. Even though I think No Way Home is one of if not the best film in that universe, he was always for children in the books.

If you look at all time sales in print the X-Men are right behind Spider-Man. I suspect that has a lot to do with the MCU.
I think everyone brings their own expectations to these movies and based on that they either work or they don't. I have a few rules for comic book movies:

1- I will happily suspend disbelief but have some internal rules and live within them

2- Move it along, it's a comic book movie, not shakespeare

3- Snappy dialog. Jokes or serious are fine, but make it either witty or smart

4- Don't take the source material too seriously, again, it's a comic book

Marvel and DC have both been hit or miss to me. I find I can't really watch too many of them after a first viewing. I have rewatched Iron Man, Avengers, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame, Guardians, Homecoming, and Ragnarok. I enjoyed the Loki TV show and the Wandavision show as well. I haven't read a comic book since spring of 1980. I know this because somehow a stack of my old comics survived and I ended up with them and that's when the last one is from. I've been one of their target consumers since I had a child when the first Iron Man came out and up until Endgame still had kids young enough they wanted to go with me. Where I struggle is mostly with my first rule. Take Iron Man 3 - they have the US President prisoner the VP is in on it and not one other Avenger is around to help? No Fury? Meh. That was a miss to me. In contrast the first Iron Man still holds up to me. Someday we will have that tech so I'm ok saying it's early. Beyond that it moved, it was witty, and it didn't insult my intelligence. I think Marvel's current problem is stand alone introduction stories. They are cookie cutter to me at this point.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
So for Andor seems okay. I do like how it "looks" but Andor doesnt really have great charisma or stage presence and the story isnt really that interesting.

RNCDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners is a good series. It has some typical stilted dialogue, and it can be a bit over the top for me at times. Still, the music, animation and overall story are very good.

Reactions: Darkauron

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I get that, and I think ticket sales at the box office are reflecting the same same sentiment.

Hence why I think the die hards are just waiting this phase out.

Star wars went through the same issue and we've seen how that turned out.

You can feel any which way you like and that's cool, but I'll bet if they do secret wars right it'll make over a billion.

Yet I do agree that by pumping out so much content in a short span of time (a lot of it meaningless and just to fulfill contract obligations) is watering down the product.

At the same time though people forget how much trash was in the first three phases because the saga ending was so epic.

Personally, they've earned my trust.

A good Secret Wars movie pushes 2 bil. I can’t wait until we start getting incursion stuff. The Doctor Strange tease got me so pumped for it

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Marvel has to be pretty far away from all that. So far they have barely introduced Kang and the X-Men.
Secret wars is more than 3 years away.

Which is why it would be an epic failure if they don't pull it off to some degree. We're talking Thrones final season bad and possibly worse.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It might be an unpopular opinion but Ragnarok is a terrible Thor movie as well. I hate how they have portrayed Thor as an absolute moron who jokes around nonstop.

I like what we do in the shadows so it's not like I'm a Waititi hater, I just don't enjoy his portrayal of Thor whatsoever.
MCU Thor before Ragnarok was boring as f***, so I appreciate them at least giving him some personality, even if they have veered way into comedy. I do think Love and Thunder was a bit too jokey though, similar to how Guardians 2 felt too jokey and forced to me while the first Guardians got it right.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners is a good series. It has some typical stilted dialogue, and it can be a bit over the top for me at times. Still, the music, animation and overall story are very good.
Yeah it was really good, surprised no one mentioned it yet, thought there was a ton of anime fans on here.

That being said I'm not into anime at all whatsoever but I do know the Cyberpunk universe so I checked it out and it was well worth it, I really enjoyed it. Very refreshing to see after the non stop Disney sludge they keep shitting out every other week.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
The one thing Netflix seems to do well these days are animated adaptations of video game properties. I’ve heard lots of good things about Castlevania and Arkane (based on League of Legends).

The live action stuff is more dicey. On the one hand, you’ve got The Witcher, which was good for at least the first season (didn’t check the second). On the other hand, you’ve got the Resident Evil series that was just canned, which I heard was like a CW-ified take on the game series.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
The one thing Netflix seems to do well these days are animated adaptations of video game properties. I’ve heard lots of good things about Castlevania and Arkane (based on League of Legends).

The live action stuff is more dicey. On the one hand, you’ve got The Witcher, which was good for at least the first season (didn’t check the second). On the other hand, you’ve got the Resident Evil series that was just canned, which I heard was like a CW-ified take on the game series.
Arcane is one of the best shows I've seen in years (live action or animated) hands down, haven't seen Castlevania. Witcher was OK but they had to f*** with it, could have been so much more. I absolutely love when things are compared to a CW show, perfect way to say it's garbage but on a whole nother level of cringe haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad