OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I believe the semi official word is 3-4 seasons and then possibly turning into an anthology of other important Targaryen tales told in 1-4 season chunks.
Haven’t watched the latest episode yet but if they are anything like GoTs and HoDs then give me all of them :laugh:.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Is George RR Martin writing any of this stuff or has it been handed off yet?
George wrote a history book that this series is based on and he’s heavily consulting with the show. So I hope nobody is waiting on his next book.

I believe the first 3 episodes only covered 4 pages of the history book so the tv show has a lot of room to fill in the motivations that the history book didn’t spell out.

Also, the history book is collected from 3 different sources, I believe, so the tv show is sort of a “true” history from Martin.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
George wrote a history book that this series is based on and he’s heavily consulting with the show. So I hope nobody is waiting on his next book.

I believe the first 3 episodes only covered 4 pages of the history book so the tv show has a lot of room to fill in the motivations that the history book didn’t spell out.

Also, the history book is collected from 3 different sources, I believe, so the tv show is sort of a “true” history from Martin.
That should give them enough material for a while. I'm glad fans of the original series have something else to watch. My two older ones enjoyed it although I think they believed as others have said here that it went a bit off the rails at the end.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Haven’t watched the latest episode yet but if they are anything like GoTs and HoDs then give me all of them :laugh:.

Tbf I don’t really think anything else is really as interesting as those. Robert’s Rebellion is interesting but we’ve already heard so much about it that it lessens it. Aegon’s conquest would be kind of boring. I’m personally not at all interested in a Children vs First Men show or a Jon sequel. Maybe Valyrian stuff with the Doom could work. Blackfyre rebellions would probably be the best option

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
I just went down the rabbit hole after watching this new netflix doc Sins of our Mother
Holy freakin cannoli this woman.....my god.
Finished it yesterday, I have literally done nothing all day but read articles and watch videos about this situation. I don't even remember it being in the news when it happened, but apparently it was.

Tbf I don’t really think anything else is really as interesting as those. Robert’s Rebellion is interesting but we’ve already heard so much about it that it lessens it. Aegon’s conquest would be kind of boring. I’m personally not at all interested in a Children vs First Men show or a Jon sequel. Maybe Valyrian stuff with the Doom could work. Blackfyre rebellions would probably be the best option

They picked the best story from "cannon" they could. After attempting to get over my disdain for GOT, Martin and all the associated poop I have enjoyed the show more now. However there's now a constant tug of war in my head whether I want them to reference GOT because its narratively relevant that they do so, and I never want it referenced ever and lets pretend the future played out differently. Its all meaningless because
game-of-thrones-bran-stark-i-can-never-be-lord-of-winterfell-king-sounds-good.jpg

Reactions: HBK27

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I just went down the rabbit hole after watching this new netflix doc Sins of our Mother
Finished it yesterday, I have literally done nothing all day but read articles and watch videos about this situation. I don't even remember it being in the news when it happened, but apparently it was.

They picked the best story from "cannon" they could. After attempting to get over my disdain for GOT, Martin and all the associated poop I have enjoyed the show more now. However there's now a constant tug of war in my head whether I want them to reference GOT because its narratively relevant that they do so, and I never want it referenced ever and lets pretend the future played out differently. Its all meaningless because
View attachment 586280

There’s a nearly 200 year gap. I really don’t get how people are letting any gripes they have with GoT influence HotD. Sure they’re technically related but they’re also very unrelated. It’s not like this is Robert’s Rebellion where the characters involved there are directly involved on GoT so it’s hard to separate. This is a show where all the characters are loooooooooooong gone by GoT and it’s centered on family that’s nearly entirely wiped out by GoT.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
If you ever get a chance to see Florence and the Machine....do it. easily one of the best shows I've ever been too

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

View attachment 586280
So far the things I’ve read floating around are:

Jon Snow continuation show
Dunk and Egg
Princess Nymeria
Corlys Velaryon Adventures
A show about Flea Bottom

———

I think all those shows have some development already done. We also had the show about the First Men that was cancelled after the pilot, they could always revive that concept with a new cast and crew.

They’ve bane dropped Princess Nymeria in House of the Dragon a couple of times so I would think HBO is excited for that one.

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
There’s a nearly 200 year gap. I really don’t get how people are letting any gripes they have with GoT influence HotD. Sure they’re technically related but they’re also very unrelated. It’s not like this is Robert’s Rebellion where the characters involved there are directly involved on GoT so it’s hard to separate. This is a show where all the characters are loooooooooooong gone by GoT and it’s centered on family that’s nearly entirely wiped out by GoT.

Look everyone can feel their own way about the HOD and GOT. You're not wrong, but it bothers me. They show the dagger, the talk about the prophecy, they will be mentioning the longnight/whitewalkers they will easter egg and reference GOT and have done so already. Some folks like yourself will be able to compartmentalize it away and some wont. When I watch anything with a connected universe and is supposed to be a prequel, part of the enjoyment i get out of it is knowing that it all leads to the original story or that these events influenced what was to come regardless if its 170 years in the future. I like the easter eggs, i like the connectivity. But I can't like it now because I know it leads to a complete and utter clown show. Thats me. If you don't care, more power to you.

So far the things I’ve read floating around are:

Jon Snow continuation show
Dunk and Egg
Princess Nymeria
Corlys Velaryon Adventures
A show about Flea Bottom

———

I think all those shows have some development already done. We also had the show about the First Men that was cancelled after the pilot, they could always revive that concept with a new cast and crew.

They’ve bane dropped Princess Nymeria in House of the Dragon a couple of times so I would think HBO is excited for that one.

I am confused about why Kit Harrington is commissioning a JonSnow sequel show... He has been noted as someone who was dissatisfied with the GOT ending so I'm completely dumbfounded why he would want to piggy back off of something he didn't enjoy. Perhaps he aims to fix things. Godbless Kit, I wish you well.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I am confused about why Kit Harrington is commissioning a JonSnow sequel show... He has been noted as someone who was dissatisfied with the GOT ending so I'm completely dumbfounded why he would want to piggy back off of something he didn't enjoy. Perhaps he aims to fix things. Godbless Kit, I wish you well.
He apparently wants to use his show to retcon the original GOT ending…but how in a way that makes sense?

The only speculation I heard that made some sense is you need a good story where we find out all of George’s prophecies are yet to be fulfilled so Jon Snow realizes the ultimate threat of winter still hasn’t been defeated and he must bring the prophecies to pass. Maybe becoming obsessive over prophecies like his ancestors.

All that while having fun and dangerous adventures with his crew. I think it would be less an intrigue show like GOT and more an epic tale like LOTR.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Just watched the new Thor. What a disappointment this movie was for me. The Gorr the god butcher story is one of the best Thor comic runs ever and Bale's performance as Gorr was absolutely wasted cause he was barely on and butchered like 1 god on screen.

They rushed way too fast into Jane turning into Thor and more so rushed her internal struggle of wanting to do good as Thor vs trying to stay as a human beating cancer when she knew she could leave and help others. For most of that comic run she hid the fact from Thor that she was the female Thor.

So many stupid, unfunny jokes and gags. Korg, dumpling god, the damn goats screaming every single damn time they were on the screen, fat Zeus, nonstop goofy lines from everyone that wasn't Gorr.

This whole movie seemed like a parody of a superhero movie more than anything else.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

My3Sons

Sponsor
Just watched the new Thor. What a disappointment this movie was for me. The Gorr the god butcher story is one of the best Thor comic runs ever and Bale's performance as Gorr was absolutely wasted cause he was barely on and butchered like 1 god on screen.

They rushed way too fast into Jane turning into Thor and more so rushed her internal struggle of wanting to do good as Thor vs trying to stay as a human beating cancer when she knew she could leave and help others. For most of that comic run she hid the fact from Thor that she was the female Thor.

So many stupid, unfunny jokes and gags. Korg, dumpling god, the damn goats screaming every single damn time they were on the screen, fat Zeus, nonstop goofy lines from everyone that wasn't Gorr.

This whole movie seemed like a parody of a superhero movie more than anything else.
It definitely wasn’t as well conceived as Ragnarok but I think the story they wanted to tell was too sprawling for a two hour movie. It was almost three plots in some ways. Then add in the fact it’s Taika Waititi and it’s going to push the humor in sometimes jarring ways. Let’s not forget he killed a bunch of Asgard in Ragnarok in about thirty seconds like it was nothing and more or less played it for laughs. That’s him. There were lots of great ideas in thr movie but it just wasn’t cohesive and it short changed the villain who was a great concept. If they did a 3 hour director cut it might work better

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
It definitely wasn’t as well conceived as Ragnarok but I think the story they wanted to tell was too sprawling for a two hour movie. It was almost three plots in some ways. Then add in the fact it’s Taika Waititi and it’s going to push the humor in sometimes jarring ways. Let’s not forget he killed a bunch of Asgard in Ragnarok in about thirty seconds like it was nothing and more or less played it for laughs. That’s him. There were lots of great ideas in thr movie but it just wasn’t cohesive and it short changed the villain who was a great concept. If they did a 3 hour director cut it might work better

It might be an unpopular opinion but Ragnarok is a terrible Thor movie as well. I hate how they have portrayed Thor as an absolute moron who jokes around nonstop.

I like what we do in the shadows so it's not like I'm a Waititi hater, I just don't enjoy his portrayal of Thor whatsoever.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
It might be an unpopular opinion but Ragnarok is a terrible Thor movie as well. I hate how they have portrayed Thor as an absolute moron who jokes around nonstop.

I like what we do in the shadows so it's not like I'm a Waititi hater, I just don't enjoy his portrayal of Thor whatsoever.
Think the public was ok with it? I believe Ragnarok did much better than the first two movies. Still art is in the eye of the beholder. If it’s not for you that’s fair. I liked it but I found thr second Thor movie too dreary and generally see comic book movies as inherently goofy so the jokes and humor don’t detract for me. I prefer thr Deadpool approach. Just my thoughts. Yours are equally valid.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Think the public was ok with it? I believe Ragnarok did much better than the first two movies. Still art is in the eye of the beholder. If it’s not for you that’s fair. I liked it but I found thr second Thor movie too dreary and generally see comic book movies as inherently goofy so the jokes and humor don’t detract for me. I prefer thr Deadpool approach. Just my thoughts. Yours are equally valid.

Yup the public was ok with it and that's fine because I know the vast majority of the movie watchers don't read the comics, it's just tough cause Thor is one of my favorite reads and these last two movies feels more like a parody of Thor than anything else. I'm not saying that Thor can't be funny but having him come across as stupid and cringe worthy as they do is just so blah.

I do find it interesting that a lot of people haven't enjoyed Love and Thunder as much even though it really is more of the same thing from Ragnarok.

Just a shame for me is all cause Gorr the god butcher is one of the best Thor stories ever and they really did him a disservice and it was a waste of Bale who really seemed to nail the part and the look was great. He could have went down as one of the all time best villain performances if they gave him more screen time but instead those kids in the cage got almost the same amount of time on screen.

The opening of this movie had me absolutely hooked and I thought f*** yeah they are going all in on Gorr and it then went completely off the rails to me. The black and white fight scene was absolutely gorgeous. We needed more of that and less of the dumb rock bro character and screaming goats.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I have new Thor on par with Thor 2, for me that means I was ok watching it once but never will again and probably can’t recommend it to anyone else.

The movie had a few laughs but it blew it on any serious beats it tried to bring up.

I can imagine this same concept told as an epic tale of Gods and nihilism and the feels like it would have been more impactful. Also, ultimately more fun because it would be a story that impacted you.

I didn’t care about anything or anyone in this movie and it featured characters I already cared about. :laugh:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
If you ever get a chance to see Florence and the Machine....do it. easily one of the best shows I've ever been too
Easily, no question, and I'm sad I forgot that it was last week. Thankfully I had the opportunity a few years ago.

Seems like a lot of singers and bands are knocking it out of the park lately.

I saw IDLES on Thursday and it was insane. I didn't know I could still enjoy a punk show that way.

Charley Crockett opening for Willie tonight? Willie still has it for a man his age but Charley is a special talent.

And finally, a friend of mine got bach from the YOLA show around the same time as I did mine and said it was nuts if you're into Americana/Gospel/Soul.

Good times all around people.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Andor is very good. Watched the first 3 episodes that are out and was engrossed the entire time. Anybody who liked Rogue One will really enjoy this. It has the same feel, but I think is darker than Disney ended up going with RO. Very impressed given this was the Star Wars show I was probably least interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad