OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
thoroughly enjoying she hulk so far
Why? From what I've heard (I don't watch MCU shows), it has good components, but it can't go very long without explicitly and heavyhandedly appealing to media people who post on Twitter 12 hours a day. Between that and unabashedly (and successfully) agitating people who are prone to whining about "wokeness," it seems like the only reason this show exists is to create discourse. The writers fully admitted that they don't know how to write court scenes, which is inexcusable when you have multiple Law and Order shows and many movies that have those scenes.

If you can still enjoy it in spite of the trolling for Twitter engagement, I'm not going to stop you. Someone I'm subscribed to on YouTube still thinks it's OK while acknowledging that weakness.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Why? From what I've heard (I don't watch MCU shows), it has good components, but it can't go very long without explicitly and heavyhandedly appealing to media people who post on Twitter 12 hours a day. Between that and unabashedly (and successfully) agitating people who are prone to whining about "wokeness," it seems like the only reason this show exists is to create discourse. The writers fully admitted that they don't know how to write court scenes, which is inexcusable when you have multiple Law and Order shows and many movies that have those scenes.

If you can still enjoy it in spite of the trolling for Twitter engagement, I'm not going to stop you. Someone I'm subscribed to on YouTube still thinks it's OK while acknowledging that weakness.
As a non social media person, and a lawyer, I'll suggest it's just a modern comedy. Sure, there are obvious social issues that are covered but it's generally played for laughs. The court scenes are silly so far, but they are supposed to be silly. You can't write true to life court scenes for a show like this. The main character has a bit of a "woe is me" streak which may or may not just be a theme suggesting she is a reluctant superhero but at this point I think most of us have seen enough fun but flawed movies/tv in this genre to keep what we like and jettison the rest.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

I loathe this term more than I have the words for right now.

Just seems like a cantankerous old man way of saying "I'm angry, don't understand, and change makes me feel bad!"

Meanwhile this show has been pretty true to canon so far and the character's been around since the 80's.

A lot of people who bitch about marvel films and shows really have no idea about the history of the company or these characters.

As far as my opinion of the show, it's not bad. Probably the third best behind WandaVision and Loki

Last edited:
Reactions: Bone Density

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Back to music. I stated earlier itt that country is all but dead and boy was I wrong.

I'm seeing Willie later this week and saw Charley Crockett is the opener so I've gone down the rabbit hole. This guy is blowing me away.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Man, this season of Peaky Blinders ain’t it. I haven’t watched the finale yet but it just feels off.

We're a couple episodes into the final season, and I agree with you. Even for a show that has deliberate anachronisms, it seems off.

I think many shows that become popular lose their moorings a bit as they get into later seasons. They emphasize the popular elements of the show at the expense of good plotting and character development. The end result is that they drift away from what made them successful at best, or disappear up their own ass and veer into outright self-parody at worst.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

People being triggered by this show speaks more about them than it does the show. Which is ironic considering they're usually the same people who say people need to grow a thicker skin and stop whining about shit.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
We're a couple episodes into the final season, and I agree with you. Even for a show that has deliberate anachronisms, it seems off.

I think many shows that become popular lose their moorings a bit as they get into later seasons. They emphasize the popular elements of the show at the expense of good plotting and character development. The end result is that they drift away from what made them successful at best, or disappear up their own ass and veer into outright self-parody at worst.
Could not agree with this more. Arthur has been reduced to a caricature of himself and each episode seems more focused on cinematography than writing/plot.

Reactions: Saugus

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I loathe this term more than I have the words for right now.

Just seems like a cantankerous old man way of saying "I'm angry, don't understand, and change makes me feel bad!"

Meanwhile this show has been pretty true to canon so far and the character's been around since the 80's.

A lot of people who bitch about marvel films and shows really have no idea about the history of the company or these characters.

As far as my opinion of the show, it's not bad. Probably the third best behind WandaVision and Loki
Yeah, it's become meaningless as a term thanks to certain people making it that way, so I try to stay away from it now. I've only watched half an episode of Ms Marvel for MCU shows and I just found it boring.

From what I've heard about She-Hulk, though, it sounds like something I wouldn't like. Lots of dialog, situations (particularly the dating life), and Easter eggs seem to be aimed at the Twitter crowd. The online discourse seems to be an absolute nightmare.

The way I see it, if a show gets that kind of two-sided reaction and seems like it's meant to be screencapped and shared later as reactions, it has nothing to offer me. House of the Dragon also has its grumblings from that crowd, but there's more to it. Same with Rings of Power but I've heard more than anything else that it's boring.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
HOTD is so freaking good. And I wasn't really that excited about it going in.
I am very much enjoying it... I just have it a rung below GOT because that intricate intelligent dialogue is missing. They are going for more action in HOTD which has been fun though.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I am very much enjoying it... I just have it a rung below GOT because that intricate intelligent dialogue is missing. They are going for more action in HOTD which has been fun though.

If I’m comparing each of them through their first 4 episodes I’m going HotD. It’s not the action carrying it for me either. I’m much more interested in the HotD characters early on than I was in early GoT and I loved them too. Could be going into GoT blind vs having read F&B but I can’t really say if that’s the reason

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Besides the 1st episode that was very smart Hulk heavy, this is the only good thing that has come out of the She Hulk series for me so far…
AAA5E977-C939-45BC-B92B-D30DE545B92F.jpeg

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
This isn't saying much, but it's still better than Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Ms Marvel, and Hawkeye.
Ms Marvel is the only Marvel movie or show I haven’t finished and won’t. Hawkeye I liked but agree with Falcon. I enjoy Anthony Mackie in that role but I don’t think his character should lead a show or movie. I think you’ve mentioned loving WandaVision but I found the first few episodes to be way too slow to enjoy.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Ms Marvel is the only Marvel movie or show I haven’t finished and won’t. Hawkeye I liked but agree with Falcon. I enjoy Anthony Mackie in that role but I don’t think his character should lead a show or movie. I think you’ve mentioned loving WandaVision but I found the first few episodes to be way too slow to enjoy.

I thought the first few episodes were the best in the show and I think it's by far the best show

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I didn't love WandaVision (did Loki), but it's been one of the best of the bunch so far.

This franchise really needs mutants.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Besides the 1st episode that was very smart Hulk heavy, this is the only good thing that has come out of the She Hulk series for me so far…
View attachment 584551
Is that real? If so they will have to revamp her character. It will get old having to listen to Flo from Progressive's sister for more than a couple of minutes.

I like Anthony Mackie and he would be a great Captain America if they gave him superpowers. Just my view.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I thought the first few episodes were the best in the show and I think it's by far the best show
It’s amazing how different peoples opinions can be but it doesn’t surprise me. I was in the minority on this one since it was reviewed so well by critics and fans alike. The slow sitcom style build up without enough payoff in the first 2-3 episodes just bored me out of my mind. I’m pretty sure that’s why most people enjoyed it lol but it just wasn’t for me. I stuck with it though because I really did enjoy the actors and I knew where it was going. I do wish they would’ve made the fight at the end a little less cheesy though.

I didn't love WandaVision (did Loki), but it's been one of the best of the bunch so far.

This franchise really needs mutants.
Tom Hiddelson crushes everything he’s in.

I’ve said it before but i’ll say it again… FF and the X-men will be huge for Disney/Marvel.

Reactions: Jack Be Quick

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Is that real? If so they will have to revamp her character. It will get old having to listen to Flo from Progressive's sister for more than a couple of minutes.

I like Anthony Mackie and he would be a great Captain America if they gave him superpowers. Just my view.
It’s very really fake but if they want to make a spoof I would watch it instead of the rest of She-Hulk :laugh:

That’s probably the biggest issue with his Cap… he needs the powers instead of just flying around with his robotic wings. Hopefully they give him the serum.

Reactions: My3Sons

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It’s very really fake but if they want to make a spoof I would watch it instead of the rest of She-Hulk :laugh:

That’s probably the biggest issue with his Cap… he needs the powers instead of just flying around with his robotic wings. Hopefully they give him the serum.
I can't imagine they don't but am also not familiar with his character in the books other than I know he becomes cap.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It’s amazing how different peoples opinions can be but it doesn’t surprise me. I was in the minority on this one since it was reviewed so well by critics and fans alike. The slow sitcom style build up without enough payoff in the first 2-3 episodes just bored me out of my mind. I’m pretty sure that’s why most people enjoyed it lol but it just wasn’t for me. I stuck with it though because I really did enjoy the actors and I knew where it was going. I do wish they would’ve made the fight at the end a little less cheesy though.

Tom Hiddelson crushes everything he’s in.

I’ve said it before but i’ll say it again… FF and the X-men will be huge for Disney/Marvel.

I'm hoping it's actually the "X-Men". If it's another Wolverine and friends shit show then I'm going to lose my f***ing mind. There's enough X-Men related content that if you wanted you could make an XMCU that rivals what the MCU has done so hopefully they actually explore all the different X-Men properties rather than what Fox did.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I'm hoping it's actually the "X-Men". If it's another Wolverine and friends shit show then I'm going to lose my f***ing mind. There's enough X-Men related content that if you wanted you could make an XMCU that rivals what the MCU has done so hopefully they actually explore all the different X-Men properties rather than what Fox did.
Agreed. They could’ve used Jackman just as well without relying on him to be the tentpole for every movie. I’m hoping for a slow burn of introducing characters and having some solo movies prior to the X men just like the Avengers did.

Reactions: Hisch13r
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad