OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Through the second episode of House of the Dragon and I’m really enjoying it so far.

Interesting to see how the Lord of the Rings show feels in comparison.
I’m really not liking how Rings of Power is being marketed and hyped. Yes, the original LotR was based on outdated negative stereotypes of certain races of people. That isn’t new information. It shouldn’t be the job of the showrunners and writers to “fix” the wrongs to create a property that’s better and more definitive than the base work. But when you hear them talk, that’s exactly what they seem to think.

On the same streaming service, I’ve heard that League of Their Own suffers from that as well. I sort of get the thrust of it because Abbi Jacobson has come out as a lesbian in between Broad City and this show, but what exactly is stopping her from making her own thing?

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I’m really not liking how Rings of Power is being marketed and hyped. Yes, the original LotR was based on outdated negative stereotypes of certain races of people. That isn’t new information. It shouldn’t be the job of the showrunners and writers to “fix” the wrongs to create a property that’s better and more definitive than the base work. But when you hear them talk, that’s exactly what they seem to think.

On the same streaming service, I’ve heard that League of Their Own suffers from that as well. I sort of get the thrust of it because Abbi Jacobson has come out as a lesbian in between Broad City and this show, but what exactly is stopping her from making her own thing?

Just in terms of general marketing I think I've seen 1 commercial for it compared to house of the dragon where I couldn't get away from seeing the commercials and ads everywhere.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Since I was discussing them earlier I thought this was kind of funny.

Walking the dog earlier and saw a guy glueing an idles poster to a wall.

I stopped for a second and said "that's going to be a dope show.

He responded "I have one poster left, do you want it?"

f*** yeah I did.

IMG_20220831_125441840.jpg

So if anyone here wants to see a dope, modern hard/punk rock show at an absolutely majestic and large venue here's your chance.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Lord of the Rings was racist? I didn't see any minority groups represented at all so in that sense, I'd agree. But I don't see any stereotypes since there were no groups to stereotype that were part of the cast unless you consider short people a minority group?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Agree with you on that, I think J might be able to but the rest almost certainly couldn't. The finale was good but just left a lot of stuff open. Let me know when you're finished, I'd like to shoot the shit about it.
Ok so to start… I hated how Pope ended up in jail which was the big storyline of the season and how they wrapped up the show. The show was absolutely cancelled and the creators had more seasons planned and I say that because of the fast pace to get to the end of the series. Another thing I noticed was how they didn’t show the two younger uncles when they were kids until just recently. I think not stretching or really showing much of their storyline as kids took away from the ending with those two on the beach. The final scene with Jay should’ve had something in it to make you think Darin was coming after him. Like a knock on a hotel room door and then end of show rather than just show him sitting next to the pool. Just a few thoughts although I have many more :laugh:
[\spoiler]

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Ok so to start… I hated how Pope ended up in jail which was the big storyline of the season and how they wrapped up the show. The show was absolutely cancelled and the creators had more seasons planned and I say that because of the fast pace to get to the end of the series. Another thing I noticed was how they didn’t show the two younger uncles when they were kids until just recently. I think not stretching or really showing much of their storyline as kids took away from the ending with those two on the beach. The final scene with Jay should’ve had something in it to make you think Darin was coming after him. Like a knock on a hotel room door and then end of show rather than just show him sitting next to the pool. Just a few thoughts although I have many more :laugh:
[\spoiler]
I agree on everything. It was forced. That show fell off in such a bad way for me tbh. I liked the first few seasons, it got me hooked, and then it just kinda stunk the last two seasons.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

My3Sons

Sponsor
I started listening to them because of how you talk about them . I am really liking their music
Once you get a feel for their sound check out the YouTube of Crosseyed and Painless from Rome. It might be the single most impressive video capture of anything they did. Adrian Belew crushes the guitar solo and the sound is very good for the time and you can almost see the energy the band was playing with that night. One of my favorite live videos of any band from any era. I’m still waiting for a definitive release of Pink Floyd doing the Wall live but I’m not sure we ever get that from what I’ve read.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I started listening to them because of how you talk about them . I am really liking their music
David Byrne's American utopia was an interesting watch.

Watching and enjoying both LotR and HotD. I am liking them because I do not know the endings, even though there are so many spoilers for HotD out there.

Reactions: My3Sons

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Finally finished The Americans.

Requires some major suspension of disbelief sometimes (the disguises are often hilarious) but I have to say that Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys gave two of the best performances I've ever seen on TV. I don't think I've ever watched a show, aside from The Sopranos, that gave relationships the respect this show gave the two leads. Mad Men is kind of a joke next to the depth here.

It's very good and almost great were it not for the 4th and 5th seasons dragging on a bit. I'm a guy who prefers taking it slow but I felt like it lacked some forward movement for a little while.

Reactions: Saugus

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Saw Nope the other day, not knowing what to expect. Get Out was incredibly good, Us was a mess. The only complaint I have about Nope is that it should have had 30 minutes trimmed from the first half. Otherwise, I highly recommend it.

An underrated part of the movie is its scale. Seems like every movie these days has to have huge end-of-the-world stakes, but Nope just takes place in a desert ranch outside of LA.
Just finished episode 3 of HoD and went in with such low expectations.

This show is the tits and it's obvious that HBO got the message in regards to how pissed people were with the trash cgi towards the end of GoT.
I remember hearing that HBO refused to get the original writers back, which is a good choice.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Saw Nope the other day, not knowing what to expect. Get Out was incredibly good, Us was a mess. The only complaint I have about Nope is that it should have had 30 minutes trimmed from the first half. Otherwise, I highly recommend it.

An underrated part of the movie is its scale. Seems like every movie these days has to have huge end-of-the-world stakes, but Nope just takes place in a desert ranch outside of LA.

I remember hearing that HBO refused to get the original writers back, which is a good choice.
Nope was fun and an original concept. It was a bit tricky in spots but definitely worth seeing for Sci-Fi fans. I had to see Get Out twice to understand it properly. It’s much more dark comedy than it is horror movie and that wasn’t my expectation headed in.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Just finished episode 3 of HoD and went in with such low expectations.

This show is the tits and it's obvious that HBO got the message in regards to how pissed people were with the trash cgi towards the end of GoT.
I expected a weak plot on top of weak costuming and just riding the coat tails of the success of GoT but holy hell they came with game. Each episode so far has had at least half the episode with content that would have been saved for the 1 in 4 episodes of GoT. I'm loving it.

Reactions: Jack Be Quick

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Finally finished The Americans.

Requires some major suspension of disbelief sometimes (the disguises are often hilarious) but I have to say that Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys gave two of the best performances I've ever seen on TV. I don't think I've ever watched a show, aside from The Sopranos, that gave relationships the respect this show gave the two leads. Mad Men is kind of a joke next to the depth here.

It's very good and almost great were it not for the 4th and 5th seasons dragging on a bit. I'm a guy who prefers taking it slow but I felt like it lacked some forward movement for a little while.
Such a great show with incredible acting.
I expected a weak plot on top of weak costuming and just riding the coat tails of the success of GoT but holy hell they came with game. Each episode so far has had at least half the episode with content that would have been saved for the 1 in 4 episodes of GoT. I'm loving it.
Matt Smith didn’t say a word all episode and he absolutely was a scene stealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad