OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Absolutely those two scumbags had lawyers there telling them what to say. But to STILL come off as rape apologists is something lmao. Wow wow wow. People are wild.
People will also minimize what they don't want to truly internalize. I am not sure I could live with myself if I aided and abetted rape. That's truly awful. Then being asked about it? I'd probably just tell them to shut the camera off and cry. Of course, I'd never get to that point as my wife would have killed me and dismembered me and had the dogs eat my body parts so there was no evidence. The kids wouldn't blame her at that point. I'm kinda old and stringy though so my wife might have to braise me or smoke me to make my parts appealing to the dogs.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
my wife might have to braise me or smoke me to make my parts appealing to the dogs.
644A8201-3603-48F5-B91A-D4E3619222DC.jpeg

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I saw an ad on a Twitch stream for a new season of Archer. They’re still making that?! I know they backtracked on the whole “season ten will be the last season” thing, but not to the point where it’s still going.

It also seems kind of harsh to do it without the voice of Mallory Archer (RIP Jessica Walter).

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
People will also minimize what they don't want to truly internalize. I am not sure I could live with myself if I aided and abetted rape. That's truly awful. Then being asked about it? I'd probably just tell them to shut the camera off and cry. Of course, I'd never get to that point as my wife would have killed me and dismembered me and had the dogs eat my body parts so there was no evidence. The kids wouldn't blame her at that point. I'm kinda old and stringy though so my wife might have to braise me or smoke me to make my parts appealing to the dogs.
You'd be shocked by what people will do for money and to avoid culpability.

Unfortunately I've seen it several times.

Many of those guys probably did cry behind closed doors, but staring down the barrel of losing a career makes people do f***ed up shit.

This guy on the other hand made so much and is 23 years removed. I'm sure all of it was him being a mouthpiece for his attorneys, but c'mon guy.

Dirtbag to the highest degree

Reactions: My3Sons

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I have a tag and it's probably the only nice watch I'll ever own as I view them as jewelry and don't have a style that would justify a 10k+ one.

The thing is a workhorse. You could probably take a slapshot and not break it.
The Tag Autavia line is my favorite from them. I had an Aquaracer for a while which was nice. I just take issue with a lot of the prices being put on these watches. Prices are set nowadays based on where the brand wants to compete... and not based on the quality and materials.

Breitling just released a new Superocean at a $1,000 price hike and it still has the same non-in house movement in it. So at that price you can get a Grand Seiko, Omega... or even spend 1K LESS and get a Tudor with all around better specs.

I saw an ad on a Twitch stream for a new season of Archer. They’re still making that?! I know they backtracked on the whole “season ten will be the last season” thing, but not to the point where it’s still going.

It also seems kind of harsh to do it without the voice of Mallory Archer (RIP Jessica Walter).
I love Archer. I'm sure they will honor her in the show.

My3Sons

Sponsor
The Tag Autavia line is my favorite from them. I had an Aquaracer for a while which was nice. I just take issue with a lot of the prices being put on these watches. Prices are set nowadays based on where the brand wants to compete... and not based on the quality and materials.

Breitling just released a new Superocean at a $1,000 price hike and it still has the same non-in house movement in it. So at that price you can get a Grand Seiko, Omega... or even spend 1K LESS and get a Tudor with all around better specs.

I love Archer. I'm sure they will honor her in the show.
I waffle on the in house movement. It sounds great until you have to get something repaired. I've sent multiple watches to my local guy who can work easily on ETA movements since they are so easy to get parts for and are more or less standardized. It's one thing to spend $700 to service a watch worth $10k on the open market, it's another thing to spend $700 to service a watch worth about $3k on the open market. At some point, the maintenance isn't worth it from a cost benefit ratio unless it's a more or less everyday watch. I don't think Breitling is trading on the movement so much as the performance of the watch. I know for a while they went garish oversized and glitzy which hurt their reputation as a serious aviation or tool watch company. They seem to be getting back to trying to be less glamorous. I will say my Superocean Steelfish is about 15 years old and runs like a top. It's constructed like Fort Knox. I'm hard on my watches and that one has banged door jams and tables and car doors and survived falls from a bicycle and any number of traumas on the golf course all without any damage or impact on the timekeeping. Really impressive. The stainless bezel has held up well and there is no insert to fail or fade as happens with many watches that have that feature. I think that to some degree my Kontiki is finished equally well as the Breitling in terms of dial and case. The Kontiki doesn't have the COSC status even though it performs quite well. That's probably the primary difference in price.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I waffle on the in house movement. It sounds great until you have to get something repaired. I've sent multiple watches to my local guy who can work easily on ETA movements since they are so easy to get parts for and are more or less standardized. It's one thing to spend $700 to service a watch worth $10k on the open market, it's another thing to spend $700 to service a watch worth about $3k on the open market. At some point, the maintenance isn't worth it from a cost benefit ratio unless it's a more or less everyday watch. I don't think Breitling is trading on the movement so much as the performance of the watch. I know for a while they went garish oversized and glitzy which hurt their reputation as a serious aviation or tool watch company. They seem to be getting back to trying to be less glamorous. I will say my Superocean Steelfish is about 15 years old and runs like a top. It's constructed like Fort Knox. I'm hard on my watches and that one has banged door jams and tables and car doors and survived falls from a bicycle and any number of traumas on the golf course all without any damage or impact on the timekeeping. Really impressive. The stainless bezel has held up well and there is no insert to fail or fade as happens with many watches that have that feature. I think that to some degree my Kontiki is finished equally well as the Breitling in terms of dial and case. The Kontiki doesn't have the COSC status even though it performs quite well. That's probably the primary difference in price.
I can agree on the servicing thing... the in house movement is great if you care about the utmost accuracy or Swiss Govt distinctions... but I just paid $500 for my Superocean to be serviced which prob would have been way more if they had a custom in house mvt.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I can agree on the servicing thing... the in house movement is great if you care about the utmost accuracy or Swiss Govt distinctions... but I just paid $500 for my Superocean to be serviced which prob would have been way more if they had a custom in house mvt.
I had a fairly extensive overhaul of my Forts GMT once. Complicated movement and all in it was maybe $150 with my local guy who does a good job. The simple service of the basic Superocean Bretiling movement at $500 is high in comparison. I'm not looking forward to sending my Superocean watch in again for service. Beyond that, I think they charge $700 or $800 to service a complicated movement. I can only imagine what they will gouge when they have you captive based on their in house movement.

My3Sons

Sponsor
It's $300 for my tag at Bloomies but it's only a ~2k piece.
Watches other than Rolexes can usually come with some sort of discount if you shop around. If the folks in Asia slow down their desperate pace of Rolex purchases I am curious how they will do going forward. Rolex has ridden the Asian market to constant sellouts and price spikes. Initially there will be some pent up demand in the US but all the flippers who have hoarded the watches here will have to unload them as the prices fall which will further the prices falling as they suddenly add to the supply. Frankly, a used watch is about the best way to buy them. There is almost nothing about a watch that breaks easily and if it's working and not beaten up you are probably good to go. Worst case you get a service once you purchase it and you still save substantially over a new one. For example, you can get a recent but more than two year old used version of an Omega Planet Ocean (a great watch in any version) for probably $3500 - $4000 compared to the $6500 you will pay at the dealer for the new one. Sure, the truly obsessed will know but 99.99% of people will just see an Omega and you will likely not notice any real difference.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Watches other than Rolexes can usually come with some sort of discount if you shop around. If the folks in Asia slow down their desperate pace of Rolex purchases I am curious how they will do going forward. Rolex has ridden the Asian market to constant sellouts and price spikes. Initially there will be some pent up demand in the US but all the flippers who have hoarded the watches here will have to unload them as the prices fall which will further the prices falling as they suddenly add to the supply. Frankly, a used watch is about the best way to buy them. There is almost nothing about a watch that breaks easily and if it's working and not beaten up you are probably good to go. Worst case you get a service once you purchase it and you still save substantially over a new one. For example, you can get a recent but more than two year old used version of an Omega Planet Ocean (a great watch in any version) for probably $3500 - $4000 compared to the $6500 you will pay at the dealer for the new one. Sure, the truly obsessed will know but 99.99% of people will just see an Omega and you will likely not notice any real difference.
I was strictly talking about the servicing but this is good info.

What are your guys opinions on Shinola? I have a soft spot for Detroit and sporty watches suit my style, but have heard mixed reviews.

And yeah, I'm aware there on the low if not lowest end when it comes to this convo.

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I had a fairly extensive overhaul of my Forts GMT once. Complicated movement and all in it was maybe $150 with my local guy who does a good job. The simple service of the basic Superocean Bretiling movement at $500 is high in comparison. I'm not looking forward to sending my Superocean watch in again for service. Beyond that, I think they charge $700 or $800 to service a complicated movement. I can only imagine what they will gouge when they have you captive based on their in house movement.
I'm just hoping if something happens to my Omega or my Tudors it's during the warranty period haha.

My3Sons

Sponsor

What are your guys opinions on Shinola? I have a soft spot for Detroit and sporty watches suit my style, but have heard mixed reviews.

And yeah, I'm aware there on the low if not lowest end when it comes to this convo.
There is enough information out there for just about any watch if you google it a bit. I've never seen a Shinola in person, but if you like it, go for it. If you like it and it speaks to you that's all that matters. I tend to wear my Eterna Kontiki Super all the time. Not that expensive in the world of Swiss watches. I have more expensive ones, but this one has some romance and history as the watch that accompanied Thor Heyerdahl on his trip on the balsa wood raft to cross the ocean to prove some point that I can't recall. To me that's cool and the watch is a bit retro as a diver. It has an easy to read dial which is good for me at my advanced age, and it keeps excellent time on a daily basis. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks about your watch. They aren't wearing it and you aren't wearing it for them.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I'm just hoping if something happens to my Omega or my Tudors it's during the warranty period haha.
I passed on the Omega for the fancy mountain bike. I'm old and need to exercise to avoid a heart attack. My old bike weighs in the mid 30s even with the smaller wheels. I went with the front suspension only this time since I'm not planning on riding anything that challenging anymore and with the carbon frame it's about 26 pounds even with the mediocre components you get with the off the rack purchase. I will eventually put on a new fork and maybe a carbon seat post and saddle and handlebar and maybe even carbon wheels at which point I can probably get the bike down to around 23 pounds. That's light enough that as I get older I can handle it easily and lift it easily onto a car rack or whatever. Still a Planet Ocean GMT would have been pretty sweet.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space

i'll fix that - coming in hot on the low end of the watch spectrum is my daily wear -

Freestyle Watches | Water Resistant Watches | Home of the Shark Watch I wear the clip but looks like my colorway is no longer made

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Well Animal Kingdom just finished with their series finale. The finale was disjointed and rushed but overall pretty decent. The show was really good IMO but the last two seasons weren't nearly as good as the first few. Worth a shot if anyone wants something a little bit under the radar.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Finally got to see Rammstein live again Saturday (was supposed to see them in 2020 but the pandemic pushed it back twice to this year) and damn they still put on a show. I haven't been that deaf after a concert for a long time.:laugh:

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Apparently the only reason my wife and I are still watching The Bear is because I want to watch it. She doesn’t like that nothing happens in it. I understand the critique but I’m a major sucker for shows and movies shot uncomfortably close and claustrophobic. It makes me like things a lot more than I should. The movie Shiva Baby is a good example of that as well.

I’m not sure why I like that style. Maybe because it’s really good at creating tension.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Well Animal Kingdom just finished with their series finale. The finale was disjointed and rushed but overall pretty decent. The show was really good IMO but the last two seasons weren't nearly as good as the first few. Worth a shot if anyone wants something a little bit under the radar.
I haven’t watched the finale yet but I agree especially about this season. Easily my least liked season to this point and rushed is an understatement. This is the type of show where you have to allow crazy things to happen but man are the writers leaving lots of plot holes that distract me. For the last few seasons I was really enjoying the flashbacks and thought they were done so well that they could make a whole show out of them. Damn, you really learn to hate Smurf if you didn’t already.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I have always wanted to collect watches , or at the very least have one nice one . It would be something I could daily wear if I wanted to. I’m just not sure what that would be for sure . It would have to be something I am very pumped to get and I have a iersinsl attachment to / absolutely dig it .

That ship has sailed though I think . I just don’t have the disposable $$$ . Only way I could cut it is if I sell my other hobby / investments first . However right now it’s a shitty time to sell. It’s embarrassing but I have quite a good chunk invested in comics and hockey cards lol.
I had a McDavid SP Authentic FWA black edition w/ gold auto . Bought it for $3300 and sold for $6k . It’s worth around 15+ now …. I sold a lot too early .

I have a pretty damn good J Hughes collection going. If I sold all the high end ones individually , I’d say market value is around $15k USD.

This is more my style / price range ( maybe not …. I could see it being done stupid collectable/ rare watch that came out when SpongeBob first came out and is now worth a shit load lol)
A90592A4-39E5-4EA1-9F3B-937D7D9DBF39.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad