OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Kids today are clueless... I hate to say that because I just turned 35 and already feel super old haha.

They either listen to techno or hip hop or will claim something like Imagine Dragons is "rock" which is a travesty.

Just got back from Montreal last night... the wife and I saw Rammstein along with our usual exploring and restaurants in the city. Rammstein was unbelievable. Third time seeing them but it was the best. Even though it was outdoors it was by far the loudest concert I've ever been to. Seeing Rage and then Rammstein in the span of two weeks has been incredible.

Also, I had some work to do in upstate New York on the way home (visiting commercial properties owned by a specific bank to assess their current use/occupancy/condition you don't care) and we were on Rt 9G around the Ticonderoga area and a gigantic black bear was on the side of the road looking to cross. I of course rolled down the window and yelled HI! I am fully aware that if I wasn't in the car, I would have approached the bear in an attempt to high five and/or cuddle. I would have been murdered and it absolutely would have been my fault. Happy Tuesday!
You had me until you said you were 35. Nobody cares about your old timey opinions you fossil. That bear wouldn’t have mauled you because he would have been repulsed by your old man yellow overgrown toenails. Your day has come and gone.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
You had me until you said you were 35. Nobody cares about your old timey opinions you fossil. That bear wouldn’t have mauled you because he would have been repulsed by your old man yellow overgrown toenails. Your day has come and gone.
I do need to trim my big toenail... it's like a talon. You have exposed me. Get a job hippie!

Reactions: My3Sons

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I know I've talked to some of you about watches before... a collector or two in here. Here's a shot of my three new additions in 2022.

Attachments

• 2022 Trio.jpg
    2022 Trio.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 5

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Kids today are clueless... I hate to say that because I just turned 35 and already feel super old haha.

They either listen to techno or hip hop or will claim something like Imagine Dragons is "rock" which is a travesty.

Just got back from Montreal last night... the wife and I saw Rammstein along with our usual exploring and restaurants in the city. Rammstein was unbelievable. Third time seeing them but it was the best. Even though it was outdoors it was by far the loudest concert I've ever been to. Seeing Rage and then Rammstein in the span of two weeks has been incredible.

Also, I had some work to do in upstate New York on the way home (visiting commercial properties owned by a specific bank to assess their current use/occupancy/condition you don't care) and we were on Rt 9G around the Ticonderoga area and a gigantic black bear was on the side of the road looking to cross. I of course rolled down the window and yelled HI! I am fully aware that if I wasn't in the car, I would have approached the bear in an attempt to high five and/or cuddle. I would have been murdered and it absolutely would have been my fault. Happy Tuesday!
Idk man. Idles have blown up recently.

I think the real distinction between this generation and previous ones is that they listen to everything where as when we were growing up you were pretty locked into one, maybe two scenes.

I saw Bikini Kill recently and there was plenty of new blood there.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Idk man. Idles have blown up recently.

I think the real distinction between this generation and previous ones is that they listen to everything where as when I was growing up you were pretty locked into one, maybe two scenes.

I saw Bikini Kill recently and there was plenty of new blood there.

I definitely agree there... due in part to streaming and access to music.
Back when I was in high school, we had to buy CDs of bands we already knew and then just put them in the 12 CD holder in the visor of the car and rotate them.
Now on your phone you have access to practically every piece of music made EVER. A lot of bands I listen to were suggested to me on Spotify and I would never have found them otherwise.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets

It's not that kids listen to hip-hop, it's that they listen to low energy mumbling bullshit hip-hop. Try turning the dial to a rap station. It's the single worst musical experience you can have. It all sounds the same! Isn't the entire point of rap to sound distinct? Say what you will about rap in the early 2000s- it certainly wasn't the peak of the genre- but dammit, it was fun and you knew the artists had fun doing it.

And you're not giving kids today enough credit. They also like listening to whatever song that TikTok is making into a meme.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

Seems like every generation says that about the next one but there are plenty of kids today that are still into "rock" music that isn't as main stream as Imagine Dragons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oneiro and NjDevsRR

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It's not that kids listen to hip-hop, it's that they listen to low energy mumbling bullshit hip-hop. Try turning the dial to a rap station. It's the single worst musical experience you can have. It all sounds the same! Isn't the entire point of rap to sound distinct? Say what you will about rap in the early 2000s- it certainly wasn't the peak of the genre- but dammit, it was fun and you knew the artists had fun doing it.

And you're not giving kids today enough credit. They also like listening to whatever song that TikTok is making into a meme.
Kendrick, Cardi B, and Drake mumble and aren't high energy?

:laugh:

I could go on but think you get the point.

Also, the early 00's was a void when it comes to that genre. Besides Outkast I can't think of any non-synth driven auto tuned garbage.

The 90's are a different story.

EDIT: if your looking for shit that slaps J Cole, Future, jpgmafia, Danny Brown, ASAP Rocky, etc etc.

Seems like every generation says that about the next one but there are plenty of kids today that are still into "rock" music that isn't as main stream as Imagine Dragons.
Yup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Satans Hockey

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I agree there... My father listened to the Allman Brothers, Rolling Stones, the Dead, Beatles, and so on and he definitely is not a fan of the metal or emo music I listen to.

That being said I also love the Allman Brothers and Stones... and I listen to a log of bluegrass and folk music as well. Even with the metal and emo music I listen to it's musicians that write and create their own stuff from scratch playing the instruments and so on.

Maybe I'm a snob but that still beats the absolute hell out of any of the "popular" music today that was created by record labels in a board room.

A lot of genres have suffered. Rock, metal, punk suffered because it's impossible for these small bands to get exposure. Country music has suffered a TON because they have all turned into generic shit. I laugh because 99.99% of the country songs I hear today are the same exact songs rearranged. One song will have the references to boots, beer, or trucks in the second verse instead of the first.

I feel like music is in the worst shape it's been in for years.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I agree there... My father listened to the Allman Brothers, Rolling Stones, the Dead, Beatles, and so on and he definitely is not a fan of the metal or emo music I listen to.

That being said I also love the Allman Brothers and Stones... and I listen to a log of bluegrass and folk music as well. Even with the metal and emo music I listen to it's musicians that write and create their own stuff from scratch playing the instruments and so on.

Maybe I'm a snob but that still beats the absolute hell out of any of the "popular" music today that was created by record labels in a board room.

A lot of genres have suffered. Rock, metal, punk suffered because it's impossible for these small bands to get exposure. Country music has suffered a TON because they have all turned into generic shit. I laugh because 99.99% of the country songs I hear today are the same exact songs rearranged. One song will have the references to boots, beer, or trucks in the second verse instead of the first.

I feel like music is in the worst shape it's been in for years.
Patently false. Back in the day artists were locked into contracts with major labels who had veto power over your library. And if you weren't you were probably going nowhere.

People these days have significantly more creative control, a wide array of platforms to release their music on, and endless possibilities for collaborations due to the digital revolution.

I'd also argue that Americana (Jason Isbell, Sturgell Simpson), folk (Bon Iver, Case McCombs), and bluegrass (Carolina Chocolate Drops) have had a significant revival in the last decade +.

Country is apparently lost though, so I have to agree with that.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I love music but am by no means an expert or knowledgeable about it. Not even close . Some of you guys here have forgot about more music related info than I have ever learned . The way you guys can rattle off every member in hundreds of different bands is incredible . That and know the major or iconic consort venues etc etc .
It’s embarrassing to admit to “ true “ music lovers but I mainly just have listened to the mainstream or popular songs by the mainstream bands . Example - top 100 stuff from the time of Led zyp , CCR etc. and I have not really listened to any B side stuff by any of the major artists , just usually stick to their hits .
I’m sure there are some bands I like that have next to no artistic ability but fir some reason I still like them .
My main go-to bands are all over the place .
From CCR and Zepplin to Punk bands like No Use For A Name Lagwagon to grunge like STP and Alice in chains to metal like Tool / Rage / Metallica to some older rap / hip hop like NWA etc .
Then random rock stuff from the 60’s snd 70’s mainly .
About the only thing I cannot listen to is country and jazz but I dont mind “some of the older country stuff.
Jazz

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Patently false. Back in the day artists were locked into contracts with major labels who had veto power over your library. And if you weren't you were probably going nowhere.

People these days have significantly more creative control and a wide array of platforms to release their music on.

I'd also argue that Americana, folk, and bluegrass have had a significant revival in the last decade +.

Country is apparently lost though, so I have to agree with that.
While I agree with the bolded, those record labels that were choking artists and controlling them also gave them the exposure that made them famous.

Sure musicians have way more freedom but that absolutely does not translate into success.

Also, those platforms that musicians such as myself or any other artist can use absolutely don't pay well at all.
For example, I've released two albums. On just Spotify, I have about 3,200 streams on those two albums worth of songs. I made $24. That doesn't even cover the cost of the cable to plug my guitar in haha.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
While I agree with the bolded, those record labels that were choking artists and controlling them also gave them the exposure that made them famous.

Sure musicians have way more freedom but that absolutely does not translate into success.

Also, those platforms that musicians such as myself or any other artist can use absolutely don't pay well at all.
For example, I've released two albums. On just Spotify, I have about 3,200 streams on those two albums worth of songs. I made $24. That doesn't even cover the cost of the cable to plug my guitar in haha.
You guys are absolutely being ripped off by Spotify and I'm genuinely sorry for that.

But if we're talking about exposure we're pretty much at the peak. Those random playlists and suggestions are definitely selling tickets and merch that Geffen or Warner Bros may have thrown in the trash.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
You guys are absolutely being ripped off by Spotify and I'm genuinely sorry for that.

But if we're talking about exposure we're pretty much at the peak. Those random playlists and suggestions are definitely selling tickets and merch that Geffen or Warner Bros may have thrown in the trash.
Despite being ripped off by Spotify, they have stuck some of my stuff on random playlists and that has definitely gotten my music exposure it would not have had otherwise even though they don't really pay for it. I keep telling myself the end goal is for the "right people" to hear my music and not exactly an amount of people.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Interesting to read everyone's thoughts on music.

If you've got the time, Brian Eno sort of talks about some of this stuff in terms of smell (I know it's a weird lead-in...) in an article he wrote a while back: Details Magazine: Scents and Sensibility

Clearly it's fractured now. No more monoculture. There's likely too much user control - the serendipitous thing of walking around and hearing something bold is pretty rare. The Spotify, trend/pattern-seeking approach places too much focus on the user's habits when half the joy of music and art is hearing something that seems alien to you and kind of f***s you up inside because of how different it is. So for me, what you need are records and artists that bridge worlds - gateway songwriters.

I just think that records are more personal and particular these days and that will be their strength and weakness, whereas stuff in the past was a lot narrower in scope and texture but polished in terms of craft. What many labels did in the past was develop talent and give them resources as they grew. But most of that stopped once the MBAs entered the industry in the early 80s. Stevie Wonder would've never been allowed to get to the Talking Book era, Marvin Gaye, Stones, Yardbirds, etc. because of the bean counters.

I'm not going to argue about eras - it's clear that music is one of those things where people anchor to their childhood and teen years and that colors how they view everything else. I'm 35 as well so for me, I don't have a problem with sequenced, electronic drums, synths, samples, more abstract stuff, etc. vs. people playing in a room together. And most of my favorite music brings those things together. For me, one of the last peaks of classic, big studio record-making was the late 90s, early 00s, when you had Beck - Sea Change, D'Angelo - Voodoo, Radiohead - OK Computer / Kid A, Aimee Mann - Lost in Space, Deftones - White Pony, Mars Volta's first record, Bjork, etc. On top of the stuff Madlib, J Dilla, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Burial, etc. did independently.

There are still great records made, they just might not be to someone's taste. I think time will be very kind to Alabama Shakes Sound & Color, a lot of James Blake, St. Vincent, Flying Lotus, Perfume Genius, Laura Marling, etc. It's the lack of money and time that's stunting the growth of a lot of young artists. The big thing that I'm hearing as a flaw is that most young artists' harmonic vocabulary is very weak, meaning their chord changes and melodies are kind of played out or simplistic, while the surface-level stuff, the production and effects and techniques are what's bold. You develop that by listening to a f*** ton of records and then working enough to build your own style that no one can mimic. But that's hard to do when your overhead to simply function as an adult is so high and the culture is actively antagonistic to things that don't generate "return." And going on tour is even more expensive now, printing shirts / posters, etc. The overhead even if you did your whole set on a laptop is still wild. People just have an attitude towards music that's more like their attitude towards water or air. It's flattering in a way but because music becomes more a part of their life than most other mediums, there's a tendency to devalue it.

Anyway. I'm really liking The Smile and Spoon's latest records, good ones from vet artists. I also really love this post-punky band from Brooklyn called Activity.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Turning the dial? Okay old man.:sarcasm:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Also watched the Woodstock 99 doc.

John Scher, verified POS. Making excuses for the rape that took place. Just…wow. Imagine willingly being a rape apologist on camera for millions to see. Those promoters two decades later are still in denial. Just insane stuff.

Now onto, Malice at the Palace.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Back to the hip hop convo for a minute.

All star lineup and you can't convince me a few of these guys don't hold up against some of the greats from years past:

You've got Harlem, LA, Brooklyn, Mississippi, Alabama, and Detroit represented on that track.

Inconceivable back in the day.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor

John Scher, verified POS. Making excuses for the rape that took place. Just…wow. Imagine willingly being a rape apologist on camera for millions to see. Those promoters two decades later are still in denial. Just insane stuff.

I really didn’t want to watch that documentary but I might have to now. Typically when someone does something stupid like drfend rape they are either in self denial because they don’t want to confront their own tole in how things went down or their lawyer told them not to admit anything. Not everyone is smart enough to pull that off though.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

My3Sons

Sponsor
I know I've talked to some of you about watches before... a collector or two in here. Here's a shot of my three new additions in 2022.
This may be more thread about nothing discussion but I like a nice watch and those are all fantastic. Each a bit different. I’m a dive watch guy so I’m partial to your Omega but the IVC and GS are probably ahead of thr Onega in terms of finishing. That’s a big investment in three watches in one year. I haven’t gotten a watch in some time. I find I only wear my Eterna Kontiki dive watch lately and thr others are sitting around in my watch box. My watches can’t hold a candle to yours but I have a Fortis Fliger GMT which is handy while traveling, a Valjoux 7750 chronograph from Victorinox, a Breitling Steelfish that is like a tank and the watch I recommend to anyone who just wants one watch to last forever, a military Royal Navy style watch, a Hanhart Flieger style chronograph which is nice but a bit small for my taste, and a couple of miscellaneous watches I can’t recall. Never got a Rolex and did recently pass on an Omega because I decided I needed a new bike more. Great hobby as long as you buy wisely.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
This may be more thread about nothing discussion but I like a nice watch and those are all fantastic. Each a bit different. I’m a dive watch guy so I’m partial to your Omega but the IVC and GS are probably ahead of thr Onega in terms of finishing. That’s a big investment in three watches in one year. I haven’t gotten a watch in some time. I find I only wear my Eterna Kontiki dive watch lately and thr others are sitting around in my watch box. My watches can’t hold a candle to yours but I have a Fortis Fliger GMT which is handy while traveling, a Valjoux 7750 chronograph from Victorinox, a Breitling Steelfish that is like a tank and the watch I recommend to anyone who just wants one watch to last forever, a military Royal Navy style watch, a Hanhart Flieger style chronograph which is nice but a bit small for my taste, and a couple of miscellaneous watches I can’t recall. Never got a Rolex and did recently pass on an Omega because I decided I needed a new bike more. Great hobby as long as you buy wisely.
Yeah I consistently mix up these threads LOL.

Love your collection. Price is not something anyone should measure a watch collection by. People spend insane money on Hublots and they are trash. Tag Heuer is priced in competition with Tudor, Breitling, Omega and they are a million miles BEHIND those brands in quality. Your Breitling is a nice one too. I have the Superocean 2 from a few years ago but they are such good beater watches and feel indestructible.

Eterna, Fortis, Victorinox, Hanhart... all brands with history and qualities usually only recognized by people that know what they are talking about. The Valjoux 7750 movement is a great movement too. I have a Ball Fireman Stormchaser Pro with that movement.

The Grand Seiko I just got is absolutely stunning in person. The dial is made of ivory. I just got it at Maison Birks in Montreal on Friday and was walking down the street just staring at it on my wrist not paying attention to anything else. The IWC I got a Watches of Switzerland in NYC and it's titanium which makes it super light. It also has an iron layer behind the dial to protect it from electro magnetic pulses and magnetic interference.

I've wanted a Rolex for a long time and am on the waiting list for the Explorer 2 with the white dial and the Deep Sea... but now that the watch market is coming down from the high it has been on, people are starting to sour on Rolex. The scarcity and the absolute BS pulled by authorized dealers on who they want to sell the watches to went from having a feeling of exclusivity and mystique to now being extremely annoying and turning people off.

Mike Lang came off as an absolute jerkoff in the Netflix one. Kept the line of "a few bad apples" when asked about the rape and sexual assault. Crazy he passed away right after filming that.

I think the HBO one is better. They showed Dexter from the Offspring asking the fans to not sexually assault women that are crowd surfing and that highlighted that the artists really saw the problems that were forming early in the festival. Netflix didn't talk to enough people or show enough of the early problems.

My biggest takeaway was that by the last day... they almost got away with the whole thing. While bad things were absolutely happening, they almost got through the whole thing without it turning into anarchy... until they decided to hand out 100k candles essentially asking people to light the place on fire. Probably one of the worst decisions made in human history.

My3Sons

Sponsor

Love your collection. Price is not something anyone should measure a watch collection by. People spend insane money on Hublots and they are trash. Tag Heuer is priced in competition with Tudor, Breitling, Omega and they are a million miles BEHIND those brands in quality. Your Breitling is a nice one too. I have the Superocean 2 from a few years ago but they are such good beater watches and feel indestructible.

Eterna, Fortis, Victorinox, Hanhart... all brands with history and qualities usually only recognized by people that know what they are talking about. The Valjoux 7750 movement is a great movement too. I have a Ball Fireman Stormchaser Pro with that movement.

The Grand Seiko I just got is absolutely stunning in person. The dial is made of ivory. I just got it at Maison Birks in Montreal on Friday and was walking down the street just staring at it on my wrist not paying attention to anything else. The IWC I got a Watches of Switzerland in NYC and it's titanium which makes it super light. It also has an iron layer behind the dial to protect it from electro magnetic pulses and magnetic interference.

I've wanted a Rolex for a long time and am on the waiting list for the Explorer 2 with the white dial and the Deep Sea... but now that the watch market is coming down from the high it has been on, people are starting to sour on Rolex. The scarcity and the absolute BS pulled by authorized dealers on who they want to sell the watches to went from having a feeling of exclusivity and mystique to now being extremely annoying and turning people off.

Mike Lang came off as an absolute jerkoff in the Netflix one. Kept the line of "a few bad apples" when asked about the rape and sexual assault. Crazy he passed away right after filming that.

I think the HBO one is better. They showed Dexter from the Offspring asking the fans to not sexually assault women that are crowd surfing and that highlighted that the artists really saw the problems that were forming early in the festival. Netflix didn't talk to enough people or show enough of the early problems.

My biggest takeaway was that by the last day... they almost got away with the whole thing. While bad things were absolutely happening, they almost got through the whole thing without it turning into anarchy... until they decided to hand out 100k candles essentially asking people to light the place on fire. Probably one of the worst decisions made in human history.
You could probably hand out candles at Jazziest in New Orleans and get away with it but definitely a different crowd.

as for the watches, I would love an IWC Aquatimer Cousteau chrono. Maybe someday after I'm done putting all three boys through school. I'd also love a Lemania 5100 movement chrono for the history of it. There are a few watches that used it up until the early 2000s but at this point they are also old and apparently replacement parts aren't readily available and you have to go to a specialty watchmaker to have parts made from scratch. That's a bit more than I think I want to bite off. Have you noticed that brands are moving back to their own movements now that ETA won't sell to everyone and I guess Sellita is not seen on the same level as a standardized movement maker? That is going to change things and we will see which makers can produce a good movement that is accurate and reliable. My money is on Eterna's new movement as being a good one as it's always been their bread and butter. I saw that the small German brand, Damasko, has made its own movement. That's ambitious for a little brand. That Grand Seiko is a marvel of watchmaking. Everything is fussed over. Their designs are too delicate or dressy for my laste but I recognize the skill and finesse they are made with. I bet if you compare them to anything Swiss they are probably on par with the Pateks and Mullers and really tip top brands at a much better price.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

I think the HBO one is better. They showed Dexter from the Offspring asking the fans to not sexually assault women that are crowd surfing and that highlighted that the artists really saw the problems that were forming early in the festival. Netflix didn't talk to enough peoplekk or show enough of the early problems.

I have a tag and it's probably the only nice watch I'll ever own as I view them as jewelry and don't have a style that would justify a 10k+ one.

The thing is a workhorse. You could probably take a slapshot and not break it.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I really didn’t want to watch that documentary but I might have to now. Typically when someone does something stupid like drfend rape they are either in self denial because they don’t want to confront their own tole in how things went down or their lawyer told them not to admit anything. Not everyone is smart enough to pull that off though.
Absolutely those two scumbags had lawyers there telling them what to say. But to STILL come off as rape apologists is something lmao. Wow wow wow. People are wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad