OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I’m at the point where I have favorite moments from the shows I’ve seen. Some Peter Gabriel at the Beacon (Digging in the Dirt) some U2 at MSG (opening with Bullet thr Blue Sky). The Police playing Synchronicity 2 on the Synchronicity tour and Elephant Talk from Kjng Crimson with Auden Belew come to mind as does Paul McCatney playing Back in thr USSR. Honorable mention for Warren Zevon playing raspberry beret. Best overall show and it’s not even close was Bruce at the Meadowlands when he played everything you wanted and I was in the third row. I didn’t even like Bruce walking into the show. Really powerful but I’m sure being third row had something to do with it. Man am I old.
You sound like two my older brothers with some of those bands, Peter Gabriel and King Crimson was a bit before my time, pretty solid though with Zevon and the Police, wish I saw some of that stuff. I did see Genesis Abacab tour at Giant Stadium, people think it's cheese but it was pretty damn solid. I'm jealous of them though, they saw a ton of bands back in the late 70's and 80's like Zappa, Jethro Tull, old U2 and the Clash (would have killed to see them) that I'll never get to see. They saw Steve Hacket over the winter, it's crazy, a lot of these guys are still around and playing.

It's odd cause I would have loved to see Led Zep but they didn't care and were into all this weird shit like Zappa, Gentle Giant and old Genesis and Gabriel, a lot of prog rock stuff. I will say that Pink Floyd at Giant Stadium in 91 was really really good, up there for some of the best stuff I've seen.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You sound like two my older brothers with some of those bands, Peter Gabriel and King Crimson was a bit before my time, pretty solid though with Zevon and the Police, wish I saw some of that stuff. I did see Genesis Abacab tour at Giant Stadium, people think it's cheese but it was pretty damn solid. I'm jealous of them though, they saw a ton of bands back in the late 70's and 80's like Zappa, Jethro Tull, old U2 and the Clash (would have killed to see them) that I'll never get to see. They saw Steve Hacket over the winter, it's crazy, a lot of these guys are still around and playing.

It's odd cause I would have loved to see Led Zep but they didn't care and were into all this weird shit like Zappa, Gentle Giant and old Genesis and Gabriel, a lot of prog rock stuff. I will say that Pink Floyd at Giant Stadium in 91 was really really good, up there for some of the best stuff I've seen.
I am a bit too young (believe it or not) to have seen the Clash and Talking Heads or Zeppelin. I had a couple of friends I frequented shows with and so out choices reflected our eclectic tastes. One of my buddies was a guitarist so he insisted we see the King Crimsons and such. I saw Genesis at Giants stadium in 1992 or 1993. It was fun and better than I expected. I saw Roger Waters in 1984 or 1985 just after he left Pink Floyd but I never saw the Gilmour Floyd and I’m kicking myself for that now. I’m taking my youngest to see Waters in October and I’m happy he gets to see him but I’ve told my wife if Gilmour comes back to the US if I can take him we are going period. I doubt that ever happens. I will also say that your outlook changes as you get older. I had no interest in seeing Plant and Page when they toured with the Egyptian orchestra. I watched thr filmed performance on MTV or VH1 at some point and it didn’t wow me. I saw Plant a few year ago at Preservation Hall which hold about 50 people. I sat about 5 feet from him. He didn’t play much up tempo stuff but it was still a great experience if not a great concert from a set list or technical perspective.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah they played with Fishbone a lot early on, they should have had more success than those RHCP turds had.
chili's are just hanging on nowadays.....shell of their former selves .....

much like U2..... early U2 terrific.....later U2, f***ing terrible slop just going through the motions within irrelevance
Keith Morris also sang for them for a show in the early 80's because Anthony whatever his name is was off f***ed up on H somewhere.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Yeah they played with Fishbone a lot early on, they should have had more success than those RHCP turds had.

much like U2..... early U2 terrific.....later U2, f***ing terrible slop
Keith Morris also sang for them for a show in the early 80's because Anthony whatever his name is was off f***ed up on H somewhere.

speaking of H

ever see this movie? its been so long since i have

My3Sons

Sponsor

much like U2..... early U2 terrific.....later U2, f***ing terrible slop just going through the motions within irrelevance
To be fair that’s true of almost every group that hangs around long enough. When I took my youngest to see the Stones recently when the band came out he looked at me and asked “why is Keith dressed like grandma?” He wasn’t wrong.

Reactions: JK3

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I am a bit too young (believe it or not) to have seen the Clash and Talking Heads or Zeppelin. I had a couple of friends I frequented shows with and so out choices reflected our eclectic tastes. One of my buddies was a guitarist so he insisted we see the King Crimsons and such. I saw Genesis at Giants stadium in 1992 or 1993. It was fun and better than I expected. I saw Roger Waters in 1984 or 1985 just after he left Pink Floyd but I never saw the Gilmour Floyd and I’m kicking myself for that now. I’m taking my youngest to see Waters in October and I’m happy he gets to see him but I’ve told my wife if Gilmour comes back to the US if I can take him we are going period. I doubt that ever happens. I will also say that your outlook changes as you get older. I had no interest in seeing Plant and Page when they toured with the Egyptian orchestra. I watched thr filmed performance on MTV or VH1 at some point and it didn’t wow me. I saw Plant a few year ago at Preservation Hall which hold about 50 people. I sat about 5 feet from him. He didn’t play much up tempo stuff but it was still a great experience if not a great concert from a set list or technical perspective.
I really liked Gilmore Floyd, he sounded amazing back then but Rodger is still kicking around. His voice is kinda shot from some of the stuff I’ve heard lately but still you HAVE to go if you can with your family.

I saw Page and Plants solo tours in the late 80’s. Pretty good but you were hoping for some Zeppelin stuff but that never happened. I mentioned this before but Stevie Ray Vaughan opened for one of them, can’t remember which cause as the opening act he blew them out of the freaking water lol. We were like holy shit who is this dude, so glad we went in early.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I really liked Gilmore Floyd, he sounded amazing back then but Rodger is still kicking around. His voice is kinda shot from some of the stuff I’ve heard lately but still you HAVE to go if you can with your family.

I saw Page and Plants solo tours in the late 80’s. Pretty good but you were hoping for some Zeppelin stuff but that never happened. I mentioned this before but Stevie Ray Vaughan opened for one of them, can’t remember which cause as the opening act he blew them out of the freaking water lol. We were like holy shit who is this dude, so glad we went in early.
I never saw SRV and regret that. When my oldest is a bit older I’ll take him to see Tedeschi Trucks. Right now it might be a bit too mellow for a teenager

Reactions: JK3

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
One my favorite bands and the best live show I've ever seen was Fishbone in a small club down on LBI back in the mid 90's. These guys were and are just a super talented band that could play just about style of music, any of you younger guys who haven't listened to them should check out their catalog.

It's a shame they never got the recognition and commercial success although they did get to a ton of respect from their peers over all these years but they really deserved a lot more.

Saw them at Warped Tour in Asbury in I'm going to say 96.

Great performers.

LBI back in the day? That must've been a hell of a weekend.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

I never saw SRV and regret that. When my oldest is a bit older I’ll take him to see Tedeschi Trucks. Right now it might be a bit too mellow for a teenager

srv doing little wing and 3rd stone from the sun... 15 minutes of some real 'guitarted' stuff

Reactions: My3Sons and JK3

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm a generation younger than the previous few posters but here are the shows that blew me away.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs filling in for the Beastie Boys at Lollapalooza because Yauch was essentially on his death bed. Given all the Brooklyn connection it was pretty emotional, she expressed that, and f***ing nailed it.

Les Savy Fav, LCD Soundsystem, and Arcade Fire on Randall's Island before most people knew or cared about them. I'm guessing '07 or so.

Richie Hawtin in a parking garage in Detroit in '02.

TNGHT at the Williamsburg Music Hall.

Griz, so much Griz. Holy Ship in particular. His shows are worth every penny.

Social Distortion at the Pony in again, probably '96.

Future in Barcelona (primavera sound).

Pulp on the Coachella cruise was absolutely outrageous. The injuries were crazy because those dipshits booked a boat that had a theater without a dancefloor.

I could do this for days.

I'm trying to see the boss for the first time on his next tour. Unfortunately it will probably be at Barclays because those tickets are the most reasonably priced.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'm a generation younger than the previous few posters but here are the shows that blew me away.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs filling in for the Beastie Boys at Lollapalooza because Yauch was essentially on his death bed. Given all the Brooklyn connection it was pretty emotional, she expressed that, and f***ing nailed it.

Les Savy Fav, LCD Soundsystem, and Arcade Fire on Randall's Island before most people knew or cared about them. I'm guessing '07 or so.

Richie Hawtin in a parking garage in Detroit in '02.

TNGHT at the Williamsburg Music Hall.

Griz, so much Griz. Holy Ship in particular. His shows are worth every penny.

Social Distortion at the Pony in again, probably '96.

Future in Barcelona (primavera sound).

Pulp on the Coachella cruise was absolutely outrageous. The injuries were crazy because those dipshits booked a boat that had a theater without a dancefloor.

I could do this for days.

I'm trying to see the boss for the first time on his next tour. Unfortunately it will probably be at Barclays because those tickets are the most reasonably priced.

wow on that richie hawtin show

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Saw them at Warped Tour in Asbury in I'm going to say 96.

Great performers.

LBI back in the day? That must've been a hell of a weekend.
Yeah great performers for sure. It was a blast back then, place called The Ketch, only place there that actually had real bands every now and then. Saw Live there, G Love, Fishbone, Long Beach Dub All Stars a couple years ago.

For some reason I think you’re from Brooklyn? If so did you know a band called 2 Skinnee J’s?

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Yeah great performers for sure. It was a blast back then, place called The Ketch, only place there that actually had real bands every now and then. Saw Live there, G Love, Fishbone, Long Beach Dub All Stars a couple years ago.

For some reason I think you’re from Brooklyn? If so did you know a band called 2 Skinnee J’s?
I'm from the shore (Ocean County) but have been in Brooklyn for about 23 years.

Live must've been a cool experience as well if it was in the 90's. I had no idea there was a venue down there as I usually headed north for shows.

The pipeline in Newark was my jam and I had no business being there as a teenager in the 90's. :laugh:

I know of 2 skinny but never got into them for whatever reason.

EDIT: the only artists who resided here I've met in a social setting are gaga, Florence, the Casualties, and a few b level indie rock bands.

Last edited:

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I'm from the shore (Ocean County) but have been in Brooklyn for about 23 years.

Live must've been a cool experience as well if it was in the 90's. I had no idea there was a venue down there as I usually headed north for shows.

The pipeline in Newark was my jam and I had no business being there as a teenager in the 90's. :laugh:

I know of 2 skinny but never got into them for whatever reason.
Ahh ok cool, 2 Skinnees where great.

My friend Larry from Niblick Henbane played at the Pipeline all the time back then, punk, hardcore, NJ Oi type stuff. Im friends with Johnny from Headwound too who was in that whole scene. I used to surf with those guys all the time, they’re still playing stuff to this day but in a couple different bands.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
The Ween show I went to on Valentine’s Day 2020 was excellent. Not just because they’re awesome live, but because those two NYC dates were their last for over a year, as COVID hit when they were preparing to do a date in Vegas that March.

As far as other things go, The Rehearsal is a trip. It’s very funny but just as unsettling, especially when it gets into the last couple of episodes.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Ahh ok cool, 2 Skinnees where great.

My friend Larry from Niblick Henbane played at the Pipeline all the time back then, punk, hardcore, NJ Oi type stuff. Im friends with Johnny from Headwound too who was in that whole scene. I used to surf with those guys all the time, they’re still playing stuff to this day but in a couple different bands.
Oi, my man. I don't recall if I saw Oi Polloi open for One Way System or saw them independently there.

Any chance you knew Manny?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I forgot about NIN in Baltimore and Radiohead in JC.

Thank you all for bringing me back to these places.

NIN was one of my favorite bands to see live. First saw them back at MSG in '94 with Marilyn Manson opening. Show got delayed by a night as there was a bus accident that broke the finger of the guitarist. Unfortunately, they didn't announce that until shortly before the show was supposed to get started. Still, great show. Coincidentally, I'm going back to MSG for a concert for the first time since that show tonight to see Twenty One Pilots.

Never got a chance to see Radiohead in concert, though was at SNL when they played The National Anthem and Idioteque back in 2001 with Kate Hudson hosting. Was quite the combo ;)

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Love Rage. They were the go-to band that we would play in the dressing room before games when I was a teenager.
I wonder what todays teenaged kids think of them or if they know who they are?
What would be todays version of Rage ?
Kids today are clueless... I hate to say that because I just turned 35 and already feel super old haha.

They either listen to techno or hip hop or will claim something like Imagine Dragons is "rock" which is a travesty.

Just got back from Montreal last night... the wife and I saw Rammstein along with our usual exploring and restaurants in the city. Rammstein was unbelievable. Third time seeing them but it was the best. Even though it was outdoors it was by far the loudest concert I've ever been to. Seeing Rage and then Rammstein in the span of two weeks has been incredible.

Also, I had some work to do in upstate New York on the way home (visiting commercial properties owned by a specific bank to assess their current use/occupancy/condition you don't care) and we were on Rt 9G around the Ticonderoga area and a gigantic black bear was on the side of the road looking to cross. I of course rolled down the window and yelled HI! I am fully aware that if I wasn't in the car, I would have approached the bear in an attempt to high five and/or cuddle. I would have been murdered and it absolutely would have been my fault. Happy Tuesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad