OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Anyone watch the Manti Te'o doc yet? It's really good except for one thing IMO. They tried to make the catfishing person wayyyyy too sympathetic. That person cost Te'o millions and literally altered his life.
Watching this now. Lots of Dano faces over here.

Reactions: Billdo

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Better Call Saul

what a shit plot hole. Go to prison for life because she somehow can't figure out how to file for bankruptcy? Garbage. Boarderline Dexter ending.

Edit: no one, and I mean no one on this planet would choose life in a super max just so his criminal broad wouldn't get sued. It's ridiculous.

And he didn't even get a handy.

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Better Call Saul

Woof. (Insert Dano face) A take that is Definitely in the minority.

You are completely glossing over the entire theme of why he became Saul. I won’t further expand on it to avoid ruining it for others (DM me if you want the rundown). At least give it another thought because you are way off here and completely missed the point.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

You are completely glossing over the entire theme of why he became Saul. I won’t further expand on it to avoid ruining it for others (DM me if you want the rundown). At least give it another thought because you are way off here and completely missed the point.
Dm'd you but I highly doubt you'll change my opinion.

I'm well aware of why he became Saul and am confident that I'm not missing the point.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Finally finished the newest season of The Boys, goddamn I love that show. Wife and I started The Rehearsal last night (Nathan Fielder❤️). Also going to give House of the Dragon a shot tonight, but we have 0 expectations.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Who is this referring to?

Finally finished the newest season of The Boys, goddamn I love that show. Wife and I started The Rehearsal last night (Nathan Fielder❤️). Also going to give House of the Dragon a shot tonight, but we have 0 expectations.
That first episode with the tiny guy was the most insane mind boggling scene I've ever seen in any show. Like to even think of something like is crazy to me.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
Dm'd you but I highly doubt you'll change my opinion.

I'm well aware of why he became Saul and am confident that I'm not missing the point.

I think if you don’t understand why Jimmy made the decision he did in the final episode you likely did miss the whole point of why that was absolutely essential for the show and his character to have any sort of satisfying conclusion.

If you don’t buy it that’s fine, but from a story and character perspective it was required.

Saul was damn near perfect towards the end. Thought went into every single decision they made and it shows.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Antony Starr and Karl Urban are ridiculously good at their respective roles in that show. I'm also going into House of the Dragon with zero expectations. I've read the book and was rather ambivalent about it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Better Call Saul

what a shit plot hole. Go to prison for life because she somehow can't figure out how to file for bankruptcy? Garbage. Boarderline Dexter ending.

Edit: no one, and I mean no one on this planet would choose life in a super max just so his criminal broad wouldn't get sued. It's ridiculous.

And he didn't even get a handy.
That's not why he went to prison. It was about him showing her he could be Jimmy and not Saul, that he could be a person who isn't all bad, how his love for her was real and he would choose her over being Saul. It was redemption. It literally had nothing to do with her being sued.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Who is this referring to?

That first episode with the tiny guy was the most insane mind boggling scene I've ever seen in any show. Like to even think of something like is crazy to me.
I couldn’t have thought of a more absurd yet on brand way to start the season lol.
Antony Starr and Karl Urban are ridiculously good at their respective roles in that show. I'm also going into House of the Dragon with zero expectations. I've read the book and was rather ambivalent about it.
They were born to play those roles, it’s absolute fireworks whenever they’re in the same scene too.

Reactions: Billdo

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
@Billdo @The Grinder

Life, in a super max, for another criminal. I don't think you guys have spent much time around criminals, and that's a good thing. He's been a sociopath throughout every season of both shows, and now it's a redemption story? No person in the real world does that. Because I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't do life for someone who was in the game with me

A satisfying conclusion would have been him doing his 7, getting out and rebuilding his brand, and her taking a bid as well. Maybe them linking up somewhere on the east coast down the line.

Sorry, hot garbage.

EDIT: I'd like to see a sequel in which she gets shot in the face. Because that's what usually and should happen to gangsters.

Breaking Bad got that part right and it's one
of the reasons why it'll always be the superior show.

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
So I’m an idiot and had no idea about the spoiler function lol. I’ll use it here. This is my message to @CanadianMooseBuckler On my view of the show if anyone wants to discuss more.

Hello Friend.

So. The whole premise of the show is about his relationship with Chuck and Kim. As things quickly deteriorated with Chuck he got further entrenched in the Saul persona. It was Jimmys getaway. Especially after Chucks suicide. Jimmy could not accept or live with his involvement in pushing Chuck to that point so he focused on the Saul persona. (His number one regret was showcased in the finale with the flashback to Chuck, showing the importance of that relationship).

Then when everything happened with Kim he went full Saul, which was the reason why there was that immediate cut to Saul after Kim left him. He literally lost all of his relationships and the only thing he had left was Saul. This was highlighted when Kim was talking to Jesse in Water Works. She said “when I use to know him” when Jesse asked if he was a good lawyer. This showcased that Jimmy became an entirely different person. He we was no longer Jimmy.

Fast forward to Gene and even he went full Saul when everything went down with Kim on the phone. He started becoming even more egregious which led to the con on the cancer man. That’s his defense mechanism. When the only two relationships he had wilted he went full Saul.

It was a wake up call when he heard about Kim coming clean. Those two were always partners in crime and always had each others backs. There was no point in running anymore as he saw Kim came clean and cleared her conscience. He realized he could do the same and that Kim was his only salvation to any sort of real relationship he can have for the rest of his life. He chose to come clean and to hold onto that relationship which he valued more than the 7 year prison sentence, thus shedding the Saul persona and finally returning to Jimmy McGill who has some sense of morals.

It was never about his potential jail time or Kims exposure to a civil suit. (Although Jimmy definitely muddied the waters for any prosecution going after Kim with his sworn testimony in court. Any shred of doubt in a case with zero evidence goes a long ways to the defense). The show was always about Jimmy and his relationship with Kim and Chuck. How he lost himself and then how he refound himself again. I feel like anyone focusing on Saul and Saul’s potential jail time missed the point of the show. It wasn’t about Saul, It was about Jimmy McGill.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
So I’m an idiot and had no idea about the spoiler function lol. I’ll use it here. This is my message to @CanadianMooseBuckler On my view of the show if anyone wants to discuss more.

Hello Friend.

So. The whole premise of the show is about his relationship with Chuck and Kim. As things quickly deteriorated with Chuck he got further entrenched in the Saul persona. It was Jimmys getaway. Especially after Chucks suicide. Jimmy could not accept or live with his involvement in pushing Chuck to that point so he focused on the Saul persona. (His number one regret was showcased in the finale with the flashback to Chuck, showing the importance of that relationship).

Then when everything happened with Kim he went full Saul, which was the reason why there was that immediate cut to Saul after Kim left him. He literally lost all of his relationships and the only thing he had left was Saul. This was highlighted when Kim was talking to Jesse in Water Works. She said “when I use to know him” when Jesse asked if he was a good lawyer. This showcased that Jimmy became an entirely different person. He we was no longer Jimmy.

Fast forward to Gene and even he went full Saul when everything went down with Kim on the phone. He started becoming even more egregious which led to the con on the cancer man. That’s his defense mechanism. When the only two relationships he had wilted he went full Saul.

It was a wake up call when he heard about Kim coming clean. Those two were always partners in crime and always had each others backs. There was no point in running anymore as he saw Kim came clean and cleared her conscience. He realized he could do the same and that Kim was his only salvation to any sort of real relationship he can have for the rest of his life. He chose to come clean and to hold onto that relationship which he valued more than the 7 year prison sentence, thus shedding the Saul persona and finally returning to Jimmy McGill who has some sense of morals.

It was never about his potential jail time or Kims exposure to a civil suit. (Although Jimmy definitely muddied the waters for any prosecution going after Kim with his sworn testimony in court. Any shred of doubt in a case with zero evidence goes a long ways to the defense). The show was always about Jimmy and his relationship with Kim and Chuck. How he lost himself and then how he refound himself again. I feel like anyone focusing on Saul and Saul’s potential jail time missed the point of the show. It wasn’t about Saul, It was about Jimmy McGill.
I get the sentiment, I really do. And your synopsis makes perfect sense in the context of the show.

Personally I just can't wrap my head around it.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I get the sentiment, I really do. And your synopsis makes perfect sense in the context of the show.

Personally I just can't wrap my head around it.
That sentiment was the intended synopsis of the show. I’m just guessing it wasn’t for you lol which is fine and nothing wrong with it. Everyone has their own tastes in entertainment.

BB was a masterclass in story telling.

BCS was a masterclass of character development.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
At the end of the day I suppose I was cheering for the antihero to come out on top one last time. No one else in the franchise has. But perhaps that's Kim and the takeaway. I'll rewatch it eventually so my opinion could be fluid.

Disclaimer: it's still a great f***ing show. Top 5 dramas of all time I'd say. Just not better than BB, Mad Men (no one is ever beating that finale), the Sopranos, or the Wire. Those loose ends were tied up as well as could be conceived.

Last edited:
Reactions: NjDevsRR

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I saw Rage Against the Machine at the Garden on Monday. Hands down top 5 concert of my life. Absolutely unbelievable.
Love Rage. They were the go-to band that we would play in the dressing room before games when I was a teenager.
I wonder what todays teenaged kids think of them or if they know who they are?
What would be todays version of Rage ?

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Love Rage. They were the go-to band that we would play in the dressing room before games when I was a teenager.
I wonder what todays teenaged kids think of them or if they know who they are?
What would be todays version of Rage ?
Electronic music and hip hop. Seriously.

And I doubt they care about who they are. I wish I didn't know who they are.

But if anyone is inclined to go old school toxic masculinity, NOFX is playing at the pony in October. Yell f*** hfboards as loud as you can and I'll buy you a beer if I hear it.

Last edited:

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
lost lands is def not my type of fest especially now that i'm a geriatric - but these kiddos go hard

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
this pit was a blast...no violence and people helping each other up if they fell...great times

Love me some Ministry and I'd bet that set was epic.

Grew up in the punk and hardcore scene in the 90's so helping people up was perfunctory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad