OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Is that real? If so they will have to revamp her character. It will get old having to listen to Flo from Progressive's sister for more than a couple of minutes.

I like Anthony Mackie and he would be a great Captain America if they gave him superpowers. Just my view.
She wouldnt be any more annoying than those stupid goats from Thor.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Agreed. They could’ve used Jackman just as well without relying on him to be the tentpole for every movie. I’m hoping for a slow burn of introducing characters and having some solo movies prior to the X men just like the Avengers did.

I don’t really have much of an interest in solo movies for almost any of them. Wolverine of course. That's also where he should get his focus. The X-Men are far better when he's a side character in the mainline stuff and then you give him the focus for solo stuff. Gambit I think could be interesting solo. Maybe some others but I think the vast majority aren't standalone characters. Even as a massive Cyclops fan he's far better as the leader of a group than he is as a solo character. I could get into stuff away from the team if it's about say him and Emma, Jean, one of his kids, or a combo of Jean and kids but I'd stay away from solo stuff. I think you can have a show where like each episode is a standalone that focuses on the origins of the characters and that's how you introduce them rather than a movie.

I also think the X-Men are far better suited to a massive GoT-esque TV show than they are for movies. It'd be so much easier to give each character their due in a show where there's more time than a movie where balancing 5+ characters is more difficult

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Agreed. They could’ve used Jackman just as well without relying on him to be the tentpole for every movie. I’m hoping for a slow burn of introducing characters and having some solo movies prior to the X men just like the Avengers did.
At this point Marvel would have to do a relatively low stakes movie to intoriduce the characters. Anything too big and I find myself asking where the Avengers are or at least Fury and Shield.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I don’t really have much of an interest in solo movies for almost any of them. Wolverine of course. That's also where he should get his focus. The X-Men are far better when he's a side character in the mainline stuff and then you give him the focus for solo stuff. Gambit I think could be interesting solo. Maybe some others but I think the vast majority aren't standalone characters. Even as a massive Cyclops fan he's far better as the leader of a group than he is as a solo character. I could get into stuff away from the team if it's about say him and Emma, Jean, one of his kids, or a combo of Jean and kids but I'd stay away from solo stuff. I think you can have a show where like each episode is a standalone that focuses on the origins of the characters and that's how you introduce them rather than a movie.

I also think the X-Men are far better suited to a massive GoT-esque TV show than they are for movies. It'd be so much easier to give each character their due in a show where there's more time than a movie where balancing 5+ characters is more difficult
Movies or a few episodes of a show would work for me. Movies would definitely be hard but I have a feeling if they choose them that it will be introducing them in other existing character movies like Black Panther or Dr Strange.

Reactions: My3Sons

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I understand why you guys take issue with the way FOX presented all of those films, and I'm sure the purists agree.

But if we're being honest here Wolverine is by far and away the most popular character Marvel has ever created.

If you read any of the websites that speculate about the new actors it's pretty much 10-1 him. No one is asking about Storm, Cyclops, or Jean Grey. A few are questioning if ironman will be back but that's pretty much entirely due to the films and not the books and we do want to know who's going to play the professor, yet I doubt anyone really cares.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I understand why you guys take issue with the way FOX presented all of those films, and I'm sure the purists agree.

But if we're being honest here Wolverine is by far and away the most popular character Marvel has ever created.

If you read any of the websites that speculate about the new actors it's pretty much 10-1 him. No one is asking about Storm, Cyclops, or Jean Grey. A few are questioning if ironman will be back but that's pretty much entirely due to the films and not the books and we do want to know who's going to play the professor, yet I doubt anyone really cares.

Spider-Man's the most popular. Wolverine has been the most popular X-Men for decades sure but the literal reason there is an exaggerated focus on Wolverine among audiences is because Fox literally put an exaggerated focus on him and made paid next to no attention to the others. There was no "X-Men". It was Wolverine and friends. If Fox actually treated the X-Men with respect then mainstream audiences would actually care about the other characters. You bring up Ironman and he's literally a character that was important in the comics but not overly popular among readers and was nonexistent to mainstream audiences. Then the movies came out and they handled him well. Bam he's a superstar. Cap's a similar case. Guardians were nobodies even to comic fans. The MCU did not have Marvel's big characters and they still succeeded massively in making people care about the characters. Fox had one of Marvel's biggest properties and made people care about less than a handful of characters. They did nearly everyone incredibly dirty. Cyclops, Emma, Jean, Nightcrawler, Kitty, Gambit, Rogue, Storm, Beast, etc should all be superstars.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
Spider-Man's the most popular. Wolverine has been the most popular X-Men for decades sure but the literal reason there is an exaggerated focus on Wolverine among audiences is because Fox literally put an exaggerated focus on him and made paid next to no attention to the others. There was no "X-Men". It was Wolverine and friends. If Fox actually treated the X-Men with respect then mainstream audiences would actually care about the other characters. You bring up Ironman and he's literally a character that was important in the comics but not overly popular among readers and was nonexistent to mainstream audiences. Then the movies came out and they handled him well. Bam he's a superstar. Cap's a similar case. Guardians were nobodies even to comic fans. The MCU did not have Marvel's big characters and they still succeeded massively in making people care about the characters. Fox had one of Marvel's biggest properties and made people care about less than a handful of characters. They did nearly everyone incredibly dirty. Cyclops, Emma, Jean, Nightcrawler, Kitty, Gambit, Rogue, Storm, Beast, etc should all be superstars.
All very good points. I will add that Fox hit a home run with Deadpool. Also don’t underestimate the great job Jackman did with the character as part of the success similar to RDJ as Stark. We will see how Marvel handles the characters in the future. I enjoyed both Stewart and McAvoy as Xavier and of course Fassbender as Magneto.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Some of this is on point but some of it is off base imo.

I can only go off my knowledge of the books from the 90's when I was an avid reader and Spider-Man was nowhere near as popular as Wolverine. It's the MCU (recently) that made him a legend. No one cared about the first however many films Sony produced.

Case in point, Logan was an X-Man, an Avenger, a standalone property, etc etc. His crossover appeal has been insane for decades. It always was "Wolverine and friends" as far as I can tell. Feel free to YouTube the cartoons from back then.

Did FOX f*** up that franchise by making those films so disjointed? For sure. I would've loved to have seen more Gambit and Rogue. But at the end of the day they're in the business of making every dollar possible and Jackman did just that for them by way of playing that specific character.

Considering all the other superstars involved in those movies I figured all of this should be apparent.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Some of this is on point but some of it is off base imo.

I can only go off my knowledge of the books from the 90's when I was an avid reader and Spider-Man was nowhere near as popular as Wolverine. It's the MCU (recently) that made him a legend. No one cared about the first however many films Sony produced.

Case in point, Logan was an X-Man, an Avenger, a standalone property, etc etc. His crossover appeal has been insane for decades. It always was "Wolverine and friends" as far as I can tell. Feel free to YouTube the cartoons from back then.

Did FOX f*** up that franchise by making those films so disjointed? For sure. I would've loved to have seen more Gambit and Rogue. But at the end of the day they're in the business of making every dollar possible and Jackman did just that for them by way of playing that specific character.

Considering all the other superstars involved in those movies I figured all of this should be apparent.

To say no one cared about the prior Spider-Man films is just objectively off base. Spider-Man was the highest grossing film of 2002. It beat out Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings. Spider-Man 2 was #2 in 04. Spider-Man 3 was #1 in 07. The TASM movies weren't as well received but ranked 6 and 10 in their respective years. X-Men Origins: Wolverine ranked 11 in 09 (granted the movie f***ing sucked). The Wolverine 21 in 2013. Logan was 9 in 2017 (deflated a bit by being rated R). Spider-Man is Marvel's biggest character and always has been. If people didn't care about the Tobey or Andrew films then the hype for No Way Home wouldn't have been nearly as high as it was. It ranks 6th all time in box office in large part because people were so excited to see all of them together.

Wolverine didn't become an Avenger until 05. The X-Men comics he was generally not the main character in the mainline books and then he'd have his solo runs. He'd still get a decent amount of focus but it was not "Wolverine and friends". Claremont's monster run from 75-91 had Storm as the clear cut main character. 2000-2015 Cyclops was generally the main character. The 90s series wasn't Wolverine and friends either. That was an ensemble where you'd see all of them get their due. X-Men Evolution which started in the early 2000s around the same time the movies started coming out he was very much a side character. The movies is what created the Wolverine and friends and gave an oversized focus to him. Then because of that we see something like the Wolverine and the X-Men which started in 09 where it's Wolverine and friends. In the comics in 2011 there was an event called Schism where Wolverine and Cyclops had a falling out and created their own teams and there were separate books. The Cyclops lead run outsold the Wolverine lead one.

Wolverine does not need to have 90% of the focus to be popular. He will pop in smaller doses in the mainline X-Men stuff and then you give him his solo stuff where he gets his focus. That is the way to do it.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
All very good points. I will add that Fox hit a home run with Deadpool. Also don’t underestimate the great job Jackman did with the character as part of the success similar to RDJ as Stark. We will see how Marvel handles the characters in the future. I enjoyed both Stewart and McAvoy as Xavier and of course Fassbender as Magneto.

Deadpool was great. It was also something separate from the X-Men stuff so it wasn't pulling focus from the others. They even handled Colossus better there than the X-Men movies did. Jackman did do a great job as RDJ did but what the MCU did right that Fox didn't is that they still made you care about the other characters. It wasn't like where the only other characters that people cared about were Charles and Magneto (both actors for both were great). I do like that the McAvoy version leaned more into the dickish side of Charles rather than the whitewashed version they wrote for Stewart.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Another way to tell how huge Spider-Man is on his own is when Sony bought the rights to Spider-Man.

Sony was offered the entire MCU rights, minus what Fox already owned, for $25 million or Spiderman for $10 plus 5% of gross. Sony decided Spider-Man alone was the better deal.

This doesn’t settle a Wolverine vs Spider-man debate since X-men was already owned by Fox and wasn’t part of that MCU offer.

My 2 cents is I believe Spider-Man is bigger in popularity than Wolverine. No slight to wolverine, it’s like saying Kucherov is below McDavid.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Watched Apocalypto last night. Might not like Mel Gibson and I don’t even like Braveheart but that guy is a very talented director. Gave me the same feeling as Fury Road - you’re immersed in it, the rules of the world are revealed over time, no spelling things out. Some might take issue with the portrayal of the Mayans. I’m as attuned to those kind of things as anyone else and I don’t think that’s the case here. Really good and intense film.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Watched Apocalypto last night. Might not like Mel Gibson and I don’t even like Braveheart but that guy is a very talented director. Gave me the same feeling as Fury Road - you’re immersed in it, the rules of the world are revealed over time, no spelling things out. Some might take issue with the portrayal of the Mayans. I’m as attuned to those kind of things as anyone else and I don’t think that’s the case here. Really good and intense film.
On the one hand, it’s Hollywood. You can’t expect a perfect portrayal of anyone. I think pop culture today tries to do that a lot, to its detriment.

On the other hand, Mel Gibson directed it, and I’m not giving him the benefit of the doubt about anything. I haven’t since Passion, really.

My3Sons

Sponsor
On the one hand, it’s Hollywood. You can’t expect a perfect portrayal of anyone. I think pop culture today tries to do that a lot, to its detriment.

On the other hand, Mel Gibson directed it, and I’m not giving him the benefit of the doubt about anything. I haven’t since Passion, really.
He seems to have cleaned himslef up since that era. No openly racist stuff or threats against any significant other for some time. Clearly he will always have some stigma attached to him which is warranted.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I wanted to post more about the X-Men but went to a show last night at Kings Theater and my adrenaline is still flowing.

All I can say is that when it comes to punk, the kids of this generation are all right.

If you haven't seen or even heard of Idles do yourself a favor.

They're playing in Asbury on Sunday essentially opening for Green Day (not my thing but probably worth seeing) and I'm most likely going to spend too much going to that just to see them again. It was that good.

Make haste.

IMG_20220916_075307.jpg
IMG_20220916_075332.jpg
IMG_20220916_075345.jpg
IMG_20220916_075615.jpg

Last edited:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
@CanadianMooseBuckler
Maybe you’d enjoy this one:

Recording dork thing but Nigel Godrich is one of my heroes and this is his personal studio, which is f***ing wild. Years of conjecture and studying records - he was always so secretive - and now all the kiddos can see everything with a YouTube search…

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Boy there sure were a lot of anime games, farming sims, and JRPGs on the latest Nintendo Direct, huh. I’m still interested in a few of those games, namely Zelda Tears of the Kingdom and Octopath Traveler 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad