OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Andor continues to impress me. I think somebody in here or somewhere else put it best when they said this feels more like an HBO show than a Disney+ show. The writing, acting, cinematography, music, etc. is all on point. It's easily some of the best Star Wars in the Disney era. It's not as fun as Mandalorian, but that show just hits all my nostalgia buttons (plus I love TCW so those tie-ins really hit for me) so I'm still going to put it over Andor. But it's pretty damn close for me right now.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
The odd thing is they’ve expanded things for the TV show. In the book most of the things that have happened were only a couple of sentences without the context the show gave.
I didn't read the books, so I am trying to enjoy not actually knowing what happens. So, I wasn't really sure what was covered in the books or not. Unfortunately, I keep running into spoilers.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I didn't read the books, so I am trying to enjoy not actually knowing what happens. So, I wasn't really sure what was covered in the books or not. Unfortunately, I keep running into spoilers.
Oh yea, I Google nothing about the show because I know any wiki will just lay out a persons whole history.

I stopped a friend the other day who was like, “Remember in Game of Thrones this character was mentioned, so we know…”. I said, “shut up. I don’t remember and don’t need to know now” :laugh:

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I never knew Barney had so much controversy lol...

I hate you, you hate me.
Let's get together and kill Barney.
With a 2x4...

That's all I remember from the version of the song I was familiar with.:laugh:
I'm too old to have watched this show and too young to have had kids who watched it, at least when it was in its original run. I'm sure they probably made new episodes of it for 20-30 years or more, like Mister Rogers and Sesame Street.

I did babysit my friend's little brother back in the early 90's when I was like 16-18. He's 11-12 years younger than me. He'd watch it, as well as PBS, which is what it aired on. I was always amused to see Mister Rogers and Sesame Street on there, as I actually did grow up with those shows.

I just remember Barney being so cringy. And the production quality of the show was so bad in those early years that sometimes Barney looked like he was different colors in different episodes. He was described as purple, but some episodes he looked purple, pink, maroon, etc.

I remember after 2 years of HEAVY Barney watching (even I started to see the same episodes over and over too many times) he was done with it. He just stopped watching it and Nickelodeon would be on during those times and not PBS. I think he had always watched that, but during the hours I was there it was always PBS. He stopped watching it and never looked back.

The only thing I vividly remember about a Barney episode was when they had some painter on. I guess he was a famous painter. Whoever he was, it was like he was already known about and people were supposed to know who he was. They asked everybody their favorite color and he replied something like ''White! Because you can paint on it!''. But it sounded like the f***in guy was saying ''White! Because you can PEE on it!'' and we kept reciting that over and over. Both a 17 year old me, as well as 6 year old him and his brother who is the same age as me, were convinced he said ''Because you can PEE on it!''. We're laughing our asses off because we think this kids show has some adult on there talking about peeing and how his favorite color is white because you can PEE ON IT! You know, inside of the toilet bowl is white, some people have interpreted the color or water to be white.

Their mom was home one day when it aired (because we had already watched the same episodes at least 5 times by this point because the series was still pretty new) and told us he was saying PAINT and not PEE.

That's all I remember about it. I was really glad when he gave up on it. I was out of school and started working not too long later, so I stopped babysitting him anyway, but I was proud of him that he gave up on Barney when he did, as it was SUPER CRINGE even for a kids show. I didn't feel that way about the other children's shows (Lamb Chop, Mister Rogers, Sesame Street did have its moments though) that were on those times.

I always bring up the ''White is my favorite color because you can PEE ON IT!'' thing to this now 35 year old, but he has absolutely no recollection of it. His brother, who is the same age as me and has an even better memory than I do clearly remembers it though and we always laugh about it. In fact, 3 of our buddies also got in on the joke and I see them all at least annually. One lives right here a few minutes from me and stayed with his family at my house last night cause he lives on the water and he's still my best friend. I'm gonna ask him if he remembers it later, but his memory is worse than all of ours, so he probably won't. I'm sure he'll remember Barney, but that's it.

• Haha
Reactions: Satans Hockey

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I hate you, you hate me.
With a 2x4...

That's all I remember from the version of the song I was familiar with.:laugh:
ours was a tad bit more violent...

I hate you, you hate me.
With a knife through his stomach
and a bullet through his head...
We'll all laugh cus Barney's dead!

kids are wild

• Haha
Reactions: Satans Hockey

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
From what I’ve heard, it’s quite boring and the writers are very inexperienced- certainly no experience with something as big as a Lord of the Rings entry. So you’re not missing much.
I think it's worth a chance if you can appreciate a super slow burn. Maybe it's because I am more familiar with the source material in this case as opposed to HotD, but I like how they've gone about it. They're also telling a story exponentially larger in scope than LotR and have 5 season to do it, so the slower pace makes sense to establish the characters and some backstory. They're going to end up with about 50 hours of this show, and we're only 6 episodes into it.

And yes, I realize this is completely hypocritical compared to my complaints with HotD.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I remember a Barney stand-in was a recurring joke on Animaniacs, and he'd be exposed to all kinds of cartoon violence. And of course, there was this classic Simpsons joke.

When my oldest was about four he whispered to me in a hushed conspiratorial tone that he heard Barney got arrested for having beer in his tail.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think it's worth a chance if you can appreciate a super slow burn. Maybe it's because I am more familiar with the source material in this case as opposed to HotD, but I like how they've gone about it. They're also telling a story exponentially larger in scope than LotR and have 5 season to do it, so the slower pace makes sense to establish the characters and some backstory. They're going to end up with about 50 hours of this show, and we're only 6 episodes into it.

And yes, I realize this is completely hypocritical compared to my complaints with HotD.

I don't know the source material at all for lotr, I've seen all 3 movies and the 3 hobbit movies all once but that's it. I've been enjoying it too, it's definitely a slower pace than hotd but it's visually awesome to look at and has more likeable characters.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
My wife and I saw Don’t Worry Darling tonight. You’ve probably seen the articles going around that spoil the twist, but I went into it more or less blind, and I sighed quite loudly when it became clear. More than that, it made me want to watch the original Stepford Wives.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Andor continues to impress me. I think somebody in here or somewhere else put it best when they said this feels more like an HBO show than a Disney+ show. The writing, acting, cinematography, music, etc. is all on point. It's easily some of the best Star Wars in the Disney era. It's not as fun as Mandalorian, but that show just hits all my nostalgia buttons (plus I love TCW so those tie-ins really hit for me) so I'm still going to put it over Andor. But it's pretty damn close for me right now.
I like it for the same reason so many are complaining about it. BORING, too slow, etc. Yeah, some of us like to slow down and get immersed in the universe and the backstories. This is literally the origin story for the rebellion's hero to steal the plans to the Death Star - Cassian, Boo hoo if it isn't nonstop action and fights. It's fun to have this look into how the resistance got fired up, who pulled the strings, what set off the political uprising, etc. If you're a casual fan of Star Wars and just want the feature movie experience yes this is much different.

I'm loving the visuals, the soundtrack is top notch. The costumes are amazing and it feels like solid character writing and acting. If this keeps going I'm going to like this more than Mandalorian because it's Star Wars drama for adults where Mando and the Boba felt more for family Star Wars indulgence.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
My wife and I went to the movie theater last Friday for the third time since the pandemic. We decided to watch Don’t Worry Darling. I’m convinced that the on-set drama and stupid statements from the director were mostly planted, because this movie has nothing going for it. All it made me think about was other movies, which is always the sign of something that’s mediocre at best. And this isn’t an “at best” scenario. When the twist became clear (no spoilers but it’s a very obvious real-world reference), I signed very loudly.

Lots of laughs when the credits rolled too. I think the main reaction was how pathetic it was.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
My wife and I went to the movie theater last Friday for the third time since the pandemic. We decided to watch Don’t Worry Darling. I’m convinced that the on-set drama and stupid statements from the director were mostly planted, because this movie has nothing going for it. All it made me think about was other movies, which is always the sign of something that’s mediocre at best. And this isn’t an “at best” scenario. When the twist became clear (no spoilers but it’s a very obvious real-world reference), I signed very loudly.

Lots of laughs when the credits rolled too. I think the main reaction was how pathetic it was.
When you say “real-world reference” are you saying the twist gets political?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I know I'm practically gushing about Andor at this point, but damn I love this show. I love how we're getting so many different perspectives between the fledgling Rebels, Mon Mothma, Andor, the Imperials, etc. They do such a good job of establishing these characters and their backstories through dialogue and just subtle things that Star Wars doesn't exactly do well much of the time.

I know some people have issues with the structure just because the show is basically built around 3 episode arcs, which might work better being binged, but I'm used to it since TCW used to do the same thing.

Reactions: Darkauron

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
When you say “real-world reference” are you saying the twist gets political?
Not in an explicitly partisan way, but it does deal with a real-life person connected to a certain online movement that does have political leanings. If you don’t want to watch it, read on.

Towards the end of the movie, the movie cuts from the fantasy world of Victory into the real world. Florence Pugh’s character is actually a doctor, and she’s seen getting off a 30 hour shift where she stitches up 12 patients (not making that up) and goes home to her boyfriend played by Harry Styles. You see him listening to a manosphere podcast on his computer station and then goes to a guy to hook both of them up to a Matrix-like program, which takes both of them to the world of Victory.
Chris Pine’s character is directly inspired by Jordan Peterson, which has been the subject of multiple articles as of late.

You’re better off watching the original Stepford Wives, Get Out, or The Matrix. More than anything else it’s a boring and uninspired movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ripshot 43

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
RIP Viserys.

Paddy deserves an Emmy for what he did with that character. Also to the effects team for making him look like a walking corpse.

Aegon and Aemond truly are shits, although I do love Aemond's eye patch.

Reactions: Darkauron

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
RIP Viserys.

Paddy deserves an Emmy for what he did with that character. Also to the effects team for making him look like a walking corpse.

Aegon and Aemond truly are shits, although I do love Aemond's eye patch.

I agree. Paddy deserves an award sooo much

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Wife and I started the new season of Great British Bake-Off yesterday. Seems like a tougher field than most seasons, no real weak links. But we’re really looking forward to Mexican Week because I’ve heard horrible things that shouldn’t be seen.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Wife and I started the new season of Great British Bake-Off yesterday. Seems like a tougher field than most seasons, no real weak links. But we’re really looking forward to Mexican Week because I’ve heard horrible things that shouldn’t be seen.

I saw a headline about there being controversy about Mexican week, but I skipped reading it because I didn't care enough. But now I'm curious. What, did the hosts dress up like Pancho Villa and have the contestants make tortillas or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad