Value of: Connor McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which of McDavid or Draisaitl should Edmonton consider trading to balance out the team

• Total voters

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
You misspelled Hayes.........

You think you're getting McDavid without giving up Couturier?

McDavid is what the Flyers need to be revitalized. I'm convinced at this point that we need to acquire a Top 5 player with cache in order for people to care about the Flyers again.

Winning helps, but adding a top guy like McDavid is unspeakably valuable.

If Pitt was tanking, I'd go out and get Crosby because we just need names at this point to re-ignite the fan base.

Reactions: TFHockey

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I mean ... there are teams that could do it. You can pick and choose players off Tampa Bay to do it. Vasilevsky plus one of Hedman or McDonough or Point or Stamkos fits the criteria (although four of those five players have NMC or NTC protection. They currently live in sunny Florida and play for the two-time reigning Cup winner. So perhaps not).

Once you start naming names, the ask is probably too high in the OP's proposal. Two superstars is a lot to give up, even for the best player in the game. That's without figuring out how Edmonton fits two such salaries under the cap.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see what trading McDavid and Draisaitl would accomplish. The Oilers issue is that they can't develop players whatsoever and are littered with bad contracts.

The Oilers have over $4 million in dead cap space from Lucic, Neal and Sekera, and then they have absolute scrubs like Kassian, Turris, Ryan, Koskinen, Keith and Ryan making way more than they're worth. Unless trading one of those two comes with ridding the Oilers of all of their bad deals, there is no way that trading either one makes the Oilers better.

Reactions: Drake1588

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Forbes estimates that the Oil are worth the 7th most in NHL
Those two are the reason why

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
You think you're getting McDavid without giving up Couturier?

McDavid is what the Flyers need to be revitalized. I'm convinced at this point that we need to acquire a Top 5 player with cache in order for people to care about the Flyers again.

Winning helps, but adding a top guy like McDavid is unspeakably valuable.

If Pitt was tanking, I'd go out and get Crosby because we just need names at this point to re-ignite the fan base.
IMO Philly should retool and look for a high 2023 pick. Bedard or Michkov would be amazing to start a new chapter.

rogking65

May 13, 2016
"The Oilers should trade the best players in the league for lesser players, that's how they'll get better".

Sigh.
do you consider Kucherov/ Vasy and Point all lesser players. Of course, anybody would. But if all 3 were offered for McDavid you would not do it. Sigh

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
do you consider Kucherov/ Vasy and Point all lesser players. Of course, anybody would. But if all 3 were offered for McDavid you would not do it. Sigh
Cap space says hi.
TB would be too dumb to offer it but Oilers would/should still decline unless McD publically wants out.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I personally view Draisaitl as one that would remain in Edmonton and the face of the franchise. But I know some if not most would disagree. I just have a hunch McDavid will bounce when the contract is up. McDavid with 3/4 years left would give the Oilers a huge haul.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Would only make sense to trade just one of them if you could do something like Drai for Seider

a kid that is cheap and can play a big role right now and you use the cap space for a upgrade on goal and forward deep
Jesus that’s an awful trade

26 year old Hart, Lindsay, Art Ross winner signed long term at a huge discount, who is currently leading the NHL in goals and points for a rookie dman

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I personally view Draisaitl as one that would remain in Edmonton and the face of the franchise. But I know some if not most would disagree. I just have a hunch McDavid will bounce when the contract is up. McDavid with 3/4 years left would give the Oilers a huge haul.

he will have a NMC. So who knows. If he ever were to ask out he would pick his team.

not saying he would. But he picks his own which reduced the return

Reactions: CraigsList

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Girard, Newhook, Kuemper and 2023 1st.

and Oilers GM fired so fast for trading away McDavid.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Think the better question would be if they keep losing wether it’s early playoffs or not making the playoffs. Do one of them ask out ? Drai would be the easier choice. Keep the face of your franchise while maxing out the return on a high profile player.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Well, his NMC doesn't kick in until next season, so it would have to be like... now.

they won’t. If he were to ask out it would be after it kicks in.

hypothetically where would he want to go?

NYR? Trade for fox? He doesn’t have protection.
Dallas for heiskanen? Plus?
Toronto for marner sandin and firsts? They wouldn’t trade for matthews unless they could get a haul from another team.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Show me some trades using assets the Oilers have that make them cup contenders, hopefully without chasing rentals.
the 1sts would be used to 'chase' top rentals so not sure what you are asking here.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hard to make those trades in a cap world, but they should return 1C, 3 1sts, 1 top D, 1 A prospect + a roosterplayer. Valuewise.
roosterplayer... raffi torres retired i think

'3 1sts' wouldnt be something Oilers would want because they wouldnt be rebuilding.
McDavid is simply not getting traded.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
the 1sts would be used to 'chase' top rentals so not sure what you are asking here.

There's no rentals available that makes the Oilers cup contenders. How many assets can the Oilers spend to trade out their bottom 6, upgrade on defense and goalie? While also moving some bad contracts out. Even then it probably won't be enough to enter contender status

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The only ones that would make sense would be something like MacKinnon+Makar or Aho+Slavin+more which those other teams probably wouldn't love.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
McDavid is the one to go
Bad leadership
12.5m cap hit
Can land a boatload in return.
Columbus, LA, NJ, NYI, Phil should be all over that

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
I have a tough time with the assumption many make that McDavid won’t ever ask out. How many generational talents sit idle while watching their team find practically no success? In any sport?

I think if he is forced to watch Eichel go deep with VGK while he misses the POs or is embarrassed in Rd 1 (possibly by VGK), that could weigh heavily enough where it becomes the final nail for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad