Value of: Connor McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which of McDavid or Draisaitl should Edmonton consider trading to balance out the team

• Total voters

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You can have Nathan MacKinnon, Samuel Girard, our 2022 1st and f*** it take Tyson Jost while you're at it because I'm sick of him sucking and he's from Edmonton so he can show the new boys a good time in good ol' St. Albert.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
You can have Nathan MacKinnon, Samuel Girard, our 2022 1st and f*** it take Tyson Jost while you're at it because I'm sick of him sucking and he's from Edmonton so he can show the new boys a good time in good ol' St. Albert.

Probably the best offer in the thread so far if I had to guess.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If McDavid ever became available, which is doubtful, Lou Lams enters the chat with a mix of: Barzal, one of Wahlstrom or Beau, one of Salo or Bolduc, one or two firsts and a vet to balance salary (like Josh Bailey or Kyle Palmieri) for McDavid and a vet cap hit on the Oilers, ideally a LHD.

If you want to make it even simpler then maybe something like: Barzal, Dobson, Josh Bailey or Kyle Palmieri and a first rounder+ for McDavid.

If another team can offer up a better mix of youth and skill than Barzal and Dobson, as the first two pieces, have at it.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I mean I guess the Capitals should've traded Ovechkin then too after his 6th season. You're too into the dumb soap opera of this board.

This is a entertainment business first and foremost. No other player makes the Oilers the type of money McDavid does, no one else gives them a valuation of 1 billion+.

The owner himself would never agree to any trade, so it begins and ends right there. Those expensive tickets in that shiny new arena are not going to sell themselves, nor is that merchandise.

Uhhhh...I said trade Drai.

I have no idea what you are talking about?

Wrong response?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Uhhhh...I said trade Drai.

I have no idea what you are talking about?

Wrong response?

I thought you meant McDavid but either way, Draisaitl is not getting traded either for the same reason. You don't trade players like that.

Baberham Lincoln

Nov 5, 2019
Toronto
Why are so many people adamant that McDavid can’t be traded but Drai can? Drai makes $4m less. You can get a way better package with McD than Drai.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
You just don’t trade either of them, you can’t replace or mask the hole that it would leave. They need to reconstruct their rosters depth/defense/goaltending.

I don’t think that Nurse contract was a great place to start in doing so. They should be looking to move the guys in the 3-6m range. As well as the goaltending but it’ll not sure how that’s gonna currently get fixed.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I gotta hand it to the community here.
I read through all 133 comments in this thread and I'm impressed with the overall maturity of what I'm reading.
I may not agree with a lot of the opinions being thrown around, but I appreciate the fact that I'm not walking into a room filled with trolls flaming each other.

What can I take away from what I'm reading here?
  • Trading Nurse first is not and will not be an option. He's worth every penny he makes to Edmonton, but he's overpaid by 1-1.5 in the eyes of a lot of other teams out there. Like holy cow he just came back and he played pretty much half of those first 2 games back. His shot has come along or his understanding of when to use it, but he is not a perfect product in any 3 zones. If we trade Nurse we'll end up either taking on a bad contract or getting really poor value.
  • Trading McDavid or Drai is not an option right now. What is stopping McDavid or Drai from asking to be traded? Holland consistently goes out and makes moves (not here to argue how good/bad they've been) to show Drai and McDavid that the team is committed to making the team better to give them a better chance to win. The minute that you trade one of them away it's going to be pretty hard to convince them that the team is getting better given how there's no way we're getting a better player in trading either of them.
  • There were a few respectable proposals listed earlier and to be frank... I doubt we'd get HFboard value trading McDavid or Drai. It seems like such a huge roll of the dice trying to get value for an elite player and I really feel it's been like that for several decades. And to be frank if we're trading McDavid or Drai, I want Holland gone first. He wasn't hired to Revamp the team. He was hired to ensure that he'd go through a positive trend, leading to us being a consistent playoff contender and eventually a Stanley Cup champion.

Reactions: Moses2020

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
If Edmonton trades McDavid they should just fold the franchise as I’m sure most of us diehards would be done with the epic mismanagement we’ve suffered from
might as well move the team to saskatchewan we have loyalty even to shitty teams haha

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
While I'm strongly against trading either, I don't agree with the sentiment that the team would definitely be worse just because you're not getting a player back who is just as good. That's the whole point, to fill numerous holes in one go while keeping a franchise leading first line center.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
While I'm strongly against trading either, I don't agree with the sentiment that the team would definitely be worse just because you're not getting a player back who is just as good. That's the whole point, to fill numerous holes in one go while keeping a franchise leading first line center.

Seems lost on oiler s fans as a whole.

The point is to get 3-4 solid players in return.

The sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

This is going to have a bad ending without trading one of them.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006

Exactly, and honestly this is why I think it would be hard to find a team to trade FOR McDavid, cause the number of pieces you’d have to give up would make your team worse, even if you “win” the trade on value

Hockey isn’t like other sports where 1 or 2 ppl can carry a team to titles (the exception would be a hot goalie, and even that is usually only get an average team deep, not to titles)

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Why are so many people adamant that McDavid can’t be traded but Drai can? Drai makes $4m less. You can get a way better package with McD than Drai.
If you are a buyer, Drai's the better bet on a point per dollar basis, i.e., take the scoring number and divide by cap hit. Because Drai is the better point per dollar deal, a buyer would probably make a better deal for him. McDavid's salary also limits the universe of buyers who would be willing to clear that much cap space without risking themselves going into the same unbalanced situation where the Oilers are now. If the Oilers were willing to eat about $4 million of McDavid's contract for the next three years, they probably could get a really good deal for him. But at $12.5M? No way.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Exactly, and honestly this is why I think it would be hard to find a team to trade FOR McDavid, cause the number of pieces you’d have to give up would make your team worse, even if you “win” the trade on value

Hockey isn’t like other sports where 1 or 2 ppl can carry a team to titles (the exception would be a hot goalie, and even that is usually only get an average team deep, not to titles)
^^^^^This.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Slightly off-topic and apologies if it has been asked already - which of McDavid and Draisaitl do you expect to age better?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Slightly off-topic and apologies if it has been asked already - which of McDavid and Draisaitl do you expect to age better?
Draisaitl is the obvious choice

McDavid's speed will eventually diminish and he will have to adapt (not that he won't be able to, he could easily just keep getting better)

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

I don't think they're that far off, but there are definite hurdles in the way in the form of contracts. The Nurse deal is gonna hurt and I'm a big fan of the player. I don't care so much about the term on guys like RNH and Hyman because I think the caphits are fair for the roles they play and at this point what happens after the McDrai contracts don't really matter much imo.

Either they win, or at least make a finals in the next four years or they're f***ed anyways and it doesn't matter who's around if McDrai leave.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
You do not trade McDavid. I repeat...under no realistic circumstance (had to add realistic because I know HF posters) is McDavid getting traded, nor should he. He is the greatest player of this generation and if he remains healthy he may even end up in the conversation for top 3 C of all time. I don't think they should trade either for help tbh. Draisaitl is on the greatest contract in the league. If he does get moved, the return would MASSIVE.

The problem is terrible contracts given to depth guys. Sorry Oil fans but Nurse is not a 9M dollar d-man. He should be in the 7-8 range. Hyman is about 1m overpaid, Barrie is horrendous defensively. His offensive production does not make it worth it. Duncan Keith is a shell of his former self and on a horrible contract. Ceci should not be in the NHL. Koskinen at 4.5M is horrible value but at least he's coming off the books. Just some absolutely atrocious contracts throughout the lineup. The problem has never been McDavid and Draisaitl. The problem is the surrounding cast. You do not become a better team by trading one of those two guys. Arguably the 1/2 best players in the league. They need to rid themselves of bad contracts and bring in quality line mates for them. The fact that McDavid is in what year 7 ? And has yet to play with an elite sniper on wing is mind boggling. Their first move should've been for a shooter to play with Connor. Pulju is looking great right now, but they have 5 capable forwards IMO and then just trash littered in the bottom 6. The defence aside from Nurse is very suspect.

They should be looking to dump Keith/Ceci. That's almost 9M freed up. I know Oil fans like Barries transition game, and his cap hit won't kill you, but that extra 9M from Keith and Ceci would do wonders for them. Also Koskinens 4.5m coming off the books. That would give them 13.25M to re-sign Pulju and then spend the rest on depth pieces/D and a legit 1G. Forsberg and Manson/Leddy are guys I would target if I am Edmonton. Play Forsberg with McDavid, Drai at 2C. Nuge is on a great contract but he can be moved for a position of need. Either goaltending or a legit top 4D. It's the bad contracts killing them, not the top 2 players.

McDavid/Drai should not go anywhere, that would be a huge mistake.

ConnorMcBackcheck

Dec 31, 2021
USA
I just laughed out loud at the assertion that McDavid “could be” one of the top three centers of all time, when he’s never won anything in the playoffs and has never broke 120 points in a season.

McDavid has done nothing thus far into his career to convince me he is above the Messier, Yzerman, Sakic level of centers, who are all superstars in their day.

The guy gets more overrated by the day but to address the topic at hand I think the only trade that makes sense is with the team who picks Bedard. If that team is more interested in winning immediately and value McDavid’s marketing potential and immediate impact they could consider 1st overall plus a few other assets to take on the huge cap hit of McDavid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No trade involving McDavid is going to make the Oilers a better team afterward. It's fantasy to believe otherwise because you're not going to get the pieces you think you will.

People keep envisioning the Lindros trade but fail to realize that the reason that trade ended up working out for Quebec/Colorado is because Forsberg exceeded expectations and became a franchise player in his own right. So unless you somehow find a trade for McDavid where one of the prospects in that trade ends up being as good as McDavid, which is highly unlikely, you're not recreating the Lindros trade scenario.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Real 1ds are costing 9million or more these days. So you're already going to be up 9 on the cap after trading McDavid. Doesn't leave a lot of room to bring in a real 1G or 2c on top of the dman you're getting for McDavid. You're already paying Nurse, so paying another dman that money is going to be tough. They need some of these prospects they drafted to step in and be good players.

Does apply if they are on a ELC or are signed to a cheap deal .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This is a silly thread. The only players that could replace McDavid and Draisaitl are Matthews and Marner and the Leafs would never trade them.

LOL MacKinnon is better then both . Matthew's has never other score Draisaitl and yet the Leafs talk about him like he is the 2nd coming .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
As a Rangers fan, I would start with Fox for McDavid. I would then ask Oilers what else would they want within reason.

Future for the Rangers on the RD side is:

Trouba
Lundkvist
Schneider

We would not even consider Fox . Great player but forced his way out of Calgary , Forced way off of the Canes .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I'll offer Michael Ferland, Matt Stajan, and a 3rd round pick. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT

Pelletier, Zary, Tkachuk, Lindholm, and 2 firsts would be my offer.

Gaudreau-Mcdavid-find a top 6 RWer
Monahan-Dube-Mangiapane
Lucic-Backlund-Coleman
4th line idgaf.

Pass .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad