Connor McDavid will go down as the 2nd best player of all-time

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
McDavid is insane. But to break the big four, you need more than that. You need to be iconic/crazy/clutch and a true WINNING leader.

Especially McDavid still won nothing teamwise apart from that 2016 WC gold.

P.S: Even insane Jagr couldn't break the big four, why do you think McD can?

McDavid is very clearly ahead of Jagr who was not someone who could handle the load

• Haha
Reactions: BraveCanadian

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
McDavid is insane. But to break the big four, you need more than that. You need to be iconic/crazy/clutch and a true WINNING leader.

Especially McDavid still won nothing teamwise apart from that 2016 WC gold.

P.S: Even insane Jagr couldn't break the big four, why do you think McD can?
I've got both above Howe already.
icegif-4576.gif

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
He's already got more than half of Crosby's finals points in only 7 games.
4 of those finals points came in a game that was already decided (3-1, on the way to 8-1) before he had even touched the scoresheet. I don't mean to be ungracious but those are kind of meaningless. In any case, I hope McDavid hoists Cups soon. He's certainly a great player and his speed is just mind-blowing.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Tell that to Crosby. The dude was handily outplayed by Logan Couture.
Poor Logan has never even seen G7 of the Finals, dude. Maybe he was outplaying Sid on his Xbox while the Penguins were parading down Boulevard of the Allies, hoisting the Cup, after a relatively easy smackdown of the Sharks. I frankly was surprised to see the series go to 6 games, but the Gods who cared have decreed the Penguins are doomed to win all Stanley Cup on the road. It's a bummer, but we made do.

Reactions: Voight and sanscosm

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
It really doesn't matter if McDavid gets the most points ever or 2nd place. Only geek stat fanboys care about that. After he wins a few cups then we can talk about how great he is. Cause until you win a cup nothing else matters.

Reactions: sanscosm

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Truth hurt? :laugh: No need to be insecure. I know it’s been difficult times for you Pen fans.
Nah, GreatGiggles, I'm like Torts, tough love and all of that. I was fine knowing my team wasn't going anywhere this season, but it was fun seeing another Philly Phebruary Phail. It happened so fast!

Remind me, did Gerald Ford let your team visit the White House the last time they mattered? My guess is "no", but I was just a kid then. :laugh:

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Nah, GreatGiggles, I'm like Torts, tough love and all of that. I was fine knowing my team wasn't going anywhere this season, but it was fun seeing another Philly Phebruary Phail. It happened so fast!

Remind me, did Gerald Ford let your team visit the White House the last time they mattered? My guess is "no", but I was just a kid then. :laugh:
Not a Phillys fan but nice try :laugh:

Very desperate I must say.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Poor Logan has never even seen G7 of the Finals, dude. Maybe he was outplaying Sid on his Xbox while the Penguins were parading down Boulevard of the Allies, hoisting the Cup, after a relatively easy smackdown of the Sharks. I frankly was surprised to see the series go to 6 games, but the Gods who cared have decreed the Penguins are doomed to win all Stanley Cup on the road. It's a bummer, but we made do.
Feel free to educate yourself. Couture outscored Crosby in the finals and the entire playoffs. Couture was a better two way player.

Couture scored 30 points in 24 games.
Crosby scored 19 points in 24 games.

It wasn't even close. Couture put up more assists than Crosby did points.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Greatest during peak is still 1 Orr, 2. Gretzky/Lemieux

Unless McDavid goes another tier up, he will end up perhaps #4 to -#10 tier of Howe, Rocket, Sid, Ovie, Lafleur, Messier, Bossy….

Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
McDavid is very clearly ahead of Jagr who was not someone who could handle the load
Jagr had 201 playoff points and two Cups. And when he wasn't winning Cups he didn't have a perennial 120-point man, the best offensive d-man in the playoffs and a 55-goal man helping him along.

My Best-Carey

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Feel free to educate yourself. Couture outscored Crosby in the finals and the entire playoffs. Couture was a better two way player.

Couture scored 30 points in 24 games.
Crosby scored 19 points in 24 games.

It wasn't even close. Couture put up more assists than Crosby did points.
Outscored is not the same as outplayed, lots of other factors in scoring a goal. The Penguins pretty easily lose to Washington in R2 that year if you swapped Crosby and Couture, and that was easily Crosby's worst series.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Greatest during peak is still 1 Orr, 2. Gretzky/Lemieux

Unless McDavid goes another tier up, he will end up perhaps #4 to -#10 tier of Howe, Rocket, Sid, Ovie, Lafleur, Messier, Bossy….
Not a chance I'd take the players mentioned aside from MAYBE Howe (never saw him play--just based on career) over McDavid in a draft. No chance. Sid and Ovie are on the cusp, but McDavid is already clearly ahead of them in terms of talent. Crosby may end up with the better career if he's won everything and McDavid hasn't. Ovechkin has the edge in goals, oviously. I once said it wasn't clear between McDavid and Sid before this, but McDavid showed I was silly right away.

Also, it's so tough to compare defensemen so I don't know who peaked higher. Gretzky scored more than 200 points not only once. No other player has done it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad