Connor McDavid will go down as the 2nd best player of all-time

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
You said 60 games. That was 56 and he had the largest lead of cap era at that point in a season. Do you think over the remaining 26 games that would've made it a full season, the gap would lessen drastically rather than increase or stay the same? Stretched to an 82 game season, that gap widens to 53 points
A top player could have gone on a hot streak, closed the gap

the only season he's shown dominance of the big 2 is his 150 point season

those other 2 seasons have an asterisk next to them

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018
Well, he's got his trophy for this year, not the one he wanted though.
Now we will learn what bothered him this year with big drop in goals scoring, x2 compared to last regular season. Playoffs 8G in 25 including 2EN (was 8G in 12 last playoffs).

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Well, he's got his trophy for this year, not the one he wanted though.
Now we will learn what bothered him this year with big drop in goals scoring, x2 compared to last regular season. Playoffs 8G in 25 including 2EN (was 8G in 12 last playoffs).

McDavid got blanketed everywhere on the ice just like his final game for Erie Otters. I'm more concerned with what was bothering Draisaitl, the guy was a corpse in the SCF.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Way back in 1968 there was a writeup on hockey skating/scoring in Popular Mechanics.

Gordie Howe was up there with Bobby Hull is speed and shooting. Bobby Hull was the McDavid and Weber of his time. Fastest and the hardest slap shot in the NHL. Gordie Howe was right behind him.

After a little bit of digging, I found the results. This brings back huge memories for me because I use to buy those magazines at that time.

Anywho...notice Howes wrist shot. Only Hulls slap shot was faster.

tumblr_nzinmiBXft1spx4u4o1_540.jpg

Reactions: yeaher

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm certainly a Crosby fan for sure, but a "show up in Game 7" post about McDavid when Crosby missed like 2/3 of his game 7 against the Wings in 2009 just sounds hilarious to me.

McDavid had a phenomenal playoffs and the Oilers not overcoming a 3-0 deficit does not reflect poorly on him whatsoever. I think he missed out on a legendary achievement by not winning this series, but the idea that this series reflects badly on him at all is just dumb.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Winning is so huge for this conversation. People who got to watch McDavid play will always remember his talent and the things he could do that no one else could. But if ends his career without winning, it's going to hurt his legacy.

Still lots of time for him to get a Stanley Cup, heck, he could end his career with multiple. At this point in time though, it's too early to put him in the top 3 imo.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Way back in 1968 there was a writeup on hockey skating/scoring in Popular Mechanics.

Gordie Howe was up there with Bobby Hull is speed and shooting. Bobby Hull was the McDavid and Weber of his time. Fastest and the hardest slap shot in the NHL. Gordie Howe was right behind him.

After a little bit of digging, I found the results. This brings back huge memories for me because I use to buy those magazines at that time.

View attachment 886748
Is this even accurate measurements? I doubt they are shooting that much heavier with obsolete equipment

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Is this even accurate measurements? I doubt they are shooting that much heavier with obsolete equipment
It's direct comparison of players of that time and techniques.

Their sticks at that time had huge curves and everyone practiced the big boomers. They resorted to steel pucks to improve speed...and damage wrists.

Bobby Hull today may be just as fast or maybe faster then McDavid.

Remember, we're not comparing cars and technology, but humans who worked just as hard at their time to be fast and big shots as athletes do now.

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Muadzam Shah, Pahang, Malaysia
McDavid is insane. But to break the big four, you need more than that. You need to be iconic/crazy/clutch and a true WINNING leader.

Especially McDavid still won nothing teamwise apart from that 2016 WC gold.

P.S: Even insane Jagr couldn't break the big four, why do you think McD can?

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
25 seconds left... goalie pulled...game 7 for the cup, McDavid having not shown up so far has 1 rush left....he has the puck around the half-wall in his own zone and accelerates up the ice, three strides later at his own blueline he pass the puck 3 feet right to a Fla Panther's stick and the puck goes back the other way... and the Oilers lose the game.
Crosby would never have turned it over with the stakes so high

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
25 seconds left... goalie pulled...game 7 for the cup, McDavid having not shown up so far has 1 rush left....he has the puck around the half-wall in his own zone and accelerates up the ice, three strides later at his own blueline he pass the puck 3 feet right to a Fla Panther's stick and the puck goes back the other way... and the Oilers lose the game.
He had a lot of turnovers this game, just a bad bad night for him

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
That was a brutal turnover

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

View attachment 886748
Reading those speeds makes me wonder how accurate the testing was and what equipment they used?

The ranking and relative to other players is probably the most important thing I guess, if this was all done at the same time.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Crosby would never because he barely played in game 7 :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Voight and sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad