Confirmed with Link: Clendening traded for Gustav Forsling

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
As someone who has no prior viewings or preconceived notions of his play, Pokka's skating looked as good as TVR's, which is to say not very good. I'm not sure if its something he can improve (this is going to be his 3rd season in the AHL right?) but its clearly an issue.

The sample size is very small but Pokka's positioning in that "all prospect" exhibition game was poor as well. No Hawk dman impressed me in that game. I expected more from Pokka.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
"QUESTION, Which type of Scandinavian is best?"

"Um, there are two schools of thought..."

"False. Swedes"

"Well that's debatable"

"Fact. Swedes eat beets."

"What? No they don..."

"Swedes, beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Oh boy, now you've really done it - the Finns will be incensed.

Michael!

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
Looks like Forsling might have made the team

If Forsling got less than 9 games and then got sent back to Sweden, would it burn a year off his ELC, or would his contract still slide to next year? I know for junior players the contract slides if they play in less than 9 games, but wasn't sure how it would work for European players.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
If Forsling got less than 9 games and then got sent back to Sweden, would it burn a year off his ELC, or would his contract still slide to next year? I know for junior players the contract slides if they play in less than 9 games, but wasn't sure how it would work for European players.
I think he slides this year.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
The solution is simple...

We keep Keith, Seabrook, Hjamarsson, Campbell, Forsling, Kempny, TVR, and Rozsival all on the roster.

Campbell doesn't play any games until after we trade Kempny at the deadline for forward help. After the TD, Campbell can play in 9 regular season games. If he hits ten, then we get stuck with paying his $750,000 in bonuses.

So come game 1 of the playoffs, we have Keith, Seabrook, Hjamarsson, Campbell (who's very well rested!), Forsling, and TVR as our top 6 defensemen. We also get more help at the forward position due to trading Kempny.

Due to sitting out so much of the regular season, Campbell uses all his hate and anger from the situation to win the Conn Smythe after our 16th playoff game.

When being handed the award, he (out of pure anger for his season) punches Gary Bettman in the face. The crowd cheers!

Bettman gets a permanent indent in his face from the hit, and is forever nicknamed "Gary Buttman".

Everyone wins...sorta.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
As someone who has no prior viewings or preconceived notions of his play, Pokka's skating looked as good as TVR's, which is to say not very good. I'm not sure if its something he can improve (this is going to be his 3rd season in the AHL right?) but its clearly an issue.

\I agree that Pokka skates as well as TVR. I also agree that that is a problem as both are slow. But... TVR is better positionally, much quicker to react to the play, is more aggressive, and has a better stick. TVR is more developed and well ahead of Pokka at this point. But both have skating as a liability. Though again, TVR compensates for his skating better (actually, by a wide margin) than does Pokka.

Pokka is, of course, behind Duncs, Hammer, Seabrook, and Campbell. He is also behind TVR and Kempny and both Gus and Forsling. So... he seems currently about ninth on the Hawks. No room for him here. He might eventually make a squad... but it is pretty unlikely to be here any time soon. Getting better in Rockfird simply makes sense.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

his contract will slide.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Q called Forsling special on WGN pregame. Also said cuts are mainly done on D and they could go into season with 8 defense. Forward there are still many decisions to be made. I think Forsling makes it. Q calling someone special isn't really a thing. Especially prospects.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Q called Forsling special on WGN pregame. Also said cuts are mainly done on D and they could go into season with 8 defense. Forward there are still many decisions to be made. I think Forsling makes it. Q calling someone special isn't really a thing. Especially prospects.

Didn't he just call him during that game special, and not Forsling as a whole?

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
a Young D getting called Special by Q is always a good sign that he likes him. If it's only meant for a game or in General doesn't matter that much.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Stay woke on some Klingberg potential on Forsling. What a trade. Before you tag it as absurd check out Where Klingberg came from when he took the league by storm.

Q is smitten. They could deal pokka or TVR or Kempny for a pick or F help if he keeps it up.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Only TVR would have good enough value to get NHL forward help

Pokka and Kempny are both unproven at this point

But I don't see value in trading TVR (A RHD) and going with two rookie LHD and forcing one to play offside

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Would it not look worse to give him roster spot over Forsling who has outperformed him in every facet?

Not saying Kempny is bad or was bad this preseason but on performance/merit that #6 spot should go to Forsling

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Would it not look worse to give him roster spot over Forsling who has outperformed him in every facet?

Not saying Kempny is bad or was bad this preseason but on performance/merit that #6 spot should go to Forsling

Forsling is impressive. No question, but we have only seen him in training camp and a rather short pre-season. I have not seen enough of this guy, especially without the puck to make a determination of whether he can yet play DEFENSE at the NHL level. Though he has a much different style, the same rings true for Kempny. His offensive game seems pretty solid but I'm not sure how he will react to the smaller ice surface and the speed of the NHL. Players, especially veteran players tend to play at about 75 percent prior to the RS.

Hopefully both of these guys get a chance this season to show they belong but I must admit if it comes down to a choice between the two, that Forsling has the upper hand in my view. (which is the opposite of what I felt after witnessing Kempny's mostly fine play in the World Cup tourney. This is the first I have seen of Forsling however. His potential is frankly exciting)

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Forsling is impressive. No question, but we have only seen him in training camp and a rather short pre-season. I have not seen enough of this guy, especially without the puck to make a determination of whether he can yet play DEFENSE at the NHL level. Though he has a much different style, the same rings true for Kempny. His offensive game seems pretty solid but I'm not sure how he will react to the smaller ice surface and the speed of the NHL. Players, especially veteran players tend to play at about 75 percent prior to the RS.

Hopefully both of these guys get a chance this season to show they belong but I must admit if it comes down to a choice between the two, that Forsling has the upper hand in my view. (which is the opposite of what I felt after witnessing Kempny's mostly fine play in the World Cup tourney. This is the first I have seen of Forsling however. His potential is frankly exciting)
Last season we only had 2 players capable of playing DEFENSE (emphasis yours ;)) at an NHL level: Keith and Hjalmarsson. Even if the youths were iced with Campbell/Seabs we're still up from last season in terms of defense :)--and that's also because Seabrook looks about 50 imperial buttloads better playing defense than he did last season--so far *knock on wood*.

Personally, I would give Forsling the edge and see if he can't take #4D duties from time-to-time. He's sighed cheap through 2018 and could be a great asset if he develops into 3-4 material--especially if Campbell can't/won't resign. Kempny thus far? I can go wither way but I figure TVR will probably on the lineup and Rosie will be fetching Eddie O's soft serve. If TVR or Rosie are moved by all means bring Kempny up.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Starting to think we'll have 8 defensemen to start.

Eventually, think we'll waive Rozsival. Both parties will mutually terminate the contract, and Rosie will be given a role in the organization.

Think it'd be stupid to trade TVR considering that the only other righty in the top 6 is Seabrook.

I do, however, think that TVR, Forsling, and Kempny all will take turns playing based on which players are hot at the moment.

Also think that Joel will be more willing to sit any defensmen for a game (even guys like Keith) if they show any sign of being sore or worn out (like in cases where it's the second game of a back-to-back after Keith already played more than 25minutes the first game).

Also could see Kempny traded at the deadline for forward depth if needed.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Starting to think we'll have 8 defensemen to start.

Eventually, think we'll waive Rozsival. Both parties will mutually terminate the contract, and Rosie will be given a role in the organization.

Think it'd be stupid to trade TVR considering that the only other righty in the top 6 is Seabrook.

I do, however, think that TVR, Forsling, and Kempny all will take turns playing based on which players are hot at the moment.

Also think that Joel will be more willing to sit any defensmen for a game (even guys like Keith) if they show any sign of being sore or worn out (like in cases where it's the second game of a back-to-back after Keith already played more than 25minutes the first game).

Also could see Kempny traded at the deadline for forward depth if needed.

This. IOW, great post.

thesaadfather

Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Maybe Q will go the Jon Cooper route and dress 7 Dmen. Seems unlikely, but you just never know, especially in today's NHL.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think with how much theyve ran their defenceman into the ground minute wise lately, 7 guys back there wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad