Confirmed with Link: Clendening traded for Gustav Forsling

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I like to think that Canucks fans die a little inside when this jumps up to "Last Post" in the Central Division forums

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Is it me, but I just don't think his skating is anything to write home about. At all. He uses edges really well and turns well, but straight ahead speed, I am a bit concerned.

Maybe I am seeing things.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Honestly, Forsling needs more hype. He's been under sold here lately.

If forsling was owned by a bad team the NHL fans would know more about him and benhyping him as a 1D. Since he's the Hawks no one wants to hear about the next Klingberg. It's a rich get richer thing.

Disclaimer: I don't put 1D expectation in him. There are like 11 1D in the league. Just going off resume and performance that's where he would stand if he was a Sabre or an Oiler.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Klingberg. But Stars were desperate for D when he came up and Hawks aren't. So h be that 5D like Leddy where no one knows how good he is for a while.

Damn, some pretty high comparisons for Forsling. That would just be unfair to the rest of us if he actually pans out to be a Cam Fowler or John Klingberg :laugh:.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Damn, some pretty high comparisons for Forsling. That would just be unfair to the rest of us if he actually pans out to be a Cam Fowler or John Klingberg :laugh:.

Seriously though. Throw away his draft position and look at what he's done in Sweden, World Juniors and what he's done in camp. He won't be Klingberg because of opportunity. He's gonna be good though.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I feel like a better comparison at the moment would be a poor man's Sami Vatanen.

Wouldn't call him a poor mans anything but I'm a guy who looked back in HF and saw all fans chirping Duncan Keith and saying he should be moved to Forward. You never know. Could settle as a 5 but has that 1 upside.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Wouldn't call him a poor mans anything but I'm a guy who looked back in HF and saw all fans chirping Duncan Keith and saying he should be moved to Forward. You never know. Could settle as a 5 but has that 1 upside.

I meant that's how I expect him to play this year, not what his potential is. I agree that he has some very high upside (hence me changing my avatar to him) but I think him playing as a worse Sami Vatenen, who is a very good second pairing PMD, would be very good for him this year.

For the future, I have no idea what to compare him to. For D-men I think it's usually a crap shoot, e.g. that Keith thread.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Keith to Forward? What?

If you are really, really, really bored go back to when Keith and Seabrook were prospects. It completely changed the way I look at prospects. Don't think anyone was dumb posting that. Guys with skills sometimes figure it out in a big way. Everyone tries downplaying guys. You simply cannot dismiss the chance a guy will be a cornerstone or a HOF. Same goes the other way but people generally really underestimate.

I read on some baseball scouting website that they will never give a prospect an ace rating because there are so few... and yet there are plenty in the MLB. Everyone says "future top 4" but a select few will be aces.

That possibility simply cannot be ruled out with Forsling yet. Having said that it's a longshot but he looks like a player no matter how you categorize him.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I was being serious about the Lidstrom comp. Forsling will be a cornerstone defenseman for this team for years to come.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If you are really, really, really bored go back to when Keith and Seabrook were prospects. It completely changed the way I look at prospects. Don't think anyone was dumb posting that. Guys with skills sometimes figure it out in a big way. Everyone tries downplaying guys. You simply cannot dismiss the chance a guy will be a cornerstone or a HOF. Same goes the other way but people generally really underestimate.

I read on some baseball scouting website that they will never give a prospect an ace rating because there are so few... and yet there are plenty in the MLB. Everyone says "future top 4" but a select few will be aces.

That possibility simply cannot be ruled out with Forsling yet. Having said that it's a longshot but he looks like a player no matter how you categorize him.

All the old posts were purged but I was posting here back before Keith was in the NHL. I remember him being a total train wreck and there was a pretty legendary thread "Duncan Keith: Chihuahua on skates" but I don't remember anyone wanting him at forward.

With you on not writing talented kids off though. Constantly cited it during the Leddy trade.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Forsling has to find his own way, obviously. The deficiencies in his game will be exposed. But what a learning environment! Kid will soak up knowledge from Keith, Hammer, Soupy and Seabrook. Not to mention Q and Kitchen. Exciting stuff, to be sure. And pretty much a perfect situation for him.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Forsling has to find his own way, obviously. The deficiencies in his game will be exposed. But what a learning environment! Kid will soak up knowledge from Keith, Hammer, Soupy and Seabrook. Not to mention Q and Kitchen. Exciting stuff, to be sure. And pretty much a perfect situation for him.

Is Kempny now in a position where he's fighting for a spot? Q said if Forsling is on the team, he's not going to be part of a platoon situation. Both Kempny and Forsling are lefties. Unless one can play on the other side, it looks like both are competing for the same spot.

Man is the defense lineup getting crowded:

DK-NH
BC-BS
open spot-TVR

Hawkster

It's on.
Aug 2, 2005
Keith to Forward? What?

The Blackhawks top brass gave it real consideration before the first lockout and rule changes.

I know this because I asked Trent Yawney the question and he answered it. If I remember correctly DK even played a handful of games as a winger in Norfolk...

If the game didn't evolve towards skating and skill, Duncan Keith's career would have been very different.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
fwiw Q never said Forsling won't be platooned. He said "if he's going to be here, he'd be playing." That probably means he won't be sitting in the press box all the time next to Rozy.

Hawks will probably rotate Kempny and Forsling to start the season. If they like what they see from the two rookies, they could start giving TvR and Campbell (he's 37) nights off. There will be injuries as well. If everything goes smoothly, both Kempny and Forsling could end up playing ~60+ games each.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The Blackhawks top brass gave it real consideration before the first lockout and rule changes.

I know this because I asked Trent Yawney the question and he answered it. If I remember correctly DK even played a handful of games as a winger in Norfolk...

If the game didn't evolve towards skating and skill, Duncan Keith's career would have been very different.

I don't know why folks are surprised by this. Every good coach will keep an open mind when it comes to young and talented hockey players who can skate well and aren't the biggest in stature. Just because a player has played a certain position growing up doesn't mean that is where they will stay when they hit the big leagues (goalies excepted of course).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad