Confirmed with Link: Clendening traded for Gustav Forsling

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Forsling looks vulnerable tonight. I now am leaning towards keeping Kempny up at this time. He shows his experience and is better in the heavy going. Gotta remember that Forsling is ony 20. Don't want to put either of them in a situation that they aren't ready for.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Forsling looks vulnerable tonight. I now am leaning towards keeping Kempny up at this time. He shows his experience and is better in the heavy going. Gotta remember that Forsling is ony 20. Don't want to put either of them in a situation that they aren't ready for.
One game. I'd personally keep both of them up.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
That's incorrect. Atleast try to act like you don't make assumptions after 20 minutes about a player that plays 5 minutes of that

HaveYouSeenMyTaco

Aug 9, 2016
Forsling didn't look good last night but when there's four added NHL defensemen added he'll get easier minutes with a more experienced partner. I'm still hyped for him.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
St.Louis dressed their A team last night and Forsling didn't look good facing the actual NHL caliber forechecking for the first time. That is normal for a 20 yo dman with 5 games of NHL experience under his belt. He'll get better with time.

I wouldn't change my opinion on him based on 1 bad game. Hawks brass shouldn't either.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Yeah, Forsling was shaky, especially in the 1st period. That said, he makes the team. He'll have to prove he isn't ready (i.e., over several RS games). Think he'll be fine.

Kempny is not going down. Hawks are going to have 8 D-men. Really hope Q uses Rozy sparingly. We'll see.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Forsling wasn't good. Not worried.Good to see some real forwards without much help. When he got in trouble he was on the Pk... not gonna be on that squad in the regular season.

Just serve up seeing eye clap bombs in the regular season and play ok D and he's a very valuable player this season.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
People who post on the internet on boards like these are the most excitable of fans. the tendency is to overstate in both directions. What is good is viewed as great and what is decent is viewed as poor. With Forsling people overstated his readiness. He is doubtless a fine looking prospect. Given his age, if he were to play a year in Rockford, he would be getting some fine training and he would be more ready next year. If he stays with the Hawks this year (or part of the year), if sheltered and asked not to do too much, he will be fine. Either way, he will be fine. In 3-4 years, the potential is a really, really good player. But now, if he plays, he'll do some good things and he'll get exposed some too. Either way, it is good. Just do not expect him to be great earlier than is reasonable. In time...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
People who post on the internet on boards like these are the most excitable of fans. the tendency is to overstate in both directions. What is good is viewed as great and what is decent is viewed as poor. With Forsling people overstated his readiness. He is doubtless a fine looking prospect. Given his age, if he were to play a year in Rockford, he would be getting some fine training and he would be more ready next year. If he stays with the Hawks this year (or part of the year), if sheltered and asked not to do too much, he will be fine. Either way, he will be fine. In 3-4 years, the potential is a really, really good player. But now, if he plays, he'll do some good things and he'll get exposed some too. Either way, it is good. Just do not expect him to be great earlier than is reasonable. In time...

You know he can't play in Rockford right?

The Hawks need to treat him like Leddy.

HaveYouSeenMyTaco

Aug 9, 2016
Leddy never was Q's favourite, but there's way more sides these pros see in different players, even if they might sometimes seem very alike to us.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Leddy never was Q's favourite, but there's way more sides these pros see in different players, even if they might sometimes seem very alike to us.

BK was not comparing the way Leddy plays the game to Forsling, only the way he thinks Q needs to treat this sitution. Their respective games don't have a lot of similarities. Forsling's best qualities are his vision and patience with the puck as well as the ability to play at the pace he dictates. Leddy didn't have those qualities for the most part .... but both tend to struggle in the heavy going without the puck.

If Forsling stays, no doubt he will need to be sheltered but I think another year in Sweden may be in the cards, and the best thing for him at this stage. No question, he's a keeper.

Last edited:

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
You know he can't play in Rockford right?

The Hawks need to treat him like Leddy.

Ahh.. That detail I did not know. So... no Rockford as an option. I would appreciate your insight as to what the non-Hawk options are there for Forsling - and the long-term implications. So thanks in advance.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
BK was not comparing the way Leddy plays the game to Forsling, only the way he thinks Q needs to treat this sitution. Their respective games don't have a lot of similarities. Forsling's best qualities are his vision and patience with the puck as well as the ability to play at the pace he dictates. Leddy didn't have those qualities for the most part .... but both tend to struggle in the heavy going without the puck.

If Forsling stays, no doubt he will need to be sheltered but I think another year in Sweden may be in the cards, and the best thing for him at this stage. No question, he's a keeper.

I think, since his contract will apparently not slide regardless if he goes back to Sweden, it would be best for him to stay on the Hawks and just get more experience playing in the NHL.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think, since his contract will apparently not slide regardless if he goes back to Sweden, it would be best for him to stay on the Hawks and just get more experience playing in the NHL.

It's a tough call. With the additions of Campbell and Kempny, Hawks have finally found some depth in the back end. On the other hand, will Forsling get the experience he actually needs in Sweden? Probably not the ideal. It would be perfect if he could play in RFD for a stint this season, but he can't. I say Hawks let him go back to Sweden and ask him to work on his play without the puck .... and hit the weight room.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Powers and Forsling's agent confirmed last week that the contract would not slide if he went back to the SHL.

The agent had gotten it confused earlier this year when Powers had originally asked him about it.

So yeah, I'd kinda rather he stay up here.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014

What is meant by "his contract will not slide"? the nuance of contracts is not something I have had much exposure to.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
What is meant by "his contract will not slide"? the nuance of contracts is not something I have had much exposure to.

He signed a 3 year ELC, no matter what this year counts on it. sometimes guys overseas or signed but still playing in the CHL will have signed a contract but it doesn't count for that year if they aren't with the NHL/AHL team.

Like for Alexander Fortin, if he goes back to the Qmjhl even though he is signed by the Hawks on a 3 year contract, his contract wont count this year and it will begin next season.

So Fortin's can slide whilst Forsling's can not this season.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Even 30 games and a whole season of practicing with the Hawks might be a better learning experience than playing in Sweden.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Even 30 games and a whole season of practicing with the Hawks might be a better learning experience than playing in Sweden.

Exactly. Give him a lot of sheltered minutes and play him against some lesser teams in a good pairing. Play him with Soupy in lines with Keith/Hammer, Campbell/Forsling, Seabs/TVR. Plus, you can use the depth to give guys nights off and then if anyone gets injured you are set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad