Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Don't think the price for G will be too expensive, could see 2nd + prospect and 4th / 5th pick to the other team retaining the other portion of his contract.

G has all the power when it comes to a trade and I think Philly as a thank you will grant him that wish if he decides he wants to move, instead of "shopping" him and trying to get the best offer and trying to convince him to go there.

Would be a awfully bold move from Comcast and Fletcher to not trade him to the team he wants to go to because the deal isn't up to par.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He will get a good contract as a UFA if he turns down any and all trade requests.

If he leaves he takes an additional chance at injury and if he doesn't play well he hurts his chances at a good contract, if he plays well he will likely increase his value, but how much and for how much.

If he has a full NTC, Giroux is likely better off staying in Philly and signing in the off season.

Giroux has been extremely durable throughout his career. The likelihood of him getting hurt throughout the balance of the season anywhere else vs here in Philly else is marginal at best.

He's also made close to 90m at this point. I certainly don't know him personally, but I think His goal is to win a cup, not maximize his next paycheck(which he's going to get regardless. He's still way too good to not get a good deal somewhere).

Reactions: Flyer lurker

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Giroux has been extremely durable throughout his career. The likelihood of him getting hurt throughout the balance of the season anywhere else vs here in Philly else is marginal at best.

He's also made close to 90m at this point. I certainly don't know him personally, but I think His goal is to win a cup, not maximize his next paycheck(which he's going to get regardless. He's still way too good to not get a good deal somewhere).
Exactly. Giroux has made a ton of money, he's not some 27 year old coming off of his low salary RFA deal looking to cash in on his one big payday. At this point in his career, a potential Cup run is much more enticing than squeezing an extra year or extra million out of his next contract. The only way he would loss any significant value in his next contract would be suffering some horrible injury like a fully torn ACL but I doubt that's a concern for a guy whos been durable for 14 years and 1,000+ NHL games.

Last edited:

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Exactly. Giroux has made a ton of money, he's not some 27 year old coming off of his low salary RFA deal looking to cash in on his one big payday. At this point in his career, a potential Cup run is much more enticing than squeezing an extra year or extra mission out of his next contract. The only way he would loss any significant value in his next contract would be suffering some horrible injury like a fully torn ACL but I doubt that's a concern for a guy whos been durable for 14 years and 1,000+ NHL games.

Wow! you can read peoples minds. Impressive!

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Avs fans. Would you do Barron + JT Compher for Giroux at 50%? No picks exchanged.

Brutal to lose a guy the Avs have pegged for their top 4 in a few years. But they remove JTCs cap hit next year to spend on Nuke or Kuemper. And get Giroux for a run.

I’d rather it be Helleson but I’d think about this.

Last edited:

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Avs fans. Would you do Barron + JT Compher for Giroux at 50%? No picks exchanged.

Brutal to lose a guy the Avs have pegged for their top 4 in a few years. But they remove JTCs cap hit next year to spend on Nuke or Kuemper. And get Giroux for a run.

The Flyers are not trading Giroux for that. That's an awful prosposal to add someone of Giroux's calibre with retention and a cap dump going the other way. Good lord.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Most Avs fans have said they'd be willing to move Barron and the 1st. Byram and Newhook should 100% be off the table, name me one rental trade that has returned a prospect on either of their levels.
That’s a very bad overpay for a guy with full NTC. No way Sakic offers that much. He’d simply shop elsewhere. There will be many rentals on the market this TDL.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think it's pretty ridiculous to assume that there's going to be a massive discount based off of a NTC. We've seen Taylor Hall abuse it, but most of the time there's still a bidding war as the list is more than one team.
I doubt it. Besides, Giroux is one of several players that will be available.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I doubt it. Besides. Girard is one of several players that will be available.

Yes, but there are always several players that are available at the deadline. It only makes for antagonizing interactions if you assume the other team has to give you a discount. It's similar to these boards during the Duchene negotiations where there was a lot of talk about how Sakic had to make a move, do it fast, and that it would be for cheap since Duchene was making so much stink about wanting out.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I think it's pretty ridiculous to assume that there's going to be a massive discount based off of a NTC. We've seen Taylor Hall abuse it, but most of the time there's still a bidding war as the list is more than one team.
Taylor Hall had a whole 37 games played with the Sabres. Not very long to build up any type of loyalty

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Most Avs fans have said they'd be willing to move Barron and the 1st. Byram and Newhook should 100% be off the table, name me one rental trade that has returned a prospect on either of their levels.

I think I'd say Barron OR the 1st. Essentially 2 1sts + Compher for ~20 games of Giroux still seems a little bit too much to me. If Barron goes, the pick should be a 2nd.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains

Barron
Ranta
Compher
1st 2023
-
Giroux at 50%
Frost

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Taylor Hall had a whole 37 games played with the Sabres. Not very long to build up any type of loyalty

That's my point, the Taylor Hall situation shouldn't be used as proof that all situations with NTC/NMCs is going to result in a significant discount. Hall had apparently wanted to go to Boston before he signed with Buffalo, and then he forced the move to happen. Also take into account that Hall was having a pretty awful year, and that puts much more context into that trade situation.

Reactions: SnS and Groo

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I think it has to be 2 1sts if you're also going to be moving Compher. Adding 3.5 to next years cap room would help the Avs a lot.

Yes, moving that cap would help the Avs, but in spite of the hate he gets from some people, Compher is still an NHL caliber bottom 6er who can score at ~0.4 PPG and fill in up the lineup in a pinch. He's just overpaid by maybe $1m per year, which shouldn't be as much of an issue for the Flyers if they are looking to retool/rebuild. Maybe he doesn't have much value, due to his contract, but I don't see why we need to pay extra for the Flyers to take him.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yes, moving that cap would help the Avs, but in spite of the hate he gets from some people, Compher is still an NHL caliber bottom 6er who can score at ~0.4 PPG and fill in up the lineup in a pinch. He's just overpaid by maybe $1m per year, which shouldn't be as much of an issue for the Flyers if they are looking to retool/rebuild. Maybe he doesn't have much value, due to his contract, but I don't see why we need to pay extra for the Flyers to take him.

Let's say that Barron covers Giroux (I don't think he does), the 1st covers them taking Compher AND the retention it would take to get Giroux on the Avs.

This is all a moot point, he's clearly going to get traded to Vegas for a 7th and some weird cap circumvention, because of course.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
That's my point, the Taylor Hall situation shouldn't be used as proof that all situations with NTC/NMCs is going to result in a significant discount. Hall had apparently wanted to go to Boston before he signed with Buffalo, and then he forced the move to happen. Also take into account that Hall was having a pretty awful year, and that puts much more context into that trade situation.
I was re-enforcing the/your point as many others here like to point at the Hall trade as an opportunity to get a star player on the cheap

Reactions: SoundwaveIsCharisma

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
The Flyers are not trading Giroux for that. That's an awful prosposal to add someone of Giroux's calibre with retention and a cap dump going the other way. Good lord.

Plenty of god awful and downright embarrassing proposals on here. It is as if they have never watched G play.

Reactions: captainpaxil

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Let's say that Barron covers Giroux (I don't think he does), the 1st covers them taking Compher AND the retention it would take to get Giroux on the Avs.

This is all a moot point, he's clearly going to get traded to Vegas for a 7th and some weird cap circumvention, because of course.

Giroux isn't going to any legitimate contender without retention (or weird cap circumvention), so the retention is the cost of giving Giroux a chance at the Cup. The 2nd + Compher's minimal value covers the difference between Barron and Giroux.

Reactions: Lemonlimey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad