Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
There are reasons to not go all in this year too. Like the fact the core is still really young and the team is poised to be a legitimate contender for the next decade if we don't do anything horribly stupid. If the Flyers demand for Giroux doesn't work for the Avs' long term plans, then we should just walk away.

I guess the next decade is possible if MacKinnon resigns, but even then we will see.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Seems as good a year as any for Avs to go all in. Burakovsky, Kadri, nichuschkin, Kuemper all about to be UFA. Mackinnon UFA year after that.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
He won’t go to Rangers because I doubt he wants to play for them and doubt Rangers have interest in a guy who thinks grabbing a cop’s butt is just humorous.

I see a team out West trading for him

Well the rumor is that he'd rather not play out west or in Canada. So New York and Boston are 2 teams listed as players in the Giroux sweepstakes. I don't care who he plays for. As long as they have the highest bid.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well the rumor is that he'd rather not play out west or in Canada. So New York and Boston are 2 teams listed as players in the Giroux sweepstakes. I don't care who he plays for. As long as they have the highest bid.

The 3 teams that Giroux can fly the shuttle to are Boston, Rangers, and Capitals. The Capitals have an injury hole at 2LW

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
The 3 teams that Giroux can fly the shuttle to are Boston, Rangers, and Capitals. The Capitals have an injury hole at 2LW

Would you include Hendrix Lapierre in the trade? Other than he and CMM, I'm not really that familiar with the Caps prospect pool. I know CMM is off the table though. Obviously the Flyers can do whatever to make the salary cap work.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Would you include Hendrix Lapierre in the trade? Other than he and CMM, I'm not really that familiar with the Caps prospect pool. I know CMM is off the table though. Obviously the Flyers can do whatever to make the salary cap work.

The only way the Caps take Giroux is if that is where Giroux wants to play. The Caps are not spending their prime prospects for a rental. Giroux has control and can make the deal himself effectively. If it takes a Lapierre or McMichael, the Caps will get someone else. Giroux is really overkill for them.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
At this point I'd almost rather he go to the Rangers than the Avalanche after reading some of the ridiculous takes in this thread.
I agree and I’m an Avs fan. We don’t have the cap space, are weak in draft picks and only have a few good prospects who haven’t graduated yet.

Since the Rangers seem to think their two year rebuild is done see what kind of player you can get from them for Giroux.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
The only way the Caps take Giroux is if that is where Giroux wants to play. The Caps are not spending their prime prospects for a rental. Giroux has control and can make the deal himself effectively. If it takes a Lapierre or McMichael, the Caps will get someone else. Giroux is really overkill for them.

Idk that powerplay without Ovechkin was pretty horrific. Caps look like a 1-line team at forward tbh. Think they could definitely use Giroux if they have aspirations for a cup. He becomes the 2nd best forward on the caps if he joins them. Could argue the best forward if you want to include all the ways he impacts the game (PP, PK, faceoffs).

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy, but I don't see Newhook or Byram even being a consideration for Colorado.

Giroux is the captain of the Flyers with a full stop NMC. He should hit 1000 games with the organization before being dealt. If he's going, he's in full control. They'll be an element of "fairness" in the deal, but it's not going to involve one of the Avs 2 prized young players.... especially with Kadri being an impending UFA.

I'd suspect the deal would be Colorado's 1st in 2023 and Drew Helleson or Justin Barron. Colorado will have to find another team to retain 25%, but I doubt that'll be expensive considering his salary is only $4m, and it seems like there might already be 8 teams in the east eliminated from the playoffs.

I also don't really see his fit with the Rangers. They're too young. If he's leaving Philly, it's to go get himself a cup. You've gotta think Colorado gives him the best chance of doing that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Idk that powerplay without Ovechkin was pretty horrific. Caps look like a 1-line team at forward tbh. Think they could definitely use Giroux if they have aspirations for a cup. He becomes the 2nd best forward on the caps if he joins them. Could argue the best forward if you want to include all the ways he impacts the game (PP, PK, faceoffs).

The Capitals have 1 offensive line. Oshie and Mantha are the 2nd line wingers and are injured. Backstrom is the center and had just returned from a long injury recovery. Oshie led the team in pp goals last season. Take him and Ovechkin out and I am not sure what you expect. The Caps checking line is outstanding

Assuming Oshie returns by playoffs the Caps set up is two left shot pass first players, Backstrom and Kuznetsov work the puck for one time shots from 3 right shot players facing them. Ovechkin, Oshie and Carlson. Giroux is not a physical inside player for the Oshie roll. He would take Ovechkin's role which wont happen. Ov plays the entire pp. So there is not any pp2 time there.

Its not going to work trying to sell the idea that Backstrom and Kuznetsov need to give up ice time for Giroux. That wont happen. That would only toss the Caps locker room upside down.

Why not make Giroux captain if they can get him?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
The Capitals have 1 offensive line. Oshie and Mantha are the 2nd line wingers and are injured. Backstrom is the center and had just returned from a long injury recovery. Oshie led the team in pp goals last season. Take him and Ovechkin out and I am not sure what you expect.

Assuming Oshie returns by playoffs the Caps set up is two left shot pass first players, Backstrom and Kuznetsov work the puck for one time shots from 3 right shot players facing them. Ovechkin, Oshie and Carlson. Giroux is not a physical inside player for the Oshie roll. He would take Ovechkin's role which wont happen. Ov plays the entire pp. So there is not any pp2 time there.

Its not going to work trying to sell the idea that Backstrom and Kuznetsov need to give up ice time for Giroux. That wont happen. That would only toss the Caps locker room upside down.

Why not make Giroux captain if they can get him?

fair enough on the PP, but you’re not concerned about the aging players (Oshie) and their injuries? Also G is more effective at wing than center at this stage in his career so he doesn’t need to be down the middle

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
fair enough on the PP, but you’re not concerned about the aging players (Oshie) and their injuries? Also G is more effective at wing than center at this stage in his career so he doesn’t need to be down the middle

We dont have a clue what is wrong with Oshie. He is the heart and soul of the team. He is the 2nd leading goal scorer behind Ovechkin. He is maybe the best in the league at that bumper position on the pp because of his hand/eye coordination and his physical play. If he has a concussion and isnt coming back they would need someone like Giroux. To play with Backstrom. I assume Giroux could make that work. But if Oshie is playing Giroux doesn't fit the skill set on the pp that Oshie brings. Giroux on a 5 on 5 lines with Backstrom and Oshie would be legit and they way they would go.

I am just saying that you dont trade your best prospect and a 1st round pick for a guy that you dont use on the pp and who is your #6 in the top 6. A less expensive player can fill that spot. This is why I said Giroux was overkill. A guy like Rickard Rakell makes more sense. Again, the only way that Giroux is traded to the Caps is if thats where he wants to play. Its widely reported that the Capitals are one of the best jobs in the league for a player. Their facilities are top of the league. The ownership treats the players super. The building is full. The locker room is unusually tight. But Boston is a great destination too.

Last edited:
Reactions: quietbruinfan

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I think the Wild have to be considered too. They certainly need a center. I could also see Carolina in on him and it would be a great fit. That said, I think he has lost a fair amount of quickness, and I am not sure about him coming to the Bruins, despite their desperate need for a center.

Reactions: flyerslducks

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
There are lots and lots of options. He’s just one of the better ones.

Pavelski, Rakell, Giordano, Copp, JT Miller, Manson, Chariot, Lehkonen and so on. Sakic could go in any number of ways.
Some of these guys are defenders so it is not an option better than giroux. Giroux is better than lehkonen, copp, rackell. Pavelski isn’t going anywhere as Dallas is in a playoff spot, ducks probably aren’t trading those guys as well. Miller will cost a lot. So ya, these aren’t the options that are that realistic. I said earlier that avs should probably go for a dmen, probably a better choice

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
We dont have a clue what is wrong with Oshie. He is the heart and soul of the team. He is the 2nd leading goal scorer behind Ovechkin. He is maybe the best in the league at that bumper position on the pp because of his hand/eye coordination and his physical play. If he has a concussion and isnt coming back they would need someone like Giroux. To play with Backstrom. I assume Giroux could make that work. But if Oshie is playing Giroux doesn't fit the skill set on the pp that Oshie brings. Giroux on a 5 on 5 lines with Backstrom and Oshie would be legit and they way they would go.

I am just saying that you dont trade your best prospect and a 1st round pick for a guy that you dont use on the pp and who is your #6 in the top 6. A less expensive player can fill that spot. This is why I said Giroux was overkill. A guy like Rickard Rakell makes more sense. Again, the only way that Giroux is traded to the Caps is if thats where he wants to play. Its widely reported that the Capitals are one of the best jobs in the league for a player. Their facilities are top of the league. The ownership treats the players super. The building is full. The locker room is unusually tight. But Boston is a great destination too.

yeah but Boston doesn’t have jack shit in the way of assets to get the trade done

Reactions: Dooble08

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

Honestly, I put Lapierre in the category of Barron and Olausson from the Avs. Which is the type of prospect that we'd be looking to get.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Boston it is because Rangers won’t acquire him for obvious reasons.

2 year rebuild? It started with Stepan trade which is 2017 and they made the announcement in Feb 2018. You do realize it’s not 2020 and Rangers don’t want a guy who sexually assaults people.

I'm confused about the obvious reasons.....ohh wait... you are the only person in the world that is still hanging onto something that G did 8 years while being drunk. Your pettiness really brings the your credibility to have a conversation about Claude Giroux down.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I agree and I’m an Avs fan. We don’t have the cap space, are weak in draft picks and only have a few good prospects who haven’t graduated yet.

Since the Rangers seem to think their two year rebuild is done see what kind of player you can get from them for Giroux.

Well he's a free agent at the end of the year. So retention as well as cap dumps can be worked around. Plus, he's also able to be resigned if Kadri prices himself out of Colorado. I think you have some other players who are free agents at the end of the season as well.

Do you think fans of Tampa Bay care about draft picks and prospects? Or are they more than happy to have won 2 Stanley Cups in a row....and are considered favorites every year?

As for only having a few good prospects....I call BS on that. You've had 1 really good prospect that just graduated. One that should be in your NHL lineup, but unfortunately isn't because of injuries. Then, the Flyers are looking for 1 of 3 in the next tier....not A+ prospects, but definitely still guys that project to be quality NHL players. THEN, there is a whole another tier of prospects who are guys who will make the NHL in some fashion. I'd say the Avs.....as a good team....have a better prospect pool than the Flyers....who are a bad team.

From the Rags....Kravtsov.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Honestly, I put Lapierre in the category of Barron and Olausson from the Avs. Which is the type of prospect that we'd be looking to get.

If you and I are calling the shots then, I would tell you to sell elsewhere. I want a new Bronco. Nearly bought one but walked away because it was too expensive. If Giroux doesn't care where he plays, sell him for a good price. If you tells the Flyers where he wants to play, it won't work like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad