Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
There's UFAs every year for every team. Avs have decent amount of cap space you forgot to mention.

They have 27 million next season in cap space. They'll have 4 players in their prime to pay (more than they currently make). I mean that's an issue whether or not they trade for G.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Well he's a free agent at the end of the year. So retention as well as cap dumps can be worked around. Plus, he's also able to be resigned if Kadri prices himself out of Colorado. I think you have some other players who are free agents at the end of the season as well.

Do you think fans of Tampa Bay care about draft picks and prospects? Or are they more than happy to have won 2 Stanley Cups in a row....and are considered favorites every year?

As for only having a few good prospects....I call BS on that. You've had 1 really good prospect that just graduated. One that should be in your NHL lineup, but unfortunately isn't because of injuries. Then, the Flyers are looking for 1 of 3 in the next tier....not A+ prospects, but definitely still guys that project to be quality NHL players. THEN, there is a whole another tier of prospects who are guys who will make the NHL in some fashion. I'd say the Avs.....as a good team....have a better prospect pool than the Flyers....who are a bad team.

From the Rags....Kravtsov.
No I think we are all in so the few good prospects we have like Barron, Behrens and Olausson are definitely in play. The recent graduates in Newhook and Byram are not. They are a big part of the team. My point was we are also low on draft picks so our offers could be beat by a team like New York.
Giroux is a great player he may help but I think our greater need is on the defensive end. We are already the highest scoring team in the league.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
They have 27 million next season in cap space. They'll have 4 players in their prime to pay (more than they currently make). I mean that's an issue whether or not they trade for G.

Not really an issue. Contenders tend to get players or replacement players back at discounts. 27 million is more than enough to fill the holes.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
This can't be real. Giroux just grabbed a dudes butt. After all, he is a professional hockey player who played junior and they come from a weird fraternity.

Nevertheless, Giroux would be amazing in the Ranger top 6.
Grabbed a cop’s butt, I guess you side with Blackhawks against Kyle Beach huh?

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
I mean Giroux is better than half of your top 6. Easy upgrade over Strome, Laf, or.......Hunt?
Lmao so why does Strome have same stats line as him. If he’s better than half of Rangers top 6 why is Giroux’s team so bad yet Rangers so good?

Rangers are not offering a first for a POS rental. Deal with it

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Grabbed a cop’s butt, I guess you side with Blackhawks against Kyle Beach huh?
Whoa there. There's no comparison. Giroux was drunk, and publicly grabbed a cop's butt in public to be funny. And guess what, wasnt funny and he got arrested! That's called accountability. But I guess you walk the perfect line of morality and have never made a stupid mistake in your entire life...

Dont even try to compare the two for the sake of your petty argument. That's disgusting. It's apples and oranges. Not even in the same ballpark man

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Whoa there. There's no comparison. Giroux was drunk, and publicly grabbed a cop's butt in public to be funny. And guess what, wasnt funny and he got arrested! That's called accountability. But I guess you walk the perfect line of morality and have never made a stupid mistake in your entire life...

Dont even try to compare the two for the sake of your petty argument. That's disgusting. It's apples and oranges. Not even in the same ballpark man
So you are saying if a random guy grabbed a random woman’s breast to be funny that getting arrested and “released without charges” is accountability? You do realize that’s sexual assault

Where was the accountability? He was released without any charges despite sexually assaulting an officer.

Letting you know being Drunk is not an excuse. Also that cop was put in a bad spot. If cop presses charges that cop gets a lot of crap for giving star hockey player crap.If the cop doesn’t they get razzed by whole department.

Back on topic Rangers giving up a first for 2 months for him makes no sense. Makes more sense to let him finish out 2 months with Flyers. Only fit is Bruins and we saw what Sweeney did when he had the hammer last year with Hall so good luck with that

pooch

May 30, 2017
So you are saying if a random guy grabbed a random woman’s breast to be funny that getting arrested and “released without charges” is accountability? You do realize that’s sexual assault

Where was the accountability? He was released without any charges despite sexually assaulting an officer.

Letting you know being Drunk is not an excuse. Also that cop was put in a bad spot. If cop presses charges that cop gets a lot of crap for giving star hockey player crap.If the cop doesn’t they get razzed by whole department.

Back on topic Rangers giving up a first for 2 months for him makes no sense. Makes more sense to let him finish out 2 months with Flyers. Only fit is Bruins and we saw what Sweeney did when he had the hammer last year with Hall so good luck with that

Painfully dumb.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

This is exactly why having good prospects who can come up and contribute on ELCs is extremely useful for a contender, and why giving them up for rentals to try to go all in isn't always the best idea.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
This is exactly why having good prospects who can come up and contribute on ELCs is extremely useful for a contender, and why giving them up for rentals to try to go all in isn't always the best idea.
Especially when Giroux doesn't address any of the Avalanche team needs. Last I checked scoring isn't an issue.

Reactions: Gruyeriev

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Lmao so why does Strome have same stats line as him. If he’s better than half of Rangers top 6 why is Giroux’s team so bad yet Rangers so good?

Rangers are not offering a first for a POS rental. Deal with it

You are being obtuse in all of your weak points. I'm not sure if you know this or not...but ice hockey is a team sport. So...who does Strome play with......ohh yeah Panarin. Plus he's on the top PP unit of the 5th ranked PP team in the NHL. Calling Strome a better player because he's on a better team is just ignorant.

Reactions: BillDineen

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania

No. That's not what im saying and now youre trying to put words in my mouth. I was talking about the Giroux incident. And by me saying it's not as bad as the Chicago situation doesnt mean Im justifying what Giroux did. Intent matters as does the severity of the action. To create another scenario is ignorant and to compare Giroux being a drunken idiot to what Kyle Beach went through says a whole lot more about you than it does about me or anything else in this discussion. You should know when to draw the line when making a dumb argument.

And maybe perhaps if the cop felt like he was infact sexually assaulted to the point where it effected his ability live his life he wouldve proceeded with charges and im sure 99.99% of people would back the cop that scenario. To say he dropped charges because of the status of the offender is plain stupid on your end unless you were there during altercation, proceedings, etc. Get outta here with this crap. You made a distasteful comparison

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Most Avs fans have said they'd be willing to move Barron and the 1st. Byram and Newhook should 100% be off the table, name me one rental trade that has returned a prospect on either of their levels.

Barron and a 1st seems fair. I still would like Fletcher to go for Newhook...but I wouldnt expect a 1st on top of him.

The market will set the price I guess. I still think avs fans will love G.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I think I'd say Barron OR the 1st. Essentially 2 1sts + Compher for ~20 games of Giroux still seems a little bit too much to me. If Barron goes, the pick should be a 2nd.

I dont think you appreciate how good Giroux is. The best part about him is his versitility. Hes not the kind of star that you have to move mountians to accomodate, he can fit into a number of roles for the Avs and make the players around him better. Even little things like putting him put there to win a key faceoff is an example of how you can improve your team.

The guy has done incredible things on shit teams in a brutal division for over a decade. The prospect of him being on a great team in a weak conference and not the focus of other teams defense is down right scary.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Listen, I'm not a Mod - but I'm going to act like a support officer:

Giroux and his incident with the cop is completely irrelevant to any trade happening right now. He's faced no discipline in the courts or in the NHL as a result since it occurred. It will be a non-factor in any trade.

The fact that this conversation has been going on for a full day is silly. If you're going on about that incident, there's some misguided projection happening in this thread.

Please stop and get back to the actual trade discussion.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Listen, I'm not a Mod - but I'm going to act like a support officer:

Giroux and his incident with the cop is completely irrelevant to any trade happening right now. He's faced no discipline in the courts or in the NHL as a result since it occurred. It will be a non-factor in any trade.

The fact that this conversation has been going on for a full day is silly. If you're going on about that incident, there's some misguided projection happening in this thread.

Please stop and get back to the actual trade discussion.
sorry, the incident should and can be discussed how it will affect the trade. The incident itself should be avoided. Good try

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
sorry, the incident should and can be discussed how it will affect the trade. The incident itself should be avoided. Good try

It's not going to affect the trade. It hasn't affected anything in the many years since it happened.

As we speak, he's representing the Eastern Conference as its Captain. It's a made-up hurdle at this point.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I dont think you appreciate how good Giroux is. The best part about him is his versitility. Hes not the kind of star that you have to move mountians to accomodate, he can fit into a number of roles for the Avs and make the players around him better. Even little things like putting him put there to win a key faceoff is an example of how you can improve your team.

The guy has done incredible things on shit teams in a brutal division for over a decade. The prospect of him being on a great team in a weak conference and not the focus of other teams defense is down right scary.

Yeah, he's a great player. But, the Avs are also pretty good without him There's no reason to pay desperate GM prices for a luxury.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

If the Avs had more assets I’d agree, but Sakic already overpaid for Kuemper and the expendable asset cupboard is fairly empty. I think Giroux is the ideal target, but winning the cup is still insanely hard. If the Avs had a 10% chance to win the cup I’d say Giroux adds at best an extra 3-4%, as opposed to a player like Stastny who adds an extra ~1% chance and costs significantly less.

I could see Sakic maybe doing Barron + 1st if he was allowed to negotiate a contract extension with Giroux or get a general sense of what he was looking for, but if that doesn’t happen I think Sakic only offers Barron/1st + 2nd/3rd value.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Yeah, he's a great player. But, the Avs are also pretty good without him There's no reason to pay desperate GM prices for a luxury.
I love what TBL did the last 2 years. And from a pick prospect perspective they overpaid for Savard and Goodrow and Coleman. And they won 2 cups and tbl fan don't care if they overpaid. Could TBL have won the cup without Savard? Good possibility. Was it worth pick 32, plus? Daniel Bryan would be chanting YES YES YES!

TBL COL, CAR and Vegas are the 4 teams that are so close they should not care a lick if they overpay (You can add Florida too. But Vegas Car TBL and Col for sure.) . I am not talking stupid overpays like Newhook. But 1 and a- propsect absolutely they should be interested.

Kadri has gone full Kadri for last 2 years. And needs a veteran backup plan if he goes full Kadri again. If Col fans wants to make the case Hertl is a better option than Giroux, I can make that case. But we don't need to make a move when Col is this close is just the wrong strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad