Speculation: Claude Giroux and the Colorado Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Last minute draw in a game 7 defending a lead, NHL coaches definitely want to win it even if statistically it doesn't correlate in the regular season. This is pretty obvious

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
He was so good today. Sure it’s silly to overreact to an all star game, but I wonder if Sakic wouldn’t pay more to pitch an enticing enough package before a TDL bidding war. All up to Giroux himself ultimately of course.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Roo will not come cheap but he will be a huge asset to any team that picks him up....he is always healthy, hard working and very very talented.....probably has a few good years left in him still.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Last minute draw in a game 7 defending a lead, NHL coaches definitely want to win it even if statistically it doesn't correlate in the regular season. This is pretty obvious

Specific faceoffs can matter for sure. Such as the example you just gave. You definitely want someone on your team you can trust for important a key faceoff.

But in general. They really don't matter. There's no correlation at all between a good faceoff team and being high in the standings, or winning a cup.

Reactions: OrangePMD

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I have no faith in Chuck to work this situation correctly. At this point, I don't even really care what the return is, I just want to see Giroux rewarded for the thankless task of carrying an inept team on his back for the last decade plus with nothing to show for it. G winning the cup on another team may be the closest in my lifetime I get to experience a cup win. Does't even matter where he's traded. He could get traded to the Pens or the Rangers for all I care (unthinkable just months ago), that's how badly f***ed the situation is in Philly.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Rangeri

Sep 29, 2020
Lapland
Fletcher has to win this trade, even if its contract year, one of the franchise best players ever and captain. You should get 1 asset that is very good. G has likely 2-3 very good years left, and team who gets him have chance to get him for more than one run.

Thats why if i'm Flyers I demand Byram, Newhook or from Rangers Schneider, Kakko etc. A really good prospect.

Different story if there is only one team where he wants to go, but if there is 2 you can make it a battle.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Fletcher has to win this trade, even if its contract year, one of the franchise best players ever and captain. You should get 1 asset that is very good. G has likely 2-3 very good years left, and team who gets him have chance to get him for more than one run.

Thats why if i'm Flyers I demand Byram, Newhook or from Rangers Schneider, Kakko etc. A really good prospect.

Different story if there is only one team where he wants to go, but if there is 2 you can make it a battle.

I'm aiming big if I'm the Flyers, unlike most commenters on HF....I'm not sure what the return will be. If you can't get a first and a plus prospect from someone, they don't deserve him. Only one team can win the Cup.

mja

Jan 7, 2005

Chuck will probably trade G & a 2nd for a late first, a try hard roster player with salary, and a bad-decent prospect. The man loses trades like it is his mission in life. Dude effectively traded Ghost, a 1st, two 2nds, and Robert Hagg for Rasmus freaking Ristolainen, AS A 1-YEAR RENTAL. Typing that out seems absolutely ridiculous, yet that's a thing he actually did.

And for his efforts, he'll fail upwards and get a senior exec position when they hand the GM spot to Briere.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Chuck will probably trade G & a 2nd for a late first, a try hard roster player with salary, and a bad-decent prospect. The man loses trades like it is his mission in life. Dude effectively traded Ghost, a 1st, two 2nds, and Robert Hagg for Rasmus freaking Ristolainen, AS A 1-YEAR RENTAL. Typing that out seems absolutely ridiculous, yet that's a thing he actually did.

And for his efforts, he'll fail upwards and get a senior exec position when they hand the GM spot to Briere.

We get it, you don't like Chuck and you're justified. He's earned it, I don't see the problem with Briere though. I mean, outside of him being a former flyer...he really doesn't scream "Broad street bully retread hire."

mja

Jan 7, 2005
We get it, you don't like Chuck and you're justified. He's earned it, I don't see the problem with Briere though. I mean, outside of him being a former flyer...he really doesn't scream "Broad street bully retread hire."

I didn't say Briere was a problem. I'm hanging my hopes on the idea that he's uniquely suited to both handling the old guard and building a team that correctly identifies skill as something that's actually important.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I didn't say Briere was a problem. I'm hanging my hopes on the idea that he's uniquely suited to both handling the old guard and building a team that correctly identifies skill as something that's actually important.

Apologies, my bad. I just saw "handed to him," and figured it was another Flyers fan shooting down a potential hiring before it even happened.

Reactions: mja

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Apologies, my bad. I just saw "handed to him," and figured it was another Flyers fan shooting down a potential hiring before it even happened.

I mean, it's still a massive problem that management of the team is run via cronyism, but I have no faith that the old guard will be shown the door or allow a progressive hire from outside of the organization, so our only hope is that Briere is the chosen one who can bring a progressive mindset to the team from inside the current hierarchy. It's a rather flimsy hope but it's all we've got at the moment.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

The only way you can make it a battle is there are willing participants. If the demand is Newhook or Byram, the Avs response should be a hard pass, because they are simply not on the table for a rental, I don't care who it is.

Rangeri

Sep 29, 2020
Lapland
The only way you can make it a battle is there are willing participants. If the demand is Newhook or Byram, the Avs response should be a hard pass, because they are simply not on the table for a rental, I don't care who it is.
Yeah and that is fine. They are very good prospects. But doesn't mean Flyers should trade G for low value. I actually think they should resign him if there is no good offer there.

Reactions: phil162888

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yeah and that is fine. They are very good prospects. But doesn't mean Flyers should trade G for low value. I actually think they should resign him if there is no good offer there.

If Giroux wants a shot at the Cup and requests a trade to a contender (aka the only way he gets moved), I don't see how refusing to trade him because they aren't getting back a big enough return is going to help the Flyers resign him. To me, this seems like the kind of situation where the Flyers should take the best offer they get, even if it's not "good enough", and wish him the best. He's earned that much.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If Giroux wants a shot at the Cup and requests a trade to a contender (aka the only way he gets moved), I don't see how refusing to trade him because they aren't getting back a big enough return is going to help the Flyers resign him. To me, this seems like the kind of situation where the Flyers should take the best offer they get, even if it's not "good enough", and wish him the best. He's earned that much.
The flyers have earned hm giving them a big enough list to get the flyers the best deal well he goes for his cup. Don’t understand the perspective loyalty is one way. They are giving him a chance at a cup for another team and he is giving them the best return possible is What I think is fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: phil162888

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
G on the Avs would be filthy. As would Miller for different reasons…. Sounds like it’s all in time for Colorado whatever happens

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The flyers have earned hm giving them a big enough list to get the flyers the best deal well he goes for his cup. Don’t understand the perspective loyalty is one way. They are giving him a chance at a cup for another team and he is giving them the best return possible is What I think is fair.

I don't disagree with any of this. I just don't see how turning down the best return possible and demanding someone like Byram or Newhook is going to work in the Flyers favor. When those demands are laughed at, is he supposed to just accept that they refused to give him a shot at the Cup and happily sign an extension in Philly?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't disagree with any of this. I just don't see how turning down the best return possible and demanding someone like Byram or Newhook is going to work in the Flyers favor. When those demands are laughed at, is he supposed to just accept that they refused to give him a shot at the Cup and happily sign an extension in Philly?
Agreed. No best trade includes Newhook. A 1st a good prospect and they should move him.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I could see the Avs parting with Byram as part of a package, as his health issues are a concern. If the ask is Byram and a 2023 1st (or something along those lines)? Make that deal pronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad